PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 4x10 GG or GG/fresnel?

John Schneider
16-Jul-2009, 12:26
I'm just finishing up my custom 4x10 back for my Arca, and I'm about ready to mill the recess for the GG. So before I do, I wanted to ask if any 4x10 shooters use or see the need for a fresnel? And who these days makes GG's and fresnels in this size? It's too bad Satin Snow is no longer available, as that part would have been a no-brainer.

David Karp
16-Jul-2009, 12:37
Hi John,

I don't know about Fresnels, but talk to Steve Hopf. He did a 5x7 GG for me, and it is at least as nice as the Satin Snow GG that I purchased for my WP camera. He puts a very nice and faint grid on the GG if you want one.

He sells on EBay under Steve Hopf's groundglass shop. Steve is very responsive, and ships his product quickly.

Robert Fisher
16-Jul-2009, 12:53
John, I second David's comments - call/email Steve.

I received a new 810 Ebony recently and immediately replaced the GG with Steve's ultra bright. Great guy, great prices and mega fast shipment.

Steve Hamley
16-Jul-2009, 12:54
Ditto on Steve Hopf for the GG. I'm sure Bill Maxwell could make you a fresnel and or screen if you want the excellent and excellently expensive option.

Cheers, Steve

eric black
16-Jul-2009, 14:41
John
I dont use a fresnel on my Canham 4x10- the glass is definately darker near the outer edges with wide angle lenses like a 110 super symmar xl, but not in my opinion, not a hinderence to my work flow and all my other lenses light it up nicely with no discernable fall off. Cant wait to see some pictures when you get done

Robert Fisher
16-Jul-2009, 16:00
John, I just purchased a newly purchased 150XL on my 810 with Steve's ultra bright GG. The image is bright to all corners.

rdenney
16-Jul-2009, 16:25
If you want a screen that is brighter with wide-angle lenses, then send an email to Bill Maxwell. He'll call you back (and you do what the call to be on his nickel because you'll hear a lot you didn't expect to). His focus screens provide both a focus surface and a micro-fresnel, with the result that they are significantly brighter than standard screens, and provide much better views into the corners. He can make any size you need.

His fresnel is on the back of the screen, protected by a cover-glass. The focus surface is on the front (of course) and is part of the same plastic sheet used for the fresnel. He claims that the plastic makes a better focus surface because the methods used to frost the surface don't leave light-blocking inclusions the way grinding or etching does with glass. And the fresnel is so fine it won't get in the way of critical focusing. All reports I've heard--and I've heard dozens and dozens of them--back up these claims, and I hope they're right--I just ordered a screen from him.

They aren't cheap, but I've paid more in my life for things less likely to improve my quality of life by as much of a margin. The 4x5 standard screen with grid and roll-film format markings on the cover glass is $295 as of today.

Rick "following his recommendation of trying that with the standard rear-mounted pop-in Sinar fresnel for ultrawides to see how that works" Denney

Robert Fisher
16-Jul-2009, 19:59
Rick, from my own personal experience of having owned three of Maxwell's screen/fresnels, I will never deal with the man again. He talks a lot, charges a lot and delivers (always at a snail's pace) a product that is GROSSLY overpriced.

Steve Hopf is a man of few words but delivers a superior product at an amazing price in a matter of days.

When I received my new 810 Ebony, I didn't even consider Maxwell. I emailed Steve my order and it was at my front door in five days. (this is my seventh screen from Steve).

PS: this is my PERSONAL experience having owned BOTH products from BOTH men.

rdenney
17-Jul-2009, 08:52
Rick, from my own personal experience of having owned three of Maxwell's screen/fresnels, I will never deal with the man again. He talks a lot, charges a lot and delivers (always at a snail's pace) a product that is GROSSLY overpriced.

Steve Hopf is a man of few words but delivers a superior product at an amazing price in a matter of days.

When I received my new 810 Ebony, I didn't even consider Maxwell. I emailed Steve my order and it was at my front door in five days. (this is my seventh screen from Steve).

PS: this is my PERSONAL experience having owned BOTH products from BOTH men.

I suppose it's a matter of the requirements. I have nothing against the high-quality acid-etched ground glass on my Sinar. But I can't see the edges of my 47mm Super Angulon, or even much of the edge of the 65 SA. The Sinar fresnel loses coverage before reaching the edge, though it works fine with 90mm or longer lenses. So, even a good ground glass and fresnel doesn't fulfill the requirements. I looked at Steve Hopf's ebay store, and all I saw were standard ground glass screens. If that's what I needed, I wouldn't hesitate.

In my role as the host of the Kiev Report, I am obligated to read every message, even back when that forum was much more active than it is now. Many used Maxwell screens as an alternative to the Hasselblad Acute-matte screen, which required some modification to fit in a Kiev 88, and even then would not fit in a Pentacon Six or Kiev 60. All who had them considered them at least the equal of the Acute-matte, or even superior. Yes, that's a different set of requirements, too. We'll see.

Rick "hoping the majority is right in this case" Denney

Robert Fisher
17-Jul-2009, 09:11
Rick, I did have a Sinar P 45, 57 and 810 system with the stock factory glass and fresnel for each. After trying one of Steve's ultra brights on the 810 body, I replaced all the frames with Steve's glass and discontinued using the Sinar glass and fresnels.

The widest lenses have been 110 on a 57 and my 150 on the 810.

I am blind in my right eye and perhaps more critical/sensitive about GG/fresnels than folks with two good eyes.

John Schneider
17-Jul-2009, 10:25
Thank you everyone for the advice. I really wanted to (1) avoid using a fresnel if possible, and (2) find a good source for GG these days. So both these goals have been met with you help.

I'll mill the GG frame to hold one of Steve Hopf's glass. I'll probably be able to post pics of the finished back and rear format frame next week, but the finished camera will then be on hold until I replenish my bank account before I then order from Custom Bellows (they gave be a rough estimate of $300, which is IMO very reasonable).

Julian H
17-Jul-2009, 13:01
It looks like steve has just set up a website. I am sure its still in a fetal stages of developement, but you might want to order from here:
Replacement Ground Glass (http://hopfglass.com/)