PDA

View Full Version : Unknown lensboard

Paul Ewins
19-Jul-2009, 21:18
I went to an auction yesterday and had a good battle with another bidder over a couple of lenses. He won round one, a nice 300/4.5 heliar with box, because I needed to save my dollars for the next round which was a 12 3/4 Cooke IIb knuckler. That one went to me at AU$500 (US$400) which seemed a good deal for a slightly grubby lens with board and a packard shutter on the back.

So this morning I set to and cleaned the lens and got the packard running a little better and then went to mount it on my Kodak 1B and it was only then that I realised that the board was a little bigger than the usual 9x9. This one is around 10 1/16 x 10 11/16 or 254mm x 271mm. Does anyone know what camera it might fit?

It is constructed in the usual manner with one large central piece and two thinner pieces attached with their grain running perpendicular to the central piece. The board is flat with no rebate on the back and a shallow slope at one end. It looks and feels like something that was made about 80 - 100 years ago.