PDA

View Full Version : Efke Positive Paper & Film Holders - No Go

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 08:34
Just got my first batch of Efke positive paper to play with in 4x5 size and lo and behold, the sheets do not fit into my Toyo film holders (paper is too wide).

Without a darkroom and safelight, I cannot trim the sheets to fit.

To those of you shooting this stuff, how are you doing it?

Thanks,
Jim

chachi
30-Jul-2009, 08:46
it's funny, the first pack of the 4x5 i got fit straight into the holders. ever pack since i have had to cut down with a paper cutter. it's like an 1/8 of an inch.

vinny
30-Jul-2009, 09:11
They had it in film holder sizes when it first came out, at least it was labeled as such as well as regular sizes like 8x10 and 11x14. I went to freestyle yesterday to find out that the fiber stuff isn't available anymore! bummer. I just started to enlarge some slides onto this stuff. Fun while it lasted.

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 09:24
This ain't lookin' good for me. Bummer!

MIke Sherck
30-Jul-2009, 10:15
Get a small paper cutter and stuff towels underneath the bathroom door, I suppose. :)

Mike

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 10:37
Get a small paper cutter and stuff towels underneath the bathroom door, I suppose. :)

Mike

Got a bathroom, got towels, got a small paper cutter...no safe light to see what I'm doing.

Guess I could order just a red bulb and quit complaining.

Thanks,
Jim

AF-ULF
30-Jul-2009, 10:50
Jim,

I think the photo gods are telling you it's time to set up a darkroom.

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 10:51
Jim,

I think the photo gods are telling you it's time to set up a darkroom.

I know, I know. I have to wait for my house to sell in AZ and complete a move to Washington before I can tackle that.

Wallace_Billingham
30-Jul-2009, 11:18
Got a bathroom, got towels, got a small paper cutter...no safe light to see what I'm doing.

Guess I could order just a red bulb and quit complaining.

Thanks,
Jim

Go to your local Wal-Mart. Go back to the camping section. For $5 they sell little LED Lanterns that you can hang up in a tent and run on 4 AAs. It has 3 settings one is bright white, one is not so bright white, and the other is just a single Red LED. Every LF shooter should have one. The single red LED makes a great safelight

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 11:30
Go to your local Wal-Mart. Go back to the camping section. For $5 they sell little LED Lanterns that you can hang up in a tent and run on 4 AAs. It has 3 settings one is bright white, one is not so bright white, and the other is just a single Red LED. Every LF shooter should have one. The single red LED makes a great safelight

Great idea, Wallace. Thank you!

Which reminds me...anyone an astronomer here? I have red LED flashlights for reading charts at night and I am assuming that a red LED is a red LED. I should be able to use these as both have a dimming switch. It should be no different than the one Wallace is talking about.

BarryS
30-Jul-2009, 11:39
I found the best led safelights at http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=MR16#E27-x24 They're amazingly bright and cheap ($7.95). It's the red E27-x24 LED bulb (wide 100 degree).

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 11:44
I found the best led safelights at http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=MR16#E27-x24 They're amazingly bright and cheap ($7.95). It's the red E27-x24 LED bulb (wide 100 degree).

Barry,

Another outstanding suggestion. Probably better than trying to manipulate the direction of a hand held device. Cheap. too!

Thanks

Brian Bullen
30-Jul-2009, 11:49
Jim, I have the red version(E27-R24) of this light for the darkroom and it works very well. http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/E27-W24.htm Only a few dollars more than the battery powered one and you never have to replace batteries.:)

EDIT. Barry beat me to it!:) I highly recommend it.

William McEwen
30-Jul-2009, 11:53

Cool idea.

THAT'S why we have this forum! Thanks!

chachi
30-Jul-2009, 11:56
also, if $5 is too expensive for you, i put a piece of tape on the mark where the non-cut edge is supposed to line up on the paper cutter. you can just run your fingernail over it and find it. easy.

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2009, 12:07
Brian,

Thanks for the second on the LED light.

Chachi,

thanks for that tip. I can get some paper cut while I'm waiting for the bulb.