PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question re: Speed Graphic use...

Scott --
11-Aug-2009, 11:34
Hi, all -

I recently picked up a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic. In prepping it for use, and familiarizing myself with the shutter mechanism, I find myself a little confused as to how to use the shutter in conjunction with the ground glass. I have the shutter set open, and can compose on it, then need to wind the shutter to the desired setting before I can shoot??? If I've got that right, that's hardly useful for shooting portraits.

Ok, lemme hear it - I'm missing something, right?

Thanks,
Scott

jnantz
11-Aug-2009, 11:44
hi scott

if you are using the focal plane shutter in the back of the camera
that is exactly what you need to do. open your lens and shutter up
focus, close down the lens, wind up the shutter and then expose your film ...
the other alternative is to leave the fp shutter on "0" and use the shutter that
is on your lens.
i like using the fp shutter, and find it less problematic than using
the lens shutter ... the only problem is that you have to remember
to darkslide your film, before winding the shutter again ...
what kind of portraits are you hoping to take ?
i use a graflex slr, which has a similar shutter to the one in your
speed graphic, and find it works great for making portraits ...
maybe i am just used to it ...

good luck!
john

Scott --
11-Aug-2009, 11:52
Hi, John -

I'm interested mostly in portraits of my kids. My typical workflow with a 5x7 Seneca is to get them in focus and composed, they hold still while I slap in a holder, pull the darkslide, set the shutter, and take the shot. Total of maybe a couple seconds (my son's a pro at it, too). But I can't imagine them holding still long enough after composing for me to wind that thing, insert holder, pull darkslide, then shoot.

I got the thing to use with barrel lenses - maybe I need to look for the SLR instead... :rolleyes:

Scott

Bill_1856
11-Aug-2009, 12:17
You've got a rangefinder to focus with, and an optical viewfinder to compose with. Use them for moving subjects and/or hand holding -- that's what they're there for!
For static things, such as landscapes and still-lifes, use the ground glass.

Scott --
11-Aug-2009, 12:23
Bill, the rangefinder and optical viewfinder are incomplete on this cam. Got it for a song, and cobbling together as I go. GG focusing is the only option with this'n, for now...

venchka
11-Aug-2009, 12:54
On my 1953 Ektar 127mm lens in Supermatic (X) shutter there is a button on top of the shutter. Press it and release the lens shutter (already cocked) and the shutter opens for composing and focusing. Cock the shutter again and the blades close. Insert holder. Pull darkslide. Trip shutter-either from the body shutter button or on the lens.

Good luck.

jnantz
11-Aug-2009, 13:03
hi scott

yeah, the slr's are something else.
it seems there are fewer things to deal with,
since the film is already on the back of the camera
ready to have the darkslide pulled,
you focus & expose ...

i have been chasing my kids around with it for years ...

have fun!

john

mercadov
19-Aug-2009, 17:54
It's funny just last week I took my Pre (with ground glass only for focusing) for an editorial test run and this is what I encountered on a hot midday:
Forgot to bring a blanket and couldn’t focus, ground glass too bright, so I decided what the heck it’s a test “guess my focusing distance”, this is the funny part, when I went to set the curtain shutter I forgot my glasses and couldn’t read the small plate settings. Most definitely this is a studio or landscape rig. I also plan to create a large document with all the settings and tape it on top of the camera for reference.
vm

Robert Oliver
19-Aug-2009, 18:18
if it was easy.... THEY would do it!