PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Conversions: How are they to shoot?

Drew Bedo
10-Jul-2009, 06:25
What is it like to shoot with a Polaroid 110 converted to 4x5? What is it like to work with a large format range-finder camera (not a Press Camera, Technica, Horseman etc.)?

Frankly, I would really like to hear from a few photographers who use any of these converted Polaroids ( 110 A or B , 900 just whatever)...without regard for the personality of the maker...whoever that might be. I would like to hear about what it is like to shoot this type of camera. How it is to travel with it. Is it more "packable" than light weight field cameras? What are the functional limitations or benefits (advantages) of this style of camera? What about supporting gear? What is in your shooting kit?

Again: I don't care who made it, all that has been discussed. Please just .tell us where, what why and how you use it.

Cheers!

bbjorkum
10-Jul-2009, 10:21
It's really nice. I own a Razzle 900 150mm. I must confess I had to teach myself how to calibrate the rangefinder. It can be tricky, but once done, it's extremely reliable. The camera itself is very traveler friendly. Fits almost in your pocket. Here's my Razzle gallery, with images from three different configurations:
http://www.bjartebjorkum.com/gallery_107068.html
My only problem at the moment, is which hand held camera to choose. I own a Razzle, a Speed Graphic and a Super D with two lenses. The Super D is the most convenient to use, faster to focus than a Hasselblad, but hard to put in your pocket. But the Polaroid Razzle can of course give stunning results.

djonesii
10-Jul-2009, 10:38
Really not that much more difficult than any 35mm/medium format range finder. I have recently got an Alpenhaus conversion, and it's a blast. The film holders are a bit more work than roll film :D , but no more so than any other 4X5. I think that a grafmatic back would simplify the film handling a bit.

I will be getting the gallery up soon.

Dave

Ash
10-Jul-2009, 11:25
I really enjoy using my Razzle 900, but I hardly use it. I almost never shoot large format now for the hassle and cost of the film. Which sucks.

I will try my best to use it more, but likely I'll stay with hasselblad for size/cost ratio.

I find my Razzle 900 only falls short on rangefinder contrast. It would help if I replaced the beam-splitter mirror with a newer one for contrast and ease of focusing. Then again I doubt that would make me use it more, and I doubt I'd focus much faster either.

Mick Fagan
13-Jul-2009, 00:59
I have a Razzle 900 conversion.

It is brilliant to use with a Grafmatic 6 pack. The Grafmatic is locked in position by the method the conversion manufacturer uses for mounting.

I hold the camera with my left hand using the leather strap as a help, in locking the hand there.

I focus with the right hand, then when ready I press the shutter with the left thumb, using the cable release, I then re-cock the shutter with the right hand.

Then one simply swings the right hand to the Grafmatic, pulls the slide in and out, then pulls it in and out again to load another sheet, and straight back to focusing. Takes about 8-15 seconds depending upon how you swing the camera and if you are in the groove.

As the Grafmatic is firmly locked in position you can pull and push to your hearts content, it doesn't budge a millimetre.

I really think a Grafmatic back is important, although I have used a normal DDS, the Grafmatic back is made for this camera.

I run a 150 Fujinon which folds away in the camera, this is another important requirement for lightness and compactness, well it was to me.

I purchased it mainly for portraiture on the run in 4x5" land.

It isn't a small camera, but it has travelled in the rear bag on my pushbike, in a tank bag on a motorcycle and in a little backpack walking around town.

Mick.

Frank Petronio
13-Jul-2009, 03:56
I left a detailed counter-opinion in the other Pola thread....

Gordon Flodders
13-Jul-2009, 16:52
Not sure why you think the front standard is weak? Mine still stands perfectly vertical on a cold morning after 49 years of abuse. Not many guys can say that.

fuegocito
13-Jul-2009, 22:31
Here is a couple images from my Razzle in its intended use, mine at least:)

Robert

Gordon Flodders
21-Jul-2009, 23:27
Here is a couple images from my Razzle in its intended use, mine at least:)

Robert

Looks like it works well for you. Very nice, I love the portrait so much.

Kirk Fry
22-Jul-2009, 23:20
A Crown Graphic is hard to beat. Why take a conversion and try to make it do what a Crown was designed to do??? KFry

fuegocito
23-Jul-2009, 12:28
Looks like it works well for you. Very nice, I love the portrait so much.

Thanks Gordon:) it does work great for its intended use, Leica on steroid.

What is it like to shoot with a Polaroid 110 converted to 4x5? What is it like to work with a large format range-finder camera (not a Press Camera, Technica, Horseman etc.)?

Frankly, I would really like to hear from a few photographers who use any of these converted Polaroids ( 110 A or B , 900 just whatever)...without regard for the personality of the maker...whoever that might be. I would like to hear about what it is like to shoot this type of camera. How it is to travel with it. Is it more "packable" than light weight field cameras? What are the functional limitations or benefits (advantages) of this style of camera? What about supporting gear? What is in your shooting kit?

Again: I don't care who made it, all that has been discussed. Please just .tell us where, what why and how you use it.

Cheers!

I think it's relatively clear as to the advantages of such conversion offer. There are two things I found that bothers me slightly, one is limited in closeup ability, I think the closest I can get is about 3ft. The second thing is that because of the ease of use, the negative piles gets big quickly if one is not on top of their darkroom work load.

I have set up my Razzle(900) with a Dagor 130mm f/6.8 oldie lens. I usually carry 12 film holders, I think the weight is about the same as 3 grafmatic but I like the ability to mark down which film is what. Depending on the time of the day I think I'll be shooting in, I sometime bring a baby tripod or monopod/lightmeter. Super light and mobile set up in general.

A Crown Graphic is hard to beat. Why take a conversion and try to make it do what a Crown was designed to do??? KFry

Try shooting hand held with a 45conversion, you'll be convinced very quickly, better yet, handle both side by side :p :p :p