PDA

View Full Version : polaroid 55

andrea milano
8-Nov-1998, 07:05
Dear contributors, I've recently decided to use polaroid film+negative emulsion 55 for the polaroid film holder 455 not only as an exposure and conposition control method but as a negative as well. I have several questions then which I put to you all.I've bou ght one of this polaroid special buckets to clear the films on location in a nat rium sulfide bath but do you clear films on lcation(hairs, wind blowing particle s of dust or else on the wet emulsion while separating negative-positive) or at home after exposing and taking the film out without developing? How does the pan el of contibutors work with it? I'd like any advice on the matter please. I prin t on my enlarger a L.P.L. wit normal glassless masks for 4x5 would the polaroid negative fit these or do I have to buy another (with glass) film mask? Thank you

Shigehiro Ishii
9-Nov-1998, 12:00
Hi, Andrea, I have used Polaroid Type 55 film several times and hope my experience will help you. I have never processed films on location because of the difficulty of drying films. As you say the wet emulsion easily catches dust. Another difficulty is the temparature. In his book titled "Example: The Making of 40 Photographs", Ansel mentions that the integral chemistry does not function properly because of the cold weather. According to the book, the effective speed of the Type 55 print and negative is different. That means there's no chance you could have both at one shot. If you would like to have not only a print for check but also negative, why don't you shoot twice ? One for a print and the other for negative. I have been using a LPL enlarger too. You don't have to buy another negative carrier. The Pola neg. fits but it's thinner than conventional sheet film. So I use a glass carrier.

Ellis Vener
9-Nov-1998, 19:23
I have done it both ways, usually in the field it is good to take at least two e xposures of the same subject, and process that night or when I get back home. Bu t you can do it in the field alone, and let the negs soak until you gey to a rel atively safe place (your hotel or home )where you can rinse the negs and let dry undisturbed.

As far as exposure goes: Polaroid says for a good print rate the film at ISO 50 and for a good negative rate the film at IS0 32. this ssems about right for most subjects.

I also use the Type 55 neg as a throw away focus check in the field and do not b other to clear the goo. i just put a 4x loupe up to the dry (base) side and scan the neg.