PDA

View Full Version : Pushed TMAX 100 compared to TMAX 400

Dave_B
16-Jul-2009, 16:50
Folks:
Does anyone have any idea how TMAX 100 pushed two stops compares with TMAX 400 processed normally? If you never need to go beyond an ISO of 400, is it worth carrying two types of film as opposed to push processing the slower film? I backpack and am a tired old man and so two types of film is more than i want to carry.
Thanks,
Dave B.

jeroldharter
16-Jul-2009, 17:27
For backpacking, I would (do) use the TMAX 400 with a ND filter if I need longer shutter speeds. TMAX 400 is really nice film so I don't know how much TMAX 100 I will be buying from now on.

Walter Calahan
16-Jul-2009, 18:54
Tmax 100 rated at 400 looks far worse than Tmax 400 rated at 400.

I'd find a lighter tent or sleeping bag and carry both films.

Don't forget to buy a used 3-wheeled jogging stroller for all you LF gear. Far easier to push your stuff than carry it on your back.

Drew Wiley
16-Jul-2009, 19:29
On a full scale scene the shadows will drop out. TM100 has a steep toe. I've sometimes done this to deliberately black out the shadows then expand the midtones with plus development. Doing it with TM400 can give you that Brett Weston
print look, with bold shadows devoid of detail. And I've done this with TM100 and
"snatch" development of the print itself to get very silvery delicate midtones and
highlights for portraiture. But I'd never try it just to save carring a second film. I
think you'd be very disappointed with the results.

J D Clark
16-Jul-2009, 23:55
Dave,
I used TMAX 100 for a number of years before I experimented with TMAX 400 (TMY-2). I've found that it is a very fine film, and have been using it exclusively for the last six months -- if I have to load film holders (versus using Readyloads), then TMAX 400 is what I'm loading these days.

Now, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and in this case, how the resulting prints look. My very first print from TMAX 400 was an 11x14, and to the un-aided eye, grainless. Very fine tonality. I like it.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Bruce Watson
17-Jul-2009, 05:16
Does anyone have any idea how TMAX 100 pushed two stops compares with TMAX 400 processed normally? If you never need to go beyond an ISO of 400, is it worth carrying two types of film as opposed to push processing the slower film? I backpack and am a tired old man and so two types of film is more than I want to carry.

I am yet another tired old man who backpacks. I solved that problem by making TMY-2 my only B&W film. It's so good I don't see a need for the slower films.

venchka
17-Jul-2009, 11:06
I am yet another tired old man who backpacks. I solved that problem by making TMY-2 my only B&W film. It's so good I don't see a need for the slower films.

There you go.

Dave_B
17-Jul-2009, 15:07
There you go.

Thank you all for your advice. I will give TMAX 400 a shot on my next trip.
Dave B.