PDA

View Full Version : Largest Arca-Swiss Plate

Blumine
18-Jul-2009, 20:48
I started thinking about this after posting on another thread.

Does anyone know largest standard Arca Swiss or Arca-Swiss clone plate with a 3/8 inch thread? Not something funky for use with a telephoto lens or anything like that.........

I currently have an 80mm Arca-Swiss plate with the 3/8 inch thread. I was looking for something larger around 100mm or more

Thank You.

Blumine

jeroldharter
18-Jul-2009, 21:11
Check out the Feisol and Photoclam plates. Kerry Thalman carries the Photoclam (PC-170-UP) version that is slightly shorter and has 2 screws.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-quick-release-plate-qp200-p-72.html

Feisol Catalog (plates on page 25)

http://ebook.ec21.com/kipc2/default1.html

Peter De Smidt
22-Jul-2009, 07:55
There are 250mm ones available on Ebay for about $40. I bought 6" one for a pano slide from krosno65, and the quality was very good.

Brian Ellis
22-Jul-2009, 08:13
Kirk sells a 4"x4" (100mm x 100mm) Arca-style plate with a 3/8 thread. I used one for many years, they're very nice.

Blumine
22-Jul-2009, 15:52
Kirk sells a 4"x4" (100mm x 100mm) Arca-style plate with a 3/8 thread. I used one for many years, they're very nice.

Brian,

Thank you very much. But I think they no longer make that size plate. I looked all over their website and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Blumine

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2009, 16:03
The Novoflex QPL 4 plate is 6.1 x 1.7". The Giottos MH649 plate is 5.5" long. They both come with 1/4 and 3/8" screws. Both are Arca compatible. The Giottos plate is edge calibrated in mm. Novoflex also makes the QPL PANORAMA plate which is also 6.1" long and is edge calibrated in mm but has a 1/4" screw only. All are Arca compatible. Novoflex also makes a 4.7" long plate and a 3.3" plate with 1/4 and 3/8" screws and Giottos also has a 3 5/8" long calibrated plate with both screw sizes.

Blumine
22-Jul-2009, 16:04
Hi Bob,

I have seen those, but I am looking more for a squarish plate, those are a little to skinny for my needs.

Thanks though.....

Blumine

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2009, 16:28
Novoflex also has a large, round acrylic plate with an Arca compatible plate. It is about 12" in diameter.

jeroldharter
29-Jul-2009, 18:17
Novoflex also has a large, round acrylic plate with an Arca compatible plate. It is about 12" in diameter.

Bob,

I could not find that anywhere. Could you post a link? Thanks.

Michael Mutmansky
29-Jul-2009, 18:21
The Kirk 4x4 plate is called the PZ-39, and I think you are right, they no longer list it.

I have one available if you are interested. Send me a PM.

---Michael

jeroldharter
29-Jul-2009, 18:24
I found a link at Adorama but the photo appears to be a panorama base. I can't find a photo of the actual product.

Archphoto
29-Jul-2009, 18:27
4x4" plate, Aluminium, thickness ?

Design and make one yourself !
All you need is the right size piece of aluminium, a vertical drill, 2 taps (one for 1/4" and one for 3/8" and the screws that belong to it......
It should not be that hard.......

Peter

Michael Mutmansky
29-Jul-2009, 18:33
...Except for the A-S part on the bottom...

Archphoto
30-Jul-2009, 03:40
So an option would be to mount a 4x4 DIY plate onto the A-S part ? ! ?

I take it that the 4x4 plate is needed for more stability.

I once had a stability problem with the center column of my Gitzo Studex Performance when I mounted my Sinar P2 on top of it.
I bolded the top plate of the center column to the tripod itself with 3 srews and never had a stability problem again.

Peter

Aahx
31-Jul-2009, 15:05
When I purchased my GV2 ballhead from Acratech a year ago I talked with one of the guys in the machine shop. He mentioned that they can make longer or larger size plates if needed. I had one of there plates modified to fit what I needed for a negligble cost. So anyone could always just call one or more of the companys that make AS plates (RRS, Kirk, Acratech, Photoclam, Arca Swiss, etc...) and ask them if they are willing to make what you are looking for, and if so... at what cost. Anyway... it's worth a try if you don't feel comfortable in making your own plate.

newmoon2night
18-Nov-2009, 13:04
The Kirk 4x4 plate is called the PZ-39, and I think you are right, they no longer list it.

I have one available if you are interested. Send me a PM.

---Michael

I know this thread is four or five months old, but although Kirk may not list the PZ-39 they still have them in stock (or at least one in stock to my knowledge).
It's not a lightweight plate though, weighing in at something like 8 ozs.

Bob Salomon
18-Nov-2009, 13:52
Bob,

I could not find that anywhere. Could you post a link? Thanks.

There is no picture of it. It is a round, clear acrylic plate with an Arca compatible plate on the bottom. It is used to photograph products over 360° by rotating the plate.

Jeffrey Sipress
18-Nov-2009, 15:26
I make my own plates in my machine shop, and can make any kind or size of plate you need.

SAShruby
19-Nov-2009, 14:43
Pardon my blunt ignorance, but what are the plates good for in LF world?

Sal Santamaura
20-Nov-2009, 14:08
I know this thread is four or five months old, but although Kirk may not list the PZ-39 they still have them in stock (or at least one in stock to my knowledge).
It's not a lightweight plate though, weighing in at something like 8 ozs.I have the original PZ-39, which has been on my Phillips Compact II for more than a decade. It is 4" square and does weigh close to 8 oz.

The PZ-39 that Kirk offers today is smaller and, I expect, lighter:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/3_3_8in_Square_3_8in_Thread_Universal_fit_Camera_Plate.html#

It's now 3-3/8" square with a 3/8-16 screw. If you click on the second image showing the plate's underside, you'll see much of the aluminum has been milled out. Based on the smaller size and lightening approach, I'd estimate it should be in the neighborhood of 5 oz. Check weight with Kirk to be sure.

Bob Salomon
20-Nov-2009, 14:51
Just found a 9.05" (23cm) plate from Giottos with 1/4 and 3/8" threads, anti-twist pop-up pins and cork top. It comes on a 17.5" long Giottos Arca compatible quick release base plate.

It that long enough?