PDA

View Full Version : Satin Snow contact info?

Ari
5-Aug-2009, 07:44
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any contact information for Satin Snow. I ordered a GG in March, never got it, and since then all emails and phone numbers no longer work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

nelson_chan
5-Aug-2009, 07:58
I'm in the same boat. I ordered two pieces of 8x10 glass from Dave in Dec. 2007 and still have not seen the glass or heard from him. I know he was dealing with some tough life situations right before he decided to stop production. I hope I one day get them out of the blue in the mail, but doubt that will happen. I'm just chalking it up to a loss based on unfortunate events on his side which were out of his control. He was extremely nice when I dealt with him however.

Good luck.

Ari
5-Aug-2009, 08:09
Nelson,
That was my experience as well: nice guy, back problems, but assured me he would make the GG nonetheless.
Luckily, it was only a $25 lesson.
Good luck to you as well.

Walter Calahan
5-Aug-2009, 19:00
He closed his business. Some terrible family tragedies, as well as health issues. He did promise to complete all orders, though. Perhaps it was overlooked by accident.

asd
5-Aug-2009, 21:05
That's why it would be safe to deal with original camera manufacturer, no matter it is only $25. For me, if I pay $25 on an accessory to my 8x10 system, I do have an expectation on what would my camera be if I put this $25 item in my system. It is not a matter of $25.

And it is a trust that we put on a company which claims that order with payment would be fulfill and delivered. It is not a charity money that I donate to a school or hospital.

Linhof
5-Aug-2009, 23:40
asd:

What I see here is a deception. Better to call police...

kev curry
6-Aug-2009, 00:11
Maybe you should do some research before you reach for the noose! ...some more names to file under ''People not to have any dealings with''!

Greg Lockrey
6-Aug-2009, 01:10
Maybe you should do some research before you reach for the noose! ...some more names to file under ''People not to have any dealings with''!

Yeah, I always have my doubts with people using phoney names.

kev curry
6-Aug-2009, 01:37
I've never had any dealings with Satin Snow personally, but I recall quite clearly from reading threads here on this forum that the guy had some extraordinarily difficult personal and family issues to deal with. Doing a search and gaining some understanding of the issues he faced should be enough to extinguish any ideas about shouting fraud or informing authorities!

Linhof
6-Aug-2009, 02:25
Difficulties? Ha ha... very funny!

Did he die? If not, why not return the money he receive? He does not have even a sense of responsibility!

RichardRitter
6-Aug-2009, 04:27
See post by Dave Parker http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35453&highlight=satin+snow

Greg Lockrey
6-Aug-2009, 04:30
Difficulties? Ha ha... very funny!

Did he die? If not, why not return the money he receive? He does not have even a sense of responsibility!

He may have, or he could be in a convalescence home and out of touch. My wife for example is in such a home and is out of touch for similar reasons and it came up practically overnight. Since we pay $300 per day for the room not including the medical treatment all other debts quite frankly come second. We been doing this for two years and we see a lot of people that have been in there a great deal longer. Until you wear his shoes it would behoove you not to cast judgement. Dave historically has been a very upstanding guy and deserves the benefit of the doubt. This is a pretty close knit group as internet forums go and it's advantageous to be on other people's good side here.

bsimison
6-Aug-2009, 05:14
I'm also waiting for a 4x5 piece of glass from Satin Snow, and I ordered before any of these health/family issues were announced here on the forum. So like others, I'm chalking that money up to a loss.

Ash
6-Aug-2009, 05:42
I have dealt with Dave a few times, and if you did some research before posting libel then maybe you'd see where the situation lies. As for placing an order in March, was that March 09? His website has noted his health/family issues for some time now - you shouldn't have placed an order any time after this time last year...

Brian Ellis
6-Aug-2009, 05:59
I've never had any dealings with Satin Snow personally, but I recall quite clearly from reading threads here on this forum that the guy had some extraordinarily difficult personal and family issues to deal with. Doing a search and gaining some understanding of the issues he faced should be enough to extinguish any ideas about shouting fraud or informing authorities!

I remember and I certainly sympathize with the difficulties he talked about here some time back. But if he can't produce the ground glass it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to return a payment - address an envelope, lick a stamp, drop it in the mail box.

Brian Ellis
6-Aug-2009, 07:03
I have dealt with Dave a few times, and if you did some research before posting libel then maybe you'd see where the situation lies. As for placing an order in March, was that March 09? His website has noted his health/family issues for some time now - you shouldn't have placed an order any time after this time last year...

Ah - it's the buyer's fault for ordering the product. So it's o.k. for the seller to keep the money because the buyer should have known better than to order the product.

BTW Ash, in the U.S. truth is a complete defense to a charge of libel. I don't know that the OP is telling the truth. But neither do you know that he's lying. So you might want to go easy on the accusations of libel.

Ari
6-Aug-2009, 07:13
Hi,
Original poster here. I spoke to Dave personally at the time I placed the order, in March of this year. He told me about his back problems, and was surprised that I had placed an order; he thought the website was down (it wasn't). He said he would fill the order nonetheless. After two months I called the number I had and it was out of service, ditto for the website and email. After waiting another two more months and still no GG , I tried using Paypal to file a claim, but it was much too late to do that. I managed to type in the order number on Paypal's webste before being told they could not process this claim.
Lo and behold, twelve hours later, a refund from Satin Snow appeared in my Paypal account. I sent a return email saying I would rather have had the GG, and wished Dave good luck and good health; I hope he got the message.
Thanks Dave, wherever you are.
End of story.

Ash
6-Aug-2009, 16:24
Brian, libel was accused toward another poster's remarks, not Ari's.

As with Ari's response - paperwork will be the last of Dave's worries. Anybody who hasn't received their glass can always directly request a refund.

DaveAlbano
7-Aug-2009, 02:36
I've been waiting since June 2007. A couple times a year I shoot a email reminder. It was $16.95. His tragedy factored into my tolerance. I wish him well and if I still have that 4x5 Shen Hao camera, when the GG arrives, I look forward to evaluating the improvement and comparing to the Linhof I now use.