PDA

View Full Version : sand in tripod (manfrotto 058b)

jamesklowe
15-Jul-2009, 05:27
i've just been to the beach taking photos-
the feet of the tripod got pretty sandy, was wondering if there's a good way to clean it out?

i figured compressed air and just a good rub down with a cloth would be fine. but would problems occur in the future if i do not clean it out properly?

thankyou

cowanw
15-Jul-2009, 05:43
I do not know the construction of the Manfrotto, but I delayed properly cleaning my velbon CFand it was always a bit gritty and stiff until I totally (totally!) disassembled it and washed it in dish soap to clean out the sand in the lub. Biddies of sand Were everywhere.
Regards
Bill

GPS
15-Jul-2009, 06:08
Indeed, it needs to be disassembled, degreased, cleaned, lubed and assembled again. If not, you'll do it later anyway when you understand why...

Archphoto
15-Jul-2009, 06:15
If it is just the feet: a damp cloth and a brush should do.
Be carefull with compressed air: you can blow sand where you don't want it to be.

If sand has gotten further into the legs you will have to take them apart as descibed above.

Peter

Terence McDonagh
15-Jul-2009, 13:26
Which leg locks do you have. I had the lever-type ones, and didn't clean out the sand soon enough. The next time I went to use it, it acted like a wedge in the joint and cracked the whole lock.

Paul O
15-Jul-2009, 23:16
I'd say strip and clean it ASAP!

jamesklowe
16-Jul-2009, 00:22
thanks!
i've got the one with levers- and the lower legs unscrew and drop out. if that makes sense?

i'll google how to strip it in a second, but does anyone have suggestions?
i have a feeling i'll mess it up or something. or not be able to put it back together after i'm done..

Archphoto
16-Jul-2009, 03:58
Go to the site of Manfrotto and go to the service part.
You can download exploded views and parts-lists of all Manfrotto makes.

Otherwise make some digi-snaps while you are taking the tripod apart.

Life is easy with Manfrotto !

Peter

Wallace_Billingham
16-Jul-2009, 06:13
I would also give everything a rinse in freshwater. There is a lot of salt in the sand at beaches (at least if the beach was at the ocean)

Steve M Hostetter
22-Jul-2009, 08:47
I've never noticed this problem with a cf Gitzo tripod
it's never been cleaned and has been to beach many times
same w/ my old aluminum Gitzo
I wonder if this is just a Bogen issue?

percepts
22-Jul-2009, 11:26
dropped m 05B in the sea whilst climbing across some rocks. I did rinse it afterwards but never stripped it down. They are made of aluminium which is less prone to attack from salt but the fixings use steel components which will rust. Mine now definitely needs stripping down and thouroughly clening as its a bit sticky. But if you have only ever just stood it on a beach then you should only need to rinse off the bottom sections with fresh water and dry it.
If water has got inside the legs then you should strip it down and thouroughly wash clean.