PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Lens; and Jewels photography

Agustin A. Barrutia
27-Sep-2001, 01:12
Well this is a double question. The first one is related to a lens that I bought. I got a scnheider xenar 210 4, 5 and I would like to know what do you know about it. Its an old lens with a com pound shutter (from 1 sec to 100). I read that its better for landscape photogra phy, but I was thinking of using it for porttrait or even a product photography . I dont have the money to but a new lens and that's why I have to stay with thi s old one. What are the cons of using such a lens in macrophotography (1:1 or ev en 2:1)?. The other question it's related to jewels photography. Someone proposed me to ma ke a catalog of her products and I don't know if shooting with my 4x5 (a calumet cc400) would be better (as I still don't control it that much, specially the mo vements) than using my 35mm camera(the "client" its the mother of a friend, so m istakes are permited). But the big problem its that I've never lighted jewels. A ny recomendations on this topic? I will be using tungsten lighting. THanks in advance. Agustin Barrutia, Buenos Aires, Argentina. abarrutia@velocom.com.ar

Thomas Vaehrmann
27-Sep-2001, 03:27
Hi, first, your Xenar is still a good performer, although new lenses would do some jobs better. And as you have no other choice, try it. It was the standard lens for all kinds of photography, including portrait and product photography. The Tessar-type was also used for macro lenses, perhaps distortion could be visible if the object is rectangular. As it seems to be uncoated, you should use a shade to avoid flare. And now to the jewels: I can only give you the same advice: try it! Problems are the "right" color, depth of field (you will practice Scheimpflug) and the cost of the film material. Gold is a rather soft material, so you will see fine scratches on it when you make a close- up. Avoid a technical approach documenting just the jewels. People who look at a catalog should like the jewels and want to buy them.