PDA

View Full Version : Winter Photo Trip

jeroldharter
29-Jul-2009, 21:22
I have as long as one week in January for a photo trip. I can go wherever I want in the lower 48 states. What are your favorite places at that time of year that would occupy me for an entire week?

I plan to take a 4x5 and 8x10 setup with the goal of getting acquanted with 8x10 and exposing enough film to keep me busy during the rest of the Wisconsin winter. So I want to go somewhere relatively photogenic for landscape photography. I went to Death Valley last year and would love to go back but I want to go somewhere else this year. Thanks.

vinny
29-Jul-2009, 22:37
Zion, it's cold but......one of my favorite spots.

Blueberrydesk
30-Jul-2009, 03:11
Fly into Albuquerque, rent a car, buy a good map, and have fun. Any direction you drive in will give you pleasure.

evan clarke
30-Jul-2009, 04:30
North Shore of Lake Superior!!..EC

venchka
30-Jul-2009, 05:29
Zion, it's cold but......one of my favorite spots.

Fly into Albuquerque, rent a car, buy a good map, and have fun. Any direction you drive in will give you pleasure.

AMEN! Up high for winter. Down low for almost winter. Zion isn't so far away. Lots to see and photograph between the two. Perhaps you can combine Albuquerque and Las Vegas for the plane part and a one way car rental.

Tom Conway
30-Jul-2009, 05:38
Either Yellowstone or Sedona; both are fantastic in January. Enjoy! Tom Conway.

Tintype Bob
30-Jul-2009, 05:44
Eastern Kentucky - The mountains and coal mine areas are great to photograph

jeroldharter
30-Jul-2009, 20:17
I was doing some more research:

What about Mono Lake and Bodie and environs in winter? Looks like I could fly into Las Vegas and drive from there.

Donald Miller
30-Jul-2009, 20:27
I vote for flying into Phoenix driving to Sedona then north into Monument Valley with stops at Canyon de Chelly and the slot canyons at Page. But then I love winters here.

Or if you want something that someone hasn't photographed to death you could do the Imperial Dunes near Los Algodones Mexico (near Yuma, Arizona) from there Joshua Tree is within manageable distance.

jeroldharter
30-Jul-2009, 21:08
Donald,

I like your idea of Canyon de Chelly and slot canyons. I have done neither and the winter weather should be ok.

The slot canyons look a bit complicated for access and timing. Any recommendations for that? I emailed a place that does tours to see if I could get a private guide for a couple days (? price). Looks like Monument Valley is in the neighborhood and I have never been there either.

What is the appeal of Sedona? I was there once and it seemed like a big/rich fancy nursing home for oddlings. It is a beautiful place but did not seem photogenic. I did not get much off the beaten path though.

Heroique
30-Jul-2009, 23:49
If you live in Wisconsin, Chicago's just "down the road."

A bitter cold wind might be whipping-off Lake Michigan, but the city's beautiful architecture by the water (ice bergs, I might say) would make me forget the chill. And a winter sunrise or some dramatic, morning fog (that "comes on little cat feet") would add to the shivering visual magic...

Landscape + architecture in one.

Tom Conway
31-Jul-2009, 04:27
Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon appeals to me for the red rock, various gulleys, cliffs, vistas, wonderful sunrise/sunset shots, cedar and other trees, glistening brooks, and yes, the occasional oddling on the streets or in the shops. The "New Age" aura appeals to others too. I'd say spend 2-21/2 days there, especially for sunsets/late afternoon shots off the rock.

evan clarke
31-Jul-2009, 05:45
We were in Bodie in October and had knee deep snow.Roads were closed to some of the places at that altitude...EC

Eric Brody
31-Jul-2009, 06:11
I agree with Evan, and was with him on that trip. Bodie is at 8,000 feet. I was down there in March of this year and the road to Bodie was officially closed as was the road up to Whitney Portal though we were able to get in there by going around the sign.

Eric

Keith Pitman
31-Jul-2009, 08:17
I'd put in another vote for Zion. The days are very pleasant, crowds will be moderate, and the scenery doesn't change. The negatives are that the days are short and it is cold at night.

Donald Miller
31-Jul-2009, 10:17
Donald,

I like your idea of Canyon de Chelly and slot canyons. I have done neither and the winter weather should be ok.

The slot canyons look a bit complicated for access and timing. Any recommendations for that? I emailed a place that does tours to see if I could get a private guide for a couple days (? price). Looks like Monument Valley is in the neighborhood and I have never been there either.

What is the appeal of Sedona? I was there once and it seemed like a big/rich fancy nursing home for oddlings. It is a beautiful place but did not seem photogenic. I did not get much off the beaten path though.

Jerold,
You will need a guide into the slot canyons. It can be cold up there in the winter but probably nothing compared to home for you. Sedona is scenic for it's red rock but I don't compare it with Monument Valley as being as photogenic. Sofar as prices for guides at the slot canyons, I really don't have any information or recommendations to make on that.

Canyon de Chelly can be photographed from the rim of the canyon or you can hire a guide or join a guided tour into the floor of the canyon. One of Ansel's well known photos was taken there. Again, it can be cold on the rim of the canyon in winter. But probably nothing like home for you.

Monument Valley can be accessed without a guide. In fact I have never used a guide there. The road into the canyon can be handled with an automobile as opposed to a 4WD. A very unique place.

I don't think that you would run into any problems with heavy snow in this region.

Hope that you have a fun time no matter where you decide to go.

Best regards,
Donald Miller

venchka
31-Jul-2009, 10:27
Albuquerque is still the leader for Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Ship Rock, Bisti Badlands, and a lot of interesting things to/from Monument Valley.

Wallace_Billingham
31-Jul-2009, 12:24
Come to NW Pennsylvania. Lake Erie will be frozen or just about frozen over by then which makes for very cool images. Then move inland a bit and you will be in the heart of the Lake Erie Snow belts (where I live) we get 200+ inches of snow a year. The region is full of rolling hills/small mountains and flowing streams with waterfalls. In the snow it is all very nice and very under photographed

jeroldharter
31-Jul-2009, 13:28
If you live in Wisconsin, Chicago's just "down the road."

A bitter cold wind might be whipping-off Lake Michigan, but the city's beautiful architecture by the water (ice bergs, I might say) would make me forget the chill. And a winter sunrise or some dramatic, morning fog (that "comes on little cat feet") would add to the shivering visual magic...

Landscape + architecture in one.

I think the rain in Seattle must be getting to you! Wisconsin is cold. If it is -20 here, I want to escape. Chicago is too close to home. At least above freezing during the day is a must. Chicago is a good place for photography though. Someone mentioned (perhaps jokingly) the north shore of Lake Superior. If I ever move to Florida, maybe I will do that in the winter for a getaway.

Heroique
31-Jul-2009, 14:11
I think the rain in Seattle must be getting to you! Wisconsin is cold. If it is -20 here, I want to escape. Chicago is too close to home. At least above freezing during the day is a must. Chicago is a good place for photography though. Someone mentioned (perhaps jokingly) the north shore of Lake Superior. If I ever move to Florida, maybe I will do that in the winter for a getaway.

Yes, this rained-on photographer has long desired to capture snowy-time Chicago on L.S.D. – buildings, beach, lake, fog – so I think I’m projecting a few of my photographic desires onto you. (And before anyone charges me with hallucinogenic photo habits, L.S.D. is Lake Shore Drive! ;) )

Perhaps you’ll pass through the Windy City on your return from the "High" Southwest…

h2oman
31-Jul-2009, 17:56
Concerning the slot canyons, I would wonder if the low angle of light in the winter would prevent the kind of lighting that creates the conditions for the images we all see.

Here's a different idea, assuming you are interested in landscapes: Fly into El Paso. Go to White Sands, the Organ Mountains, the Bosque del Apache, City of Rocks State Park, and/or, in the other direction, Guadalupe Nat Park and its El Capitan. Or fly to Tucson and take in southeastern Arizona, including Chiracahua National Monument and maybe the Nature Conservancy place over on the AZ/NM border.

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2009, 15:43
It kind of depends on what you're after, dosen't it?
FWIW--
Snowy peaks: Colorado
Architecture: Quebec (OK it's not in the US, but close enough--beautiful in the snow!)
Coast: Big Sur
Desert: All those places already mentioned by others.
Pastoral grassland: The Coast range (It's green in the winter time)
National Parks: All of them except for the N. rim of the Grand Canyon
Throw in most of the South and Florida for good measure.
It sounds like a blast no mater where you end up!

evan clarke
2-Aug-2009, 17:28

No joke, it's cold enough to turn your cojones to brass but also spectacular....EC