PDA

View Full Version : D72 diluted developer for film.

Howard Barron
1-Aug-2009, 18:00
Do any of you old timers recall using D72 for film development? I have some 5x7 film to develop and want to use D72 as grain is not a problem with that size film. My memory says dilute about 1:4 and go about 5 minutes at 68 degrees. Does that sound reasonable? We used to develop orthrochromatic film right along with prints, but that has been a while ago. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed Pierce
3-Aug-2009, 09:16
I just did a bunch of 8x10 Tri-X in D-72; straight, 9 minutes at 70F. Used constant agitation for the first minute and then for 15 seconds every 30 seconds. Got a good "N" zone viii density of 1.30, film was exposed at asa 200.

CG
3-Aug-2009, 10:27
Straight for 9 min sounds a bit long for most films. May be best to test a couple of sheets to be sure before you shoot something irreplaceable. The guidelines I've seen indicate to dilute 1 to 1 and process for 4 minutes as a starting point for testing.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Aug-2009, 17:18
D-72, now sold as Dektol, will develop Ortho high contrast graphic arts film in 3 to 5 minutes at 1:2. I have not tried it with Ortho pictorial films such as Ilford Ortho Plus. Whole different game with that. It will do the job but you need to test for time and dilution. I think I would start with a 1:4 ratio and work from that. If you're going to use graphic arts film for pictorial puposes, I think something like 1:9 would be worth trying. News photographers used D-72 back when the earth was still cooling because they often needed to get the film developed and a print ready in minutes. It went straight to the press room while still dripping wet.

John Cahill
3-Aug-2009, 19:09
D-72, now sold as Dektol, will develop Ortho high contrast graphic arts film in 3 to 5 minutes at 1:2. I have not tried it with Ortho pictorial films such as Ilford Ortho Plus. Whole different game with that. It will do the job but you need to test for time and dilution. I think I would start with a 1:4 ratio and work from that. If you're going to use graphic arts film for pictorial puposes, I think something like 1:9 would be worth trying. News photographers used D-72 back when the earth was still cooling because they often needed to get the film developed and a print ready in minutes. It went straight to the press room while still dripping wet.
We souped 4x5 Super Pan Press Type B in straight Dektol, two minutes, with constant gentle agitation in a 5x7 tray. Fix; photo-flo; shake the neg off and print the negs wet in an Omega D2.

Ed Pierce
4-Aug-2009, 05:07
Are we talking about the same D-72? Mine is mixed from scratch according to the recipe in Anchell's cookbook. In it, the recommended starting time for asa 400 film is 10 minutes undiluted at 68F.

BradS
4-Aug-2009, 11:08
Are we talking about the same D-72? Mine is mixed from scratch according to the recipe in Anchell's cookbook. In it, the recommended starting time for asa 400 film is 10 minutes undiluted at 68F.

Apparently not.

Kodak D-72 is well known to be essentially the same as the commercial paper developer, Dektol. As such, its activity is far greater than any normal film developer. Ten minutes in straight D-72 / Dektol would absolutely cook any common continuous tone B&W film. The usual trick for processing film was to dilute D-72 (Dektol) 1:5 and process for 5 minutes or 1:9 for nine minutes.

Glenn Thoreson
4-Aug-2009, 11:10
I just re-read your question and I think I was off base with my answer. I thought you were doing Ortho films, which doesn't seem to be the case at all. I would go with Anchell's data. D-72 is a pretty "hot" developer, so 400 film in 10 minutes seems reasonable. You will know right away if adjustment is needed. Good luck and let us know how it does. :D

CG
4-Aug-2009, 12:04
Ed, are you sure you are looking at recommendations for D-72? What you are noting sounds more like D-76, not D-72.

While rather far from a perfect source - the Massive Development Chart: www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php shows tri X 400 in Dektol (D-72) well diluted at 3 1/2 to 5 minutes ... more in line with what I would have thought.

Ed Pierce
6-Aug-2009, 05:38
Ed, are you sure you are looking at recommendations for D-72? What you are noting sounds more like D-76, not D-72.

While rather far from a perfect source - the Massive Development Chart: www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php shows tri X 400 in Dektol (D-72) well diluted at 3 1/2 to 5 minutes ... more in line with what I would have thought.

Oops sorry folks I was confused...I used D-23, not D-72 (inserts foot in mouth)

Howard Barron
11-Aug-2009, 13:29
I couldn't believe all the responses. I tried it. I shot 5x7 ISO 200 Arista at 100 and developed it in dilute 1:4 D72 mixed according to Steve Anchell. I got decent negatives, a little dense with a lot of contrast. I developed for 5 minutes. I think I will try using 1:4 at 5 minutes to see what comes out. What I got I can print easily with VC paper. Thanks. I will keep you informed.

Howard Barron
11-Aug-2009, 13:30
I really meant I think I will try 1:5 for 5 minutes. Sorry about that.

BradS
11-Aug-2009, 13:40
cool! Please keep us posted...and, may we see the result too? :)