PDA

View Full Version : Microtek ArtixScan 2500f vs. Dainippon screen 1030ai

Daniel Strasshofer
24-Jul-2009, 00:17
Hi,
I´m now using a Dainippon screen 1030ai for my medium and large format positives. I have the chance to buy a new old stock Microtek ArtixScan 2500f for 300 USD.
Do you think they are nearly the same quality? I´m get tired of wet mounting!

Bruce Watson
24-Jul-2009, 05:38
Hi,
I´m now using a Dainippon screen 1030ai for my medium and large format positives. I have the chance to buy a new old stock Microtek ArtixScan 2500f for 300 USD.
Do you think they are nearly the same quality? I´m get tired of wet mounting!

Near the same quality? No. The Screen is a much better scanner. And fluid mounting has a lot of good things going for it. So much so that you'll probably find yourself fluid mounting with the 2500f anyway.

It all depends on how much quality you want, and that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

eman
24-Jul-2009, 13:26
I wouldn't say "don't get it", but I would say don't replace the 1030 with the flatbed.
There are times a drum scan just isn't necessary and the flatbed scan will be good enough. There are times I just want to do a quick scan and my flatbed is the way to do that.
Also one can always do a dry scan on the 1030 with good results (if the film isn't scratched) when having less hassle is more important.
Eric