PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for Horseman 45FA

Georgy Daneliya
20-Jul-2009, 22:26
Hello!

I've just bought a Horseman 45FA camera and now am considering a lens for it. The lens should be in a 135-150 mm range, and must allow reasonable movements (so Xenars and Ko are not an option). I do prefer that it would be possible to fold it into the camera.

By manies Sironar 5.6/135 is considered to be wonderful and compact. But at the same time, it's a bit pricey. Symmars (135 and 150) seem to be much cheaper on keh. But I don't have idea if it is possible to fold them into the camera.

So, I need your advice. Maybe someone have a list of lenses which can be folded into the Horseman 45FA?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Georgy

Armin Seeholzer
21-Jul-2009, 01:48
150mm its the G-Glaron
135 mm its only the Sironar N with 40.5mm Filtertread

Cheers Armin

Armin Seeholzer
21-Jul-2009, 01:54
Of you are looking for an G-Glaron 150mm, I have one to sell, I used it 2 times for macro shoots. It was one of the last runs from Schneider Kreuznach so its almost new!

Cheers Armin

Archphoto
21-Jul-2009, 04:45
An other tip: for the Linhof Master Technika I had a 150mm mounted on a recessed plate so I could close the camera with the lens mounted.

Peter

Armin Seeholzer
21-Jul-2009, 04:56
There are no recessed lensboards for the Horsemans because there lensboard is only 85x85mm.
You can only use lenses up to Copal 1.

Cheers Armin

Scott Knowles
21-Jul-2009, 17:05
Actually there are recessed lensboard for the FA/HD, which are really 80x80mm. Horsman brand can be ordered from B&H and folks (China) make sets for them available on eBay. Personally, I wouldn't consider folding one with the lens/lensboard mounted, but that's me and my HD.

Sal Santamaura
21-Jul-2009, 17:52
Actually there are recessed lensboard for the FA/HD, which are really 80x80mm. Horsman brand can be ordered from B&H...B&H lists 18 different Horseman lens boards, none of which are 80x80mm recessed. I'd be very interested in one made by Horseman; can you link us to it?

Oren Grad
21-Jul-2009, 20:37
I'd be very interested in one made by Horseman

There aren't any made by Horseman.

ic-racer
22-Jul-2009, 06:44
I have used Horseman 6x9 150 and 120 lenses that will allow the FA to close. These lenses cover 4x5 without significant movements. However, I usually never close the camera. I keep it in a bag in the open position. It is too much trouble to remove and replace the cable release and lens hood each time I want to compose a shot.

Sal Santamaura
22-Jul-2009, 06:48
There aren't any made by Horseman.I knew that. ;)

Scott Knowles
22-Jul-2009, 07:11
B&H lists 18 different Horseman lens boards, none of which are 80x80mm recessed. I'd be very interested in one made by Horseman; can you link us to it?

You're right, sorry. The five listed aren't recessed, because, just maybe as you say, there aren't any. They're either flat or extended. I'm curious why would you use a recessed one on a FA/HD? You need the extra length not less.

Peter Latner
22-Jul-2009, 08:37
The 135mm Apo Sironar-N (or Caltar II-N) is a great little lens, and the only 135 I know of that will fold into that camera. Used ones are very reasonable priced--usually in the $275-325 range. It's the Apo Sironar-S that's pricey (and, possibly, too large to fold into the camera).

Georgy Daneliya
24-Jul-2009, 05:12
Thank you guys!

Finally, I acquired Symmar-S 5.6/135. The camera cannot be folded with it, but the lens cost was reasonable.

Armin Seeholzer
24-Jul-2009, 16:13
Yeah thats what I told you it is needed a lens with only 40.5mm Filtertread or less!

Cheers Armin

pjimas
27-Aug-2009, 19:25
I have several new in the box Horseman lens boards 8cmx8cm, let me know if you are interested. contact at : dzimas@sbcglobal.net
Jim

Robin Hood
4-Oct-2022, 23:29
Hi all,

Id like to reawaken this thread to ask if either a Rodenstock 135 Sironar-N or a Schneider 135 Symmar-APO would fit inside the horseman FA while folded. Does anyone have any practical experience folding the camera with either of these two lenses mounted?

Many thanks in advance!

Robin Hood
4-Oct-2022, 23:43
Hi all,

Id like to reawaken this thread to ask if either a Rodenstock 135 Sironar-N or a Schneider 135 Symmar-APO would fit inside the horseman FA while folded. Does anyone have any practical experience folding the camera with either of these two lenses mounted?

Many thanks in advance!

CreationBear
5-Oct-2022, 06:31
The Sironar-N will definitely fold up in the camera, as, IIRC, does the 150/9 G-Claron. Another option you might explore if space is at a premium is to mount the lens backwards for transport--I'd proceed cautiously, though!

xkaes
5-Oct-2022, 07:13
Fujinon made a very nice, small, light 135mm NW f5.6 (IC=206mm) -- 6/6 design -- as well as other 135mm and 150mm lenses:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm (http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm)

Sal Santamaura
5-Oct-2022, 09:03
...ask if either a Rodenstock 135 Sironar-N or a Schneider 135 Symmar-APO would fit inside the horseman FA while folded. Does anyone have any practical experience folding the camera with either of these two lenses mounted?...

The Rodenstock 135mm Sironar N and Apo Sironar N both have front cells threaded for 40.5mm filters. I own both a Horseman FA and the latter lens. They definitely close inside the camera.

I've never handled a 135mm Schneider Apo Symmar, but its specifications indicate the filter threads are 49mm. Assuming that's correct, irrespective of how deep the front cell might be, it will not close inside a Horseman FA. Maximum front cell diameter to fit between the FA's rails is 43mm.

If you're interested in searching for some unicorns, my current favorite Horseman FA configuration is as follows. A 150mm f/9 Germinar W, which, given its 35.5mm filter thread size, closes with room to spare; Bill Maxwell's latest HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant screen (the only part still available new) topped by an AR-coated Beattie cover glass; all viewed through the Horseman Folding Focusing hood. Comfortably usable in full sun despite the lens' small maximum aperture.

Jeff Keller
5-Oct-2022, 09:08
The Kodak Wide Field Ektar 135mm is very small. Prices seem to have increased, however.

Tin Can
5-Oct-2022, 11:51
Horsemen cameras are for special people

I have most of their catalog

Robin Hood
6-Oct-2022, 15:09
Thanks all for this valuable feedback!

I think I’ll go for an APO Sironar N 135. This will be my first LF setup.

I’ll look into the Maxwell screens as a later point for sure. My work is all run and gun, portraits and landscapes, out in the open. Any other tips or advise would be warmly welcomed.

Best,

Sal Santamaura
6-Oct-2022, 15:20
...I think I’ll go for an APO Sironar N 135...I’ll look into the Maxwell screens as a later point for sure...Any other tips or advise would be warmly welcomed...
If you use filters, know that 40.5mm ones on that lens substantially choke down its image circle. I've tried both B+W and Heliopan types; neither is better than the other in that respect. I also obtained a Heliopan 40.5-43mm step up ring in an attempt to overcome the limitation. 43mm filters combined with the ring didn't help.

As far as I know, Bill Maxwell now only sells his Hi-LUX Ultra Brilliant screens. I used to use his previous Hi-LUX 4.7 screen, which was fine with f/5.6 lenses in daylight. The new version is more than necessary and has a narrower viewing angle, but will be good to have if you ever add slower lenses.

xkaes
6-Oct-2022, 18:18
If you use filters, know that 40.5mm ones on that lens substantially choke down its image circle. I've tried both B+W and Heliopan types; neither is better than the other in that respect. I also obtained a Heliopan 40.5-43mm step up ring in an attempt to overcome the limitation. 43mm filters combined with the ring didn't help.

Do you think a wider step-ring would help, say 40.5-46/49mm?

Sal Santamaura
7-Oct-2022, 08:39
If you use filters, know that 40.5mm ones on that lens substantially choke down its image circle. I've tried both B+W and Heliopan types; neither is better than the other in that respect. I also obtained a Heliopan 40.5-43mm step up ring in an attempt to overcome the limitation. 43mm filters combined with the ring didn't help...

Do you think a wider step-ring would help, say 40.5-46/49mm?

Somewhat, but the only way I found to completely avoid having a filter reduce the already rather small image circle of that lens was by obtaining an outside-mount 52mm adapter from S.K. Grimes. Of course, it was useful only on other cameras or by storing the lens off my 45FA, since nothing larger than 43mm diameter will close inside.