PDA

View Full Version : camera

madmax12
26-Jul-2009, 09:27
I have tried to buy cameras on ebay:mad: now its time step up and buy :eek: new So I would like to get a 4x5, but should I get a 8x10 with the reducing back to a 4x5. I will be shooting mostly landscapes to macro in the landscapes ,does that make sense. I like the chamonix If I buy one of these what extras would you recommend. Are there other cut film slides that fit this or should I but a couple of theres Sorry as a newby :o we have a lot of questions and this site is the source Thank you in advance Craig:)

Archphoto
26-Jul-2009, 09:40
There is a huge diference between 4x5 and 8x10: size, weight, money for the camera, money for the lenses (the one's for 8x10 are more expensive), money for a tripod, money for film and so on.

Have you been photographing with a 4x5 jet ?

And one other thing: if you buy a 8x10 with a 4x5 reducing back forget the wide angles for 4x5 as your 8x10 bellows can give you problems. That could be overcome with a bag bellows, but still.

One solution: get a monorail like a Sinar where you can change your format frame and bellows and keep both standards.

If you want both in a field: get both of them !

You are looking at a Chamonix: have a look at a Shen Hao HZX45-IIA or PTB 54 too.
They are less expensive, so you will have some money left for lenses and film.

Peter

madmax12
26-Jul-2009, 14:48
thank you for the suggestions I believe I will start with the 4x5 and get my feet wet. I have taken a class for LF in the past I look forward to shooting the cameras ..I guess i could go with both:D

John Kasaian
26-Jul-2009, 15:55
How far afield do you plan on taking your camera? How much $$ do you want to spend?

For a first camera, I'd recommend a used one because there are plenty of them available and only after you get comfortable with a camera will you know what features you do and which you don't need or want.
Once you establish that, you might want to look for a new camera (and Chaminox is very well regarded) that encompasses the features you desire.

4x5 is excellent---lots of film emulsions are available that are relatively inexpensive(compared to the larger format) and the film holders aren't too terribly expensive either.

8X10 requires more co$tly film and film holder$ and you'll need a heavier tripod too. OTOH you'll have superb contact prints while with a 4x5 you'll likely enlarge (add a 4x5 enlarger to the equation) or scan and print. Of course someone is bound to mention the 5x7 alternative (and it is a good one, but since you've mentioned 4x5 and 8x10 I'll limit my comments to these formats.)
FWIW I like 8x10 and I'm willing to schlepp the gear around, OTOH what you want to do is your business. Either way, it's fun!
Have fun!