View Full Version : Which Is the "perfect" Clip To Hold Sheet Film?

Jeff Liao
26-Sep-2001, 00:17
which is the " perfect" clip to hold sheet film? which brand?....

i have been thinking to make a small hole on the edge of my 8x10 film..then hang it with hook. i figure out 1/32" will be a good size....but i could not find any hole-puncher can do this. any idea?


Sean Yates
26-Sep-2001, 00:20
Why not go to the hardware store, or Radio Shack and get some "alligator clip" type electrical connectors. They are sometimes referred to as "Roach Clips" by those inclined towards pharmaceutical recreation. No need to make a small hole in the film, just clip it to the unexposed edge and hang it up to dry.

Steve Baggett
26-Sep-2001, 00:57
The Jobo sheet film clips are the best, IMO, but they are expensive ($39.95 for 10). The have a tiny needle-sharp post in them with which you can grasp the very edge of the film (within 1mm of the edge) and leave a hole the size of this peroid(.) Jobo #3524 B&H JOFCS.

Bill Jefferson
26-Sep-2001, 06:46
I took some plastic clips, sold as gorilla clips, and screwed in a small brass screw in to the jaw, to hold the film, this method makes them adjustable for the amount of pressure u want on the film. Bill

John Stockdale
26-Sep-2001, 08:04
Someone on another site, maybe rec.photo.darkroom said that the best are available at Ikea, where they think they are shower screen clips. I haven't seen them myself.


Andy tymon
26-Sep-2001, 09:10
Hi jeff Why don't you try the patterson film clips.they have two needles which puncture a hole in the edge of the film. They are made for 35mm but i just use one of the needles and hang the film by the corner and they aren't really that expensive. All you have to do is find somewhere that stocks patterson gear.

Walter Glover
26-Sep-2001, 09:35

I have used Kodak Dental Clips for decades. Stainless steel, rugged, gentle and small = ideal.


Alec Jones
26-Sep-2001, 09:57
IMHO, the BEST sheet film clips are Kodak Film Clips, Cat. No. 149 2594. They were real small clips, came in boxes of 10. Kodak described them as: "Designed for attachment to hanger frames in custom-built sheet film processing equipment. Spring-actuated jaws for firm hold on film w/o puncturing it. 3/16 x 1""

Not easy to find. Expensive, but worth every penny. They have serrated edges which simply don't punch through the film, but never slip.

I'd keep looking for clips rather than holes.

David R Munson
26-Sep-2001, 10:03
Pharmaceutical recreation? I think that's a varsity sport here at OU...

mark lindsey
26-Sep-2001, 19:40
doesn't anyone use wooden clothspins anymore? they have always worked for me....

Charlie Stracl
26-Sep-2001, 20:00
I bought some refrigerator magnets with big plastic spring clips. The magnet pops off, so I can hang them with a hook, and they have only light force, so they just hold, but don't damage. So far they've worked fine.

You can get 1/8 inch diameter paper punches, if you want to pursue that. For smaller holes, Harbor Freight sells a metal punch with a 2mm hole as the smallest in the set, and you can also look at a leather punch, which has a similar size hole, but might be harder to use.

neil poulsen
27-Sep-2001, 09:03
I forget the brand name or exactly what they're called, but I purchased a hole bunch of clips at an office supply store. They're about an inch wide and an inch long, maybe a half inch thick. The spring portion comes in different colors, several colors to a pack, and the clip and handle portion are chrome. They do a good job of holding onto just the edge of the film. And, they're inexpensive.

Being non-photographic, I was a little concerned that the chrome would deteriorate, or something. But, I haven't seen any problems.

Scott Walton
27-Sep-2001, 09:24
Why not just get some plastic cloths pins and put them on a corner. I used them for years. Just wash them off so there is NO risk on contamination(this is why you don't want to use the wooden ones!). I must say that I now have a cabinet dryer with the Kodak clips... Cheers

scott jones
27-Sep-2001, 20:24
Earlier in the large format pages I got this great clip tip. I now use small chromed clips called Boston Clip No. 0 (zero) made by the Hunt corporation. They are available at art stores in all sizes, mine for 24 cents each. The nice features are that the edges of the clips fit beautifully so that you can grab just a micron of that sheet film corner AND the handles already have nifty holes that make them a snap to hang on a piece of wire stretched over your tub or whatever. Cheap, precise, easy, cleanable if ever needed and no more marks in the picture are ever again... God, its fun to get so excited about film clips!! I know, its very weird.....


Mat Nikon
30-Sep-2001, 06:54
I use a small Jobo tray with two rubber bands strung across. There are two small grove at the bottom of the tray, so one tray can hold two 4X5 negs. I use the rubber band and and bring it in contact to the side of the negs. (Perpendicular to it.) So the negs will stay upright. Three trays, six negs, just enough for the Jobo drum.

Steve Clark
1-Oct-2001, 23:01
Just curious, if your film is clean, why would your wooden clothes pins become contaminated?

R. McDonald
1-Oct-2001, 23:25

I don't know, the ones I use seem to stay clean. I did have a problem using the Old style (one piece) ones they left a heck of a fold in the film... I now use the spring type..