PDA

View Full Version : Largest Zeiss Tessar in Shutter?

Ron Marshall
27-Jul-2009, 17:00
What is the largest Zeiss Tessar that can be mounted in a shutter? I am interested in the range from 250mm to 360mm f4.5.

I will probably go with a behind the lens shutter to keep costs down, but I'd just like to know what my options are.

Steve Hamley
27-Jul-2009, 17:15
Probably a 360mm f:4.5. I had a 36cm Heliar custom mounted in a Compound #5, and it still reached full aperture of f:4.5. I don't think they were ever offered factory mount in a #5 though.

Cheers, Steve

Toyon
27-Jul-2009, 17:45
Wollensak Velostigmat 12"/4.5 in Compound #5 is known to exist.

Ron Marshall
27-Jul-2009, 17:57
Probably a 360mm f:4.5. I had a 36cm Heliar custom mounted in a Compound #5, and it still reached full aperture of f:4.5. I don't think they were ever offered factory mount in a #5 though.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve.

Did you have Grimes mount it? Roughly what would that set me back?

Steve Hamley
27-Jul-2009, 18:41
Ron,

Yes, Adam did the work. I don't remember the exact price, but it was relatively pricey as the adapters were huge, and I had him make 105mm filter adapter. I seem to recall about $400 for the lens mounting.

jpeg attached.

Cheers, Steve

Ron Marshall
27-Jul-2009, 20:33
Ron,

Yes, Adam did the work. I don't remember the exact price, but it was relatively pricey as the adapters were huge, and I had him make 105mm filter adapter. I seem to recall about $400 for the lens mounting.

Cheers, Steve

Beautiful lens Steve! Is it a front mount to the shutter?

Steve Hamley
27-Jul-2009, 20:40
Ron,

No, it's properly mounted fore and aft. So that's only the front cell you're looking at. The rear cell is much shorter though. I'll try to post another pic tomorrow. BTW, front mounting would cost quite a bit less if the shutter can hold that much weight in front, which Adam questioned for the Heliar. The tessars have a bit less glass though.

Cheers, Steve

Ron Marshall
27-Jul-2009, 21:13
Ron,

No, it's properly mounted fore and aft. So that's only the front cell you're looking at. The rear cell is much shorter though. I'll try to post another pic tomorrow. BTW, front mounting would cost quite a bit less if the shutter can hold that much weight in front, which Adam questioned for the Heliar. The tessars have a bit less glass though.

Cheers, Steve

Steve, what size board is it on?

Cheers Ron

IanG
28-Jul-2009, 01:45
360mm f6.3 Tessars were sold factory mounted in Compur shutters. A modern alternative would be a Coated f6,8 360mm Docter Optics Tessar in a Copal 3.

Ian

Steve Hamley
28-Jul-2009, 04:18
Ron,

Sinar board. Attached jpeg shows side view.

Ian, yes, you could find Tessars of smaller maximum aperture in shutters at longer focal lengths, such as the Bausch and Lomb Series IIb and you could find those at around 18" or so in a #5 shutter. A 14x17 IIb in Ilex 5 showed up for sale here a few months back.

Cheers, Steve