PDA

View Full Version : Autolab 2300 developing t-max 100

Jfnphotography
6-Aug-2009, 05:29
I have a Jobo Autolab 2300 and want to start using it to process t-max 100 4x5 B&W film. I have a few questions. Here is the temp, chemicals and times I was going to try.
68 degrees in a 3010 Jobo drum, D-76, TF-4 Fixer

d-76 full strength for developing, time?
Rinse 2:00 minutes
TF-4 fixer for 6 minutes
Wash for 5 minutes

Do I need a pre-rinse? If so how long?

How long for D-76 developer. I have seen 5 to 9.5 minutes.

What chemical volume for the 3010 drum, 210ml?

Do I need to put film in all the tubes?

Rotation speed, 50rpm?

Do I need to wash the film after or will the drum do a good job?

When loading the film the film notch is on the top left side?

Any other tips?

Thanks, Jacob

Greg Blank
8-Aug-2009, 15:44
Hi Jacob;

Pre washing - wetting is advised for Jobo's,... 5 minutes.

Personally I would not use full strength D-76 on anything. Produces too much contrast even when one is hand processing "IMOP". One to One dilution the process time is about 11 minutes depending on rating of the film.....

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=TMax+100&Developer=D-76&mdc=Search

After developer rinse use acetic acid-stops the devolper instantly.
You can rinse for 2 minutes after fixing, wash for an hour or use permawash for fifteen minutes, ortherwise you film will have fixer on it still. I use a separate film washer, not really practical to use the processor and drum....also more lift accuations just wear out the ATL arm < which should be a consideration, since my time and a new arm make the repair somewhere around 2,000 dollars US.

I have a Jobo Autolab 2300 and want to start using it to process t-max 100 4x5 B&W film. I have a few questions. Here is the temp, chemicals and times I was going to try.
68 degrees in a 3010 Jobo drum, D-76, TF-4 Fixer

d-76 full strength for developing, time?
TF-4 fixer for 6 minutes
Wash for 5 minutes

Do I need a pre-rinse? If so how long?

How long for D-76 developer. I have seen 5 to 9.5 minutes.

What chemical volume for the 3010 drum, 210ml?

Do I need to put film in all the tubes?

Rotation speed, 50rpm?

Do I need to wash the film after or will the drum do a good job?

When loading the film the film notch is on the top left side?

Any other tips?

Thanks, Jacob

Jfnphotography
8-Aug-2009, 17:42
Greg,
Thanks you for the information. This will give me a good starting point. Washing the film outside of the processor is a good idea.
Jacob

Greg Blank
9-Aug-2009, 13:58
Jacob;

Missed a couple of bits. 210 ml would be the minimum for use with one sheet, I would maybe double that.....the film won't absorb more of the developing solvent than is required to complete the development, but it will manifest problems if enough solvent is not present or does not cover the emulsion. "Alway place the emulsion inwards toward the tube center" - that means the emulsion does not contact the tube walls....the notch would be topside in the drum on the right.

I actually would go for 75 rpm as a standard.....use 50 for over exposed film or using long developer times 15 minutes plus with dilute developers. YMMV :)

Let me know if this worked out, also if you found a better method. Best of luck!

Greg

Greg,
Thanks you for the information. This will give me a good starting point. Washing the film outside of the processor is a good idea.
Jacob