PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Speed Graphic Curtain? Anyone got a back?

Jim Galli
9-Jul-2009, 15:24
I bought a 2nd 5X7 Speed last week and it's somewhat complete. I'll have to make a 5X7 back by adapting a normal 57 back to the bigger area perhaps with a 1/8th inch piece of aluminum. Anyone got an original back for one of these 5X7's?

The curtain seems to run pretty good, nothing broken, but it's a light sieve. Have I read where folks stretch these out and paint them with black fabric paint to re-seal the pin holes? Is that working out for any one?

Something fun about the one I bought. It's so early that the shutter is made to be actuated by string over a hook! Yes, it's factory that way. Any way to date it? Top handle so 1923 - 27 I suppose. My other Top handle 57 has the normal place to put a cable release if wanted.

EdWorkman
9-Jul-2009, 15:47
Have you inquired over at graflex.org? I recall threads about curtains
You might track down Bert Saunders over there for advice.

IanG
10-Jul-2009, 07:02
I rebuilt a Sped Graphic last year, I managed to re-light proof the curtain easily with black acrylic paint with the back off it can be done in-situ, with no problems. I also restored a Thornton Pickard shutter the same way, except I had to remove flaking paint/sealing material totally from a prior repair and iron the shutter cloth flat, that was then very poor condition letting a lot of light through but the acrylic paint is brilliant very supply soaks right in and dries quickly. The material is still very fexible. It's better to reseal the complete curtain stage by stage rather than try to just touch up the pin-holes, I let the paint soak in rather than build up a layer on top.

A couple of days ago I posted a link to a book, the relevant pages on Graphic shutters can be read online via Google books (http://books.google.com/books?id=0cQzRxVlgeYC&dq=Restoring+Classic+%26+Collectible+Cameras,+Thomas+Tomosy&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=gg-vHefTyz&sig=WOuQGoKy8XpPwuVH98RZkf-1MqQ&hl=en&ei=nUdXStz3EabUmgPNjJHWAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1).

Hope that helps

Ian