PDA

View Full Version : Strapless in Toronto - Source for Straps for LF Cameras

Richard K.
1-Aug-2009, 06:54
Good day all. Anyone know of a source of leather straps (and clips to attach them with) to attach to the top of the rear standard of strapless Chamonix LF cameras? :confused: I love the Chamonix cameras but the company seems to have an aesthetic contraindication to supplying large cameras with straps. IMO the straps provide a real assistance in lifting and positioning these large cameras onto the tripod head. So, if you know of a place, please let me know. :)

Archphoto
1-Aug-2009, 08:49
Why not make an attachment for the strap yourself from some aluminium and use a MF strap ?
Those straps can hold a much heavier Mamiya RB 67 and have a neoprene padding.
If you want to go that route I will digg up an adress for you.

Peter

Keith Pitman
1-Aug-2009, 12:05
Here's a picture of the Phillips handgrip. I've never seen one in the flesh, but it looks like there are brass inserts in the wood, a grommet in each end of the strap, and attached with a couple of washers and screws at each end. It's pretty simple and you could probably do it yourself. I've thought about it for my 7x17, but haven't undertaken it and have gotten used to holding the camera by the base while I attach it to the tripod. If you do put a handgrip on your camera, please post pictures and let us know how it works.

kub
1-Aug-2009, 19:38
Good day all. Anyone know of a source of leather straps (and clips to attach them with) to attach to the top of the rear standard of strapless Chamonix LF cameras? :confused: I love the Chamonix cameras but the company seems to have an aesthetic contraindication to supplying large cameras with straps. IMO the straps provide a real assistance in lifting and positioning these large cameras onto the tripod head. So, if you know of a place, please let me know. :)

That's what old pants leather belts are for:-)

Richard K.
1-Aug-2009, 20:09
Thanks for your replies. It's obvious to me now that I stand a good chance of producing what I need by myself, and that's what I'll do. It seems like the Phillips method will be the easiest. Now, which old belts don't I need... :D

It may take a few weeks but I'll post the result when done.

jp
1-Aug-2009, 20:41
I had a local cobbler make a strap for my graphic.

iozone
1-Aug-2009, 20:46
I would check Luggage Repair shops. look at this link:

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/Graphics/Catalog_Web/P27%20Catalog/Section%20F/pages/page%20144.htm

Len Middleton
2-Aug-2009, 06:44
Richard,

If you do not want to do a lot of the grunt work yourself, you might want to consider "LF Deardorff Parts by Attrevida" on FeeBay. He provides Deardorff straps and mounting hadware, assuming of course a Deardorff strap for 8x10 will be strong enough for your new baby. I have purchased from him before and he provide good service and he communicates well.

Sorry I missed seeing your new blonde at the gathering at Rob's in Burlington earlier this year.

Regards,

Len

Archphoto
2-Aug-2009, 08:14
Just have a look at this site (http://www.optechusa.com), there might be something intersting on it.

Peter

eli
3-Aug-2009, 06:08
See if you can find an old portable typewriter case for a donor strap, which is made for a heavy load. Your local Salvation Army or Goodwill should have something and the hardware will be durable, though you may have to grind off and then supply new rivets.

Cheers, Eli

John Powers
4-Aug-2009, 14:58
Here's a picture of the Phillips handgrip. I've never seen one in the flesh, but it looks like there are brass inserts in the wood, a grommet in each end of the strap, and attached with a couple of washers and screws at each end. It's pretty simple and you could probably do it yourself. I've thought about it for my 7x17, but haven't undertaken it and have gotten used to holding the camera by the base while I attach it to the tripod. If you do put a handgrip on your camera, please post pictures and let us know how it works.

I have a RH Phillips 7x17, one of fifteen Dick built. There is an insert in the wood that receives the slotted screw. The screw as well as other screws on the camera does not draw a magnet which I believe indicates it is stainless. The springs on the back do attract the magnet. The screw goes through a similar metal washer which holds the strap, and then into the similar metal insert in the wood. The strap is 1” wide.

There is no grommet at either end of the strap. The leather is cut off square. The screw at the right end of the strap is ¾” from the end of the strap. This screw and washer fasten the strap tight against the wood with no side to side movement. The screw at the left goes through the strap 1 ¾” from the left end of the strap. Though this screw is tight in its receiving insert, it is not tight against the wood. The strap on the left side can move left and right about a ¼”. I can only guess that this movement is to protect against the shock of lifting the camera 12 pounds, but I am not sure of its purpose.

I also have an older RH Phillips 8x10 Advantage Series. I have watched Dick go over and fine tune each of these cameras. Dick has walked me through his home basement shop where he has built 600 cameras. None of my other friends has a computerized milling machine in his basement shop, especially one where the operator has reworked the software to fit his needs. Nothing that Dick has done is without a purpose. I just don’t know what the purpose of the above is.

If there are any questions I can answer about the strap or camera, please send me a PM as I may miss seeing it in the thread.

John

rob cruickshank
4-Aug-2009, 15:08
Lee Valley has some leather strap hardware that might work:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=53680&cat=3,43496,43492