PDA

View Full Version : starting to get afflicted

jp
27-Jul-2009, 16:50
It was cheap enough to pick up a speed graphic and I was a LF photographer.

Camera, accesories, lens CLA was all under $300. Then I got an enlarger for 4x5, which cost me $50 and a few hours. Then I needed some more chemicals, film, and paper. Then a second lens and some filters.

Then I wondered about taking my speed graphic up in the air, so I researched (thanks to the archives here and the rest of the Internet). I've avoided the expense of LF roll film and the weight of the surplus aerial camera. I decided I'd likely get a WWII combat graphic as it's bellows/standard would be protected from the wind by a metal shield. I ended up winning in auction a Gowland aerial 4x5 instead for substantially less than a combat graphic might go for. I will probably use it from a piper super cub with a window latched up, or stearman biplane a local air museum operates.

So far, I've got a fairly extensive and fascinating collection of working gear, and it's less expensive than a used DSLR, that would likely be outdated in a year or two.

Steve Hamley
27-Jul-2009, 17:20
So far, I've got a fairly extensive and fascinating collection of working gear, and it's less expensive than a used DSLR, that would likely be outdated in a year or two.

Tell me about it. I've had a printer die in less than a year, and my scanner is dying after about 5-6 years. Most people would think that's a decent life for a scanner, but what burns my biscuits is that I was trying to scan a negative from my 1920's vintage (or earlier) Eastman #2 whole plate camera, which still works just like the Great Yellow Father intended it to, after 90 years or more. And besides that, it looks good too.

Cheers, Steve

Archphoto
27-Jul-2009, 17:51
jp: we all seem to have that feeling, you just got yourself the LF bug.

And don't wory about the DSLR getting "outdated", it will be so when you say/think it is.

Good shooting !

Peter

John Kasaian
27-Jul-2009, 18:54
The Gowland aerial cameras rock! The 4x5 version also has a lens that is fast enough to reliably handle fixed wing airspeeds. I use mine (8x10 version) for night photography using the sports finder and a lightwieght tripod or "found" supports---it allows me to work (relatively) quick and unobtrusive. Have fun! :D

brian d
27-Jul-2009, 19:22
when you get your first speed graphic you cross the point of no return

Wade D
28-Jul-2009, 02:04
Brian speaks the truth!;)

jb7
28-Jul-2009, 02:38
My habit is mostly under control.
If I found myself trading in my tripod for a piper super cub I might start to worry-

jp
28-Jul-2009, 04:54
I know better than to own a powerboat or plane! It would be fun, but I don't have the time or means presently.

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Jul-2009, 08:51

I have found this to be the truth… and a problem. I now have three speed graphics, 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5. They are all pre-anniversary speeds, but they work and work well. A lot of fun to use. I also have been infected with the Graflex SLR bug. I have one 2x3 RB Series B, a 3x4 Auto-Graflex, 3x4 RB Series D and a 4x5 RB Series B. My digital camera is sitting on the shelf while I have fun with REAL cameras. :) :) :)

brian d
28-Jul-2009, 09:32
I also have been infected with the Graflex SLR bug.

;) yep, me too:rolleyes:

ki6mf
28-Jul-2009, 16:54
I have a 2x3 century graphic for street photography and a 4x5 Crown that has been refurbished. Shutter and lens work great. I am ordering a Copol 0 lens board to use this as a portrait camera. With front movement it will work great in my make shift studio. I use it a lot for night photography! It compliments my Shen Hao field camera nicely. I may just start carrying it around for daytime street photography too!

Jon Wilson
28-Jul-2009, 18:48
I found that if I want to take a rig out and not worry about lots of equipment, I haul my Pacemaker and some barrel lens. The focal plane shutter works great and the images possible with the old petzval or RR are PRICELESS! Enjoy your addiction. Jon