PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to simplify Eversmart Pro II workflow

Deliberate1
12-Jul-2009, 17:00
Friends, I have just been scanning my first 4x5 chromes on the Pro II. While the final product is outstanding, the process to get to a workable file is maze-like. First of all, my principal photo editor is CS2 in Windows. But the Pro II runs an early version of the Oxygen scanner program that works only in Mac OS 9. Consequently, I have the scanner hooked to a Mac G4. I do the basic scanning in the 16 bit DT mode, which, unfortunately, does not permit any editing in Oxygen. You can do some prescan editing and color correction with the 8 bit scans, but that is not what I am looking for. So I scan to the G4 in a Tiff format. But I found that I could not open the Mac created Tiffs in the Windows platform. So I open the Tiff images in the PS7 version in the G4. But that version does not permit editing in 16 bit. Consequently, I have to then convert the images to a photoshop format in the G4 box and then save them to an external hard drive which I can them plug into my Windows box. Then I can access them through CS2 and do the editing work.
I can not think of any way of getting rid of the Mac because of the scanner program. Perhaps the G4 would run more recent versions of PS. But I am quite used to the Windows workflow and have little interest in relearning the PS workflow on a Mac. And the G4 does not have a great deal of horsepower. Finally,as I understand it, you can not run OS9 on the latest Mac boxes whcih use Intel chips.
So any suggestions to streamline this rather Byzantine workflow?
And for those of you who make DT files from the Pro II, do you find that they prescan very light and then scan quite dark? All of the info is there according to the histo. And they can be tuned very nicely with all that fat 16 bit data. Juat seems a bit odd.
Appreciate any suggestions.
David

Ben Hopson
12-Jul-2009, 21:42
I have an Eversmart Supreme with oXYgen V 1.1 on a G4 running OS 9. When you scan to the DT format it is like a RAW file from a digital camera. The prescan is just that, a prescan which appears light while the scan in DT format is RAW and contains all the information from the original. The scan will look dark, but there is a DT view plug-in for Photoshop that allows the DT scan to be opened looking normal for retouching. If you have saved your scan as a DT file and the DT plug-in / input profile is present in Photoshop try the following: 1. In Photoshop, select File>Open. 2. Select the DT file you want to open. 3. From the Format list, select Creo DT. 4. Click the open button. At this point if your embedded profile does not match the current RGB working space you will probably get the Pop Up Profile Mismatch Window. If so, 5. Select Discard the embedded profile (don't color manage) button then click OK. 6. From the Photoshop menu, select IMAGE MODE> ASSIGN PROFILE. 7. In the profile dialog box, click the Profile option, and then from the list select the calibrated profile DT view. The image should open light and bright. I am not sitting in front of my G4 right now and am not positive of how accurate all the terminology is, but I am reading some of this from notes I have. It should be close.

I hope this is of some help.

Ben

The version of oXYgen you are using may limit you to Photoshop version 7.