PDA

View Full Version : My New Chamonix 7x11 Arrived...

Richard K.
23-Jul-2009, 11:27
OK, I don't usually brag, but this camera compels one to step out of character! It is truly beautiful, the workmanship is impeccable and I love the Golden Ratio aspect. It was definitely worth the wait. It features a tilt-lock on the front standard, a 90 degree lock on the rear standard that can be engaged if desired, enough bellows for my 600mm Fuji, horizontal only (MY choice to keep weight down and I don't do a lot of verticals), removable back (I guess to allow the placement of a reducing back), a GLASS GG, levels galore and, as I already alluded, superb fit and finish. The holders fit perfectly and also show exemplary construction. SO, I guess you could say I'm happy with this outfit!
Many thanks to Hugo, Hass et al!
It's pouring out right now but as soon as it stops...

Here are a few quick digi pics:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/SevenEleven1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/SevenEleven2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/SevenEleven3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/SevenEleven4.jpg

punchwall
23-Jul-2009, 11:38
i personally just got my 8x10 Cham. and it is a joy to use. Hugo is a great guy to deal with and dealt with all my questions in a quick and timely manner.

Robert Fisher
23-Jul-2009, 12:06
punchwall, what was the delvd cost of your new 810?

Daniel Grenier
23-Jul-2009, 12:16
OK. You have WAY too many toys Richard. The other kids are getting really jealous! :mad:

punchwall
23-Jul-2009, 12:17
camera costed me 2,950 + 165 shipping

wfwhitaker
23-Jul-2009, 13:09
I wonder what it would take to get Chamonix to put handles on their cameras.

Richard K.
23-Jul-2009, 13:23
OK. You have WAY too many toys Richard. The other kids are getting really jealous! :mad:

Heh heh, don't be jealous Daniel, at least you live in a beautiful spot! As far as toys goes, this camera makes 4 in total (also have WP, 8x20 and 14x17). Because of my advancing years, I decided to indulge myself this way and plan to use all four cameras for the next year. After that I will acquiesce to encroaching infirmity and pick just one or two to continue to work with. :)

Richard K.
23-Jul-2009, 13:25
I wonder what it would take to get Chamonix to put handles on their cameras.

They seem to have an aesthetic intransigence with regard to this useful option. I managed to get a strap for the14x17 I got from them but it was attached to the base not the top of the rear standard..still helpful though...

Steve Hamley
23-Jul-2009, 14:11
Richard,

That's a handsome hunk of camerahood you got there.

Cheers, Steve

Matus Kalisky
23-Jul-2009, 14:32
7x11 is my secret platonic love for contact printing - I did some prints (just enlargements) in 7x11, 5x12 and 8x10 and the 7x11 is the one. But until I really find out what I want to do in photography I have to stay back what is hard, though the price is a great help here.

I hope to see your work here soon - you need to proof you are worth it ;)

enjoy the camera and our friendly and sincere envy :p

Archphoto
23-Jul-2009, 14:39
OK, my age is getting to me, it cost me a minute or so to regain my normal posture again:
this is one beauty !!! Congrads !

Peter

bert10
23-Jul-2009, 17:32
7x11 is my secret platonic love for contact printing - I did some prints in 7x11, 5x12 and 8x10 and the 7x11 is the one. But until I really find out what I want to do in photography I have to stay back what is hard, though the price is a great help here. I hope to see your work here soon - you need to proof you are worth it. Enjoy the camera and our friendly and sincere envy

prado333
24-Jul-2009, 08:04
Sincerely, i donīt understand how a chinesse product can cost 2850usd and a japanese
product like tachihara for example cost at badger 1495€ or a metal kb canham 2495usd and it is an american product.
is a copy of phillips explorer with no development or design cost and is in cost like a phillips one.
please if anyone understand it , explain me

SW Rick
24-Jul-2009, 08:47
According to Canham site, a new 7x17 is about US $5700- a tad more than $2850. While only a casual observer of the ULF scene, I use a 4x5 Chamonix very happily. From what I can see, nothing about ULF is priced cheaply.

prado333
24-Jul-2009, 09:01
i refer to 8x10 models

Jim Galli
24-Jul-2009, 09:24
Sincerely, i donīt understand how a chinesse product can cost 2850usd and a japanese
product like tachihara for example cost at badger 1495€ or a metal kb canham 2495usd and it is an american product.
is a copy of phillips explorer with no development or design cost and is in cost like a phillips one.

It's called C A P I T A L I S M. We used to do it in America. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and talent, and you make something. The market would probably bear more, so explain why it is so reasonable. They are a true bargain.

They truly are gorgeous! Out of curiosity, did Hass use the old Eastman standard for his 711 holders? I'm wondering if they are interchangeable with my 1903 Kodak.

GPS
24-Jul-2009, 09:49

It's called Chinese C A P I T A L I S M. They use to do it in China. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and someone's else talent, and you make something... :) It works as long as there are someone's else talents. Also for the development you have to wait for someone's else talent...

Richard K.
24-Jul-2009, 10:31
It's called Chinese C A P I T A L I S M. They use to do it in China. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and someone's else talent, and you make something... :) It works as long as there are someone's else talents. Also for the development you have to wait for someone's else talent...

Don't forget that Dick Phillips bestowed his imprimatur on these cameras and seemed, in fact, to be happy that someone will continue making his design and in ALL formats...:)

Richard K.
24-Jul-2009, 10:37
They truly are gorgeous! Out of curiosity, did Hass use the old Eastman standard for his 711 holders? I'm wondering if they are interchangeable with my 1903 Kodak.

I wish I knew, Jim. Here's the process I had to follow...some kind forumer gave me a sheet of Ilford 7x11 film that Hugo sent to China. A holder was built to ensure good fit of this sheet of film in the holder and then a T distance was incorporated on which the camera back was designed. I have no idea what this distance is. It would make sense to match the Kodak since it is just about the only other 7x11 camera out there, but I don't know. Maybe Hugo will chime in here! I'll tell you, it's great to have a new camera in this excellent format! :D

GPS
24-Jul-2009, 11:07
Don't forget that Dick Phillips bestowed his imprimatur on these cameras and seemed, in fact, to be happy that someone will continue making his design and in ALL formats...:)

A nice try :) Dick was put in front of the "fait accompli", nobody asked him for a permission before the camera production. That's not in the books of ethics of the Chinese capitalism... And sure was he proud that his design was now copied in all camera formats ;)

pocketfulladoubles
24-Jul-2009, 13:21
Does anyone care? It really comes down to what the market will bear. I see a lot of Chamonix cameras going around, and I have one myself. They are built very nicely, and pleasing to look at. The carbon fiber is a nice touch to keep the weight down.

Beautiful 7x11! Apparently the market is bearing well enough.

Michael Jones
24-Jul-2009, 13:48
A nice try :) Dick was put in front of the "fait accompli", nobody asked him for a permission before the camera production. That's not in the books of ethics of the Chinese capitalism... And sure was he proud that his design was now copied in all camera formats ;)

While it may have been a surprise to some, Dick understands this is evolution. His very first camera, which I owned, was his winter project. He wanted to copy his 8x10 Deardorff and incorporate changes to suit his style. He was partly successful (it weighed more than the original, but was much better construction) and lead him forward.

He is now winding down the business and will be selling his personal ULFs shortly. Things change and people move on.

Mike

Robert Skeoch
24-Jul-2009, 15:53
such nice cameras.... I'm going shooting at Websters Falls this week if you want to comealong.

-Rob

Oren Grad
24-Jul-2009, 20:36
It would make sense to match the Kodak since it is just about the only other 7x11 camera out there, but I don't know.

There's a 7x11 Korona in my menagerie. :) I've never seen a Korona-branded 7x11 holder, though.

Anyway, this one's lovely! Congratulations, here's hoping you have lots of fun with it.

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 06:34
There's a 7x11 Korona in my menagerie. :) I've never seen a Korona-branded 7x11 holder, though.

Anyway, this one's lovely! Congratulations, here's hoping you have lots of fun with it.

Thanks for the good wishes, Oren. I don't think I'll have a problem enjoying this camera! ;)
So what holders do you use and how did you establishment the proper fit? :confused:

Doug Dolde
25-Jul-2009, 09:55
I'll never understand why someone would want such an arcane format. 7x11? Must be a major PITA to get film that size. Why not 8x10?

Jim Galli
25-Jul-2009, 09:59
I'll never understand why someone would want such an arcane format. 7x11? Must be a major PITA to get film that size. Why not 8x10?

If you have to ask..........

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 10:07

Well for me, I am drawn to the Golden Ratio (7x11, 12x20, 6x10 are all similar in ratio) and I contact print the whole neg so there's no cropping or enlarging involved. It has a quite different aspect than 8x10, one which many people find more pleasing. As far as film goes, nowhere near a PITA; I have 10 boxes of 7x11 FP4+ sitting in my darkroom and I can acquire more on a regular basis from Ilford's yearly production run of the various LF film sizes. One can also cut 11x14 in half. Well them's MY reasons why someone would want such an arcane format. ;)

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 10:09
If you have to ask..........

What Jim says...:D

lfgary
25-Jul-2009, 10:15
Oh Thank Heaven For Seven Eleven!

Of all the cameras I have seen here in the large format forums this one is the most visually appealing to me. If I had one it would be in my office for all to view when it wasn't being used.

I have total camera envy.

Gary

Terence McDonagh
25-Jul-2009, 10:56

Most folks think that ALL LF cameras are arcane. 8x10 film is hardly something you pick up at your local camera store (unless you live here in NYC :) or somewhere equally blessed).

After looking at prints of many formats, 7x11 is one of the most pleasing formats for landscape photography, to my eye. It is very similar in shape to many classic lanscape paintings, etc that I love.

Now I just need to talk myself into "needing" yet another format after 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, Whole Plate, 8x10 and 8x20 . . .

Patrick Dixon
25-Jul-2009, 11:19
After looking at prints of many formats, 7x11 is one of the most pleasing formats for landscape photography, to my eye. It is very similar in shape to many classic lanscape paintings, etc that I love.

And not far off good old 35mm in aspect ratio ...

Jim Galli
25-Jul-2009, 11:33
Do you know this as a fact or it's just your imagination? next time when you claim something, make sure that is a fact before you run your mouth.

Oh geees. Say good-bye to your thread Richard. :rolleyes:

Songyun
25-Jul-2009, 11:49
Just one question for Richard, how would you compare the base of 711 with 810? They are certainly two different design. The 711 comes with more carbon fiber like the 045's base.

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 13:20
I have total camera envy.

Gary

Well, there's a simple (but expenditure dependent) solution to that problem! :D

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 13:28
Oh geees. Say good-bye to your thread Richard. :rolleyes:

Huh?

Sincerely, Richard :confused:

(Does who know what for a fact and not just their imagination?) I take it there were a couple of deleted posts, Jim?

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 13:31
Just one question for Richard, how would you compare the base of 711 with 810? They are certainly two different design. The 711 comes with more carbon fiber like the 045's base.

Songyun, I've never seen an 8x10 in the flesh, so I can't really answer your question. Maybe Hugo or someone else can comment. Definitely a lot of carbon fibre in the base of the 7x11! :)

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 13:51
Huh?

Sincerely, Richard :confused:

(Does who know what for a fact and not just their imagination?) I take it there were a couple of deleted posts, Jim?

Ooops, have just put it all together, no reply necessary. I'm glad that thread was voluntarily dropped.

Richard K.
25-Jul-2009, 14:00
Now I just need to talk myself into "needing" yet another format after 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, Whole Plate, 8x10 and 8x20 . . .

You know you need it, you want it, you must have it, it will make you complete, it will allow you greater communion with the past greats, it is the only format that not only presents in the Golden Ratio aspect but does so by incorporating the numerologically profound prime numbers 7 and 11. This camera will make you happy. Need I say more? :D

Terence McDonagh
31-Jul-2009, 13:55
Aside from the Golden Aspect Ratio part, that's the justification I used about my last girlfriend. So . . . you're going to have to try harder than that to convince me. :)

Richard K.
31-Jul-2009, 15:36
Aside from the Golden Aspect Ratio part, that's the justification I used about my last girlfriend. So . . . you're going to have to try harder than that to convince me. :)

Was she 77 (7x11) or 18 (7+11)? :D

Allen in Montreal
31-Jul-2009, 22:19
Richard,

I just saw this thread now, wow, that is a beauty! And the holders too! Sweet!!
I am very jealous.