PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Bron New Ownership

rdenney
17-Jul-2009, 19:23
Did I miss this? A quick search didn't reveal anything about it.

Sinar Bron Imaging, the U.S. distributor for Sinar, announced a change of ownership as of July 7. Bron Elektronik and Foba AG have bought out Sinar AG's share of ownership. They say they will still be the U.S. distributor for Sinar, but there will be changes in warranty and service policies. They plan to change the name, too.

Here's the press release: Sinar Bron Imaging Announces Change of Ownership (http://www.sinarbron.com/news/070709sbichangeofownership.htm)

Rick "thinking it's time to check for any spare part needs" Denney

Drew Wiley
17-Jul-2009, 20:49
All these guys have been together for a long time. But with Sinar's own sales
seriously declining due to the flood of used items on the market, it's probable that
the minor partners now have the upper hand. I wouldn't expect anything catastrophic, but this is a trying period of time for many manufacturers, and some
form of downsizing is inevitable. All of us are to blame, but who can pass up a
good deal?

rdenney
18-Jul-2009, 08:48
All these guys have been together for a long time. But with Sinar's own sales
seriously declining due to the flood of used items on the market, it's probable that
the minor partners now have the upper hand. I wouldn't expect anything catastrophic, but this is a trying period of time for many manufacturers, and some
form of downsizing is inevitable. All of us are to blame, but who can pass up a
good deal?

I, for one, refuse to feel guilty. At Sinar's new prices, I would never be able to own one of their cameras anyway. Being able to buy their stuff used makes it far more likely that they will see some of my dollars for parts or accessories than would otherwise be the case.

But it does expose a fundamental rule of commerce, and that is that the price is dictated by the market, not by the seller. The higher their price point relative to the market, the smaller their potential customer base. It does seem, though, that they have pursued the digital realm more interestingly than most. But the prices are still a bit too extraordinary to make much of a dent--small studios that might have used a Sinar once upon a time are probably now using an Canon or a Nikon. That leaves it to the niche of those who use such cameras just for the fun of it.

Rick "who owns a lot of orphan equipment" Denney

Thalmees
18-Jul-2009, 09:34
thanks for the information Rick.