PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocatechin - sourcing in upstate NY

iamjanco
10-Jul-2009, 19:12
I'm getting (or at least trying to get) ready to start developing film in Pyrocat-HD. I'm in upstate NY and looking for a source for Pyrocatechin. I thought I'd buy it through the Photographer's Formulary, but it looks like Pyrocatechin is considered hazardous (no real surprise there, of course) for shipping purposes. Since I'm not sure what the additional charge for delivery of hazardous chemicals will come to, I figured one or more of you might know of a good place to source the stuff "locally." I'm willing to travel to Albany or Burlington to pick it up, or to Syracuse or Rochester if I have to. I live smack dab in the middle of the northern third of the Adirondacks, and Burlington would be best.

Does anyone out there know where I might get some Pyrocatechin?

My other option is to of course buy the ready-mixed stuff. I do like mixing my chemicals from scratch though (something I picked up as a kid with my first chemistry set).

TIA!

eddie
10-Jul-2009, 19:35
easy:

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/

he is in albany....AND he ships....:)

Catechol, formerly known as pyrocatechol, (PYROCATECHIN, or Pyrocatechol)

call him.

great guy/supplier!

iamjanco
10-Jul-2009, 19:49
Thanks Eddie!!!

Hmmm... he's in Altamont, right off of 88! I'm driving right by there Sunday on my way to Oneonta. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what his hours are. Maybe I'll get lucky...

Jim MacKenzie
11-Jul-2009, 07:37
If that doesn't work out, JDPhotoChem is not far away in Montreal. Perhaps they can ship it General Delivery to you in the nearest Canadian town to the border, and you can pick it up there, if they can't mail it to you directly in the US. They were able to mail it to me in Saskatchewan.

iamjanco
12-Jul-2009, 08:17
If that doesn't work out, JDPhotoChem is not far away in Montreal. Perhaps they can ship it General Delivery to you in the nearest Canadian town to the border, and you can pick it up there, if they can't mail it to you directly in the US. They were able to mail it to me in Saskatchewan.

Thanks for the info, Jim! Montreal is very doable for me, as I usually hit up Plattsburgh once every two weeks or so. And from the looks of it, JDPhotoChem has the cheapest prices of those already mentioned.

Btw, I know this is OT, but I enjoyed your web site. Not the page per se, but the backend behind it. Reminded me of my earlier days when I was installing and configuring Vax II & IV's, Alphas, and Radixes--always enjoyed putting the backs of the Vaxes back on (after getting all the cabling hooked up) :)

Jan

Jim MacKenzie
12-Jul-2009, 12:10
Heh. Thanks! My current server is not that bad (a dual PIII-1 GHz CPU system with a gig of RAM; I need to update the page) but I certainly have a lot of vintage hardware around. I imagine I like using old computers for the same reasons I enjoy shooting large format.