PDA

View Full Version : Public darkroom in CT / RI area?

semck83
23-Jul-2009, 13:11
Hello all,

I hope this is not the wrong forum for this -- please feel free to notify me if it is.

I live in East Texas, officially, but during the school year, I am in graduate school in southern Connecticut. Unfortunately, while there, I live in a rather old and very small apartment with a cramped bathroom that will never be a darkroom. Even processing there would be a major pain, and printing will just never happen.

So, I looked into whether my school has any darkrooms I might be able to access, and it seems not to. I then looked at other area schools I know of, in case they might have a darkroom they would let me use for a fee. Similarly luckless. So -- does anybody know of a university, community college, or anything else in Connecticut (preferably southern) or, failing that, in Rhode Island, etc., that you know to be open to selling darkroom access to the public?

Otherwise, I will just be shooting color, which is fine I suppose, but I prefer B&W.

Many thanks,
Stephen

Toyon
23-Jul-2009, 14:27
Photosynthesis in Manchester, CT.
http://www.photosynthesisct.com/

venchka
23-Jul-2009, 14:31
Stephen,

Stand by. Just so happens I know somebody who used a play for pay darkroom in CT. I'll ask him to chime in here.

wclavey
23-Jul-2009, 14:51
Stephen:

I lived in the Hartford area for 4 years and just recently moved back to my home in Houston. While in CT, I rented darkroom space on a weekly basis from a photographer named Eric Dreeke. Eric is a published photographer and teaches photography at several of the central CT colleges and has a multi-station darkroom setup that he contracts back to the schools for darkroom classes. He rents these stations out by the hour when they are not in use for school classes. I do not know what film formats he is equipped for - - I only shot MF when I lived there. I will send you his phone number in a PM if you are interested.

semck83
23-Jul-2009, 14:54
Toyon -- thank you. They seem worth checking out.

Westley -- I would be very interested. Please do PM me his phone number. Thank you much.

Regards,
Stephen

jnantz
23-Jul-2009, 15:31
try as220 (http://www.as220.org)

semck83
23-Jul-2009, 23:10
jnanian,

This looks very interesting as well -- thank you!

Stephen

chy
25-Jul-2009, 16:44
I'm coming late to this thread. Yes, I'd put in a good word for the AS220 darkrooms if getting to Providence isn't a big hassle for you.

AS220 is quite a resource. You can see other people's work, meet other people, eat and drink, and use the darkrooms all in one place.