PDA

View Full Version : Acros 100 4x5 QL discontinued in US?

gevalia
9-Jul-2009, 13:15
I thought I came across a thread where Joanna Carter said that Acros 4x5 QL was being discontinued in the UK. I just went to the B&H site and they have it flagged as discontinued.

I also heard that Fuji was going to import Acros 4x5 sheets (not QL) in boxes of 10 starting last April but I have not seen it anywhere. Yes, Badger imports it.

Anyone know what gives with Fuji on Acros 4x5 in the US?

gevalia
9-Jul-2009, 13:18
Oh, and Badger has it marked as discontinued by Fuji as well.

Gem Singer
9-Jul-2009, 13:30
The last time I purchased Fuji Acros 100, 4X5 and 8X10 cut film, it was packed in 20 sheet boxes.

I ordered the film through Jim, at Midwest Photo (mpex.com).

I have a feeling that Acros 100 is Fuji's version of TMax 100. Both films seem to have similar characteristics.

BarryS
9-Jul-2009, 13:51
Acros 100 will be available in the US in 10-sheet boxes, but I don't think Fuji USA has released a date. They have tons of 10-sheet boxes around, hence the inconvenient size, but it's better than having to order from Japan or pay the overhead from dealers direct ordering from Japan.

Riverman
9-Jul-2009, 14:38
Bummer. I've enjoyed shooting Acros in Quickload. The 10 sheet boxes are not QL right?

BradS
9-Jul-2009, 14:53
is tmax 100 still available in ready loads?

gevalia
9-Jul-2009, 15:22
I also heard the boxes were of 10 (sheets not QL). Apug had a long thread on this back in March I think where someone had info on it being April. I'm very glad I made a decision to move to TMAX. Nothing worse than loving a film you can't get or at least with some consistency.

Drew Wiley
9-Jul-2009, 15:33
Insanity. Now that Fuji has a monopoly in this category they shoot themselves in the
foot? Looks like the marketing MBA's are back at work screwing things up; but
they've never backpacked or flown with a view camera, and probably don't even know what a view camera is. I call it the monkey-see, monkey-do mentality. Copy Kodak without thinking. Incidentally, Acros is a very different film from TMax, with a very different look. Wish it were more readily available in 8x10; I only have a few sheets left in this size. Every time I've called Fuji USA about anything I've obtained conflicting answers, and got the impression that a lot of infighting was going on.

Riverman
12-Jul-2009, 03:55
This is a real nuisance. When I started LF a year ago, I found that my first negs (adox 50 in darkslides) were pretty riddled with dust, despite my best efforts to avoid it on loading. I also found loading the darkslides to be a pain. So, I got a QL holder and started to shoot Acros for B&W. Happiness and satisfaction ensued.

Now it's back to darkslides I guess. Am I right in thinking that there is now no black and white film at all in QL? This is nuts.

Allen in Montreal
12-Jul-2009, 07:22
Hear hear!

I tried to purchase Acros in Canada, no sheet film will be brought in all I have been told.

Kodak wants me to place a minimum order of 10 50 sheets boxes of 5x7 TXP.
8x10 TXP in 10 sht boxes :mad: , but they have yet to actually get one to me!

Ilford seems to be at least trying to make easy, they ask what I want, apologize for the delay, and get me what I want.

HP-5 seems to be slowly taking over the fridge space.

Insanity. Now that Fuji has a monopoly in this category they shoot themselves in the
foot? Looks like the marketing MBA's are back at work screwing things up.........

Sal Santamaura
12-Jul-2009, 07:43
...Kodak wants me to place a minimum order of 10 50 sheets boxes of 5x7 TXP.
8x10 TXP in 10 sht boxes :mad: , but they have yet to actually get one to me!...Single boxes of 5x7 320TXP:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=658
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241632-USA/Kodak_1300078_TXP_4164_5x7_50.html

and as many boxes of 8x10 as you'd like:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=659
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533812-USA/Kodak_8179707_TXP_4164_8x10_Tri_X.html

All in stock and ready to ship. I've been pleased purchasing print and film washers from Alistair Inglis; order some film from the above vendors and we'll keep the trade balanced. :)

Allen in Montreal
12-Jul-2009, 08:33
Kodak TXP #4164 8x10" Tri-X Pan B&W Negative (Print) Film (ISO-320) (10 Sheets) USA Mfr# 8179707 B&H# KOTXP8110
Price:$ 41.95

USD
Shipping
Customs fee
(duty on Fuji, no duty on Kodak)

Not cost effective, Ilford will bring, to my door, 25 shts of 8x10 HP-5 for 99.00 cdn dollars!

Fuji and Kodak should be trying to make it easier to get film into our holders, which means greater sales for themselves. Which is exactly what Ilford seems to doing, at least in my market area.
I was a Kodak man all my life, so was my dad. I would rather have yellow boxes than white in my fridge. And I would love to try Acros sheet film too, but that will wait until I drive to the US next and bring it home with me.

I digress somewhat, my apologizes gevalia,
the point was, the marketing teams at Kodak and Fuji need to learn from Ilford, they both have a product, but lack the right manner to put it our hands. At a certain degree of difficultly or expense, one begins to look for alternatives.

Single boxes of 5x7 320TXP:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=658
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241632-USA/Kodak_1300078_TXP_4164_5x7_50.html

and as many boxes of 8x10 as you'd like:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=659
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533812-USA/Kodak_8179707_TXP_4164_8x10_Tri_X.html

All in stock and ready to ship. I've been pleased purchasing print and film washers from Alistair Inglis; order some film from the above vendors and we'll keep the trade balanced. :)

Sal Santamaura
12-Jul-2009, 08:48
...I digress somewhat, my apologizes gevalia,
the point was, the marketing teams at Kodak and Fuji need to learn from Ilford, they both have a product, but lack the right manner to put it our hands. At a certain degree of difficultly or expense, one begins to look for alternatives.No argument with your praise of Ilford; I've been a strong promoter of its products and, especially, its willingness to provide unusual size film annually regardless of how few orders it receives.

Simon Galley of Ilford has posted a number of times that it is important to his firm's health for Kodak and Fuji to remain successful. You complained specifically about problems acquiring 320TXP, so I tried to point out relatively painless ways you could acquire some. If Ilford's film meets your needs, enjoy!

Allen in Montreal
12-Jul-2009, 09:56
.... You complained specifically about problems acquiring 320TXP, so I tried to point out relatively painless ways you could acquire some. If Ilford's film meets your needs, enjoy!

:)

And I appreciate very much that you would take the time to send those links, thank you! It is very kind of you.

A LFPF member in upstate New York has also offered to proxy 5x7 TXP for me to avoid the 30 dollar a box shipping fees over the CDN border!

You guys (and gals) on LFPF are a great bunch!

Drew Wiley
12-Jul-2009, 19:42
These Quickload and Readyload sleeves were the lightest weight way to backpack with 4x5. But for someone like me who shoots both color and b&w, if they're not
going to offer it in b&w, I have no incentive to buy it in color either. Can't really pack
two completely different systems. So it's either back to the changing tent or the Mido holders. I've never had dust problems with a tent because of several extra
precautions I take, but it's still a nuisance. Maybe they're trying to force us to buy
10-sheet boxes of Neopan, but like Kodak, that's just going to get us pissed off.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Just printed some negs of Neopan from my last
High Sierra trip where I dunked my light meter and had to estimate the exposures.
Both the negs and prints came out perfectly. Hope I'm just as lucky with the chromes, which I haven't developed yet.

jvuokko
13-Jul-2009, 03:46
Is this confirmed worldwide?
I really love Acros 100 and bought QL back just because of Acros 100.
Is it time to go and buy pile of QL-Acros and 4x5 sheet acros to freezer for couple of years?

As I am from Finland, I can buy only Acros as sheet film packages. I have always bought my Quickloads either when I am visiting on japan or from japanexposures or from Germany via post.

Pete Roody
13-Jul-2009, 08:27
As long as they are still available in Japan, someone like Badger can import them into the States.

Eric Brody
13-Jul-2009, 13:46
I just ran down to Pro Photo Supply here in Portland, OR and they were out of Fuji Acros Quickloads. I decided to test the waters by asking them to place an order for me for 10 boxes. They very courteously called me back within an hour or so to tell me Quickloads are officially no longer available and that 10 plain sheet boxes were going to be available soon, at $18.99/box, for plain sheets. I now own two useless holders, one for Kodak Readyloads and one for Fuji Quickloads, unless I want to shoot color film.

FYI-Eric

Kirk Keyes
13-Jul-2009, 23:02
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jvuokko
14-Jul-2009, 03:15
This is really a disappointment!

:( :( :(

gevalia
14-Jul-2009, 04:35
Yeah, when I looked on Badgers site last week, the noted that it was discontinued. But also said they had a small supply and were selling it off at $54. How cool is that? instead of pumping up the price on the stock they had left, they reduced it to sell it off. It isn't listed anymore.

SocalAstro
14-Jul-2009, 09:04
I called them mid-last week and they had 9 boxes left; I purchased 4 of those.
I agree on their pricing as it is (was) better than anyone else's on Across 100 QL. I am big fan of theirs now :-)

-Leon

Yeah, when I looked on Badgers site last week, the noted that it was discontinued. But also said they had a small supply and were selling it off at $54. How cool is that? instead of pumping up the price on the stock they had left, they reduced it to sell it off. It isn't listed anymore.

schafphoto
29-Jul-2009, 11:45
I have instituted a complete workflow based on the Acros quickloads including modifying all my cases and not leaving space for conventional 4x5 holders. I use the Acros for documenting HABS/HAER jobs and the sleeves allow for on-the-fly marking of processing considerations and sheet numbering. my lab has just bought eqipment to cool their dip/dunk processor so that we could run the Acros at longer times to avoid streaking. The TMAX & ilford is much easier to develop in their T-max RS developer dip/dunk machine and their process control strips are Kodak t-max as well. So I've spent time/money/effort on making the Acros QL system my new workflow... just in time for discontinuance. FABULOUS. If anyone from Fuji reads this, please bring back the Acros quickloads. If Acros is available in normal boxed sheets there is no reason for me to purchase over Ilford/Kodak, it's easier to buy Tmax and makes me feel better to buy Ilford because they support LF photographers.

You went from a single unique solid product that had no competition to just another 4x5 black and white film with quirks and a tiny market share. There are much easier/cheaper ways for me to use 4x5 black and white film, without the Quickload feature and the dust-free process, Ilford will get all my future business.

Of course this is futility...

However if ILFORD is listening, there are million Polaroid and Fuji QL holders out there in the world, and frankly I'd buy a proprietary ILFORD-ZIP-LOAD holder if it's a patent issue, so ring me up if you need a beta tester for a new 4x5 holder and sleeved film.

Steve Wright
29-Jul-2009, 11:53
Ditto on that. I bought 6 boxes on short notice and they're in the freezer. Ilford, Please bring us a Zip Load!!!!!
Steve

schafphoto
29-Jul-2009, 12:05
I already have a freezer full of Infrared HIE... wait do you think the film companies are in cahoots with the durable goods companies... That's it, it's all an evil plan to sell more freezers.

(Sinister laugh goes here)

Riverman
4-Aug-2009, 14:22
Wouldn't it be great if Ilford started to offer some of their films in a readyload style format?

I don't understand Fuji's decision to axe Acros QL given that (a) they continue to produce Acros in 4x5 sheets; and (b) they continue to make QL in other formats.

Has demand for Acros QL been that low?

vinny
4-Aug-2009, 15:01
If enough of you express your concerns to fujifilm usa, they may change their minds like they recently did with their 35mm 800asa stuff. Enough people bitched so they've announced it's continuance. Get a hold of the fuji usa rep.

Riverman
4-Aug-2009, 15:25
I've voiced my discontent to Fuji UK. They told me that Acros QL was being axed globally but the film would still be available in 4x5 non-QL. They also said no plans to axe any of the colour Quickloads.

gevalia
4-Aug-2009, 17:20
I voiced my concern to Fuji USA the day I found out about this.

What concerns me is the lack of an announcement on this. No notice, no announcement, just there one day and gone the next. I'm a raging capitalist so I understand cutting your losses but what Fuji has missed is the damage done to its brand by not letting us know. Sure they say QL Velvia is safe, but is it? For how long? Because you know if sales fall, it will just disappear one day. Will Acros 120 disappear one day? Will Acros 4x5 disappear once their stockpile of 10 sheets boxes is gone and they have to actually buy more?

With only 3 years of LF (and film) work, Ilford and Efke are looking like a sure bet.

Renato Tonelli
5-Aug-2009, 05:41
Too bad - like many others here, I like(d) the convenience of QuickLoads and Readyloads, not to mention Polaroid 55. They saved considerable weight in my backback for off-the-road shooting. I now have multiples of three holder systems that are completely useless.
At this point I will stop using Acros completely - the QL was for me, the only reason for using it.
If Ilford were to introduce a QL I would jump on it!

schafphoto
6-Aug-2009, 10:51
Yes, I'm shifting over to HP-5, If I'm gonna re-calibrate my lab and meter and Fujiroids then I'm going to do it with a company that is motivated and has customer service...

Brad Rippe
6-Aug-2009, 11:21
What b+w films are still available in QL from Fuji and Kodak?
Maybe I will try to Re-load film in the quickload holders.
-Brad

Sal Santamaura
6-Aug-2009, 11:38
What b+w films are still available in QL from Fuji and Kodak?...Except for residual stock in the distribution pipeline, none.

Drew Wiley
6-Aug-2009, 12:24
Brad - there's no realistic way you're going to reload those things! For me, it looks like
I'm going to have to lug a changing tent and multiple change-out boxes again. Add to
that the institution of assinine bear barrel rules for a number of Sierra trails, and me
entering my 60's - not a very welcome birthday present! Maybe I'll have to con a few
of my younger friends into carrying a few filmholder for me! I'm always lugging twice
the weight they are, so maybe they'll feel sympathetic. Maybe not. They're always the
ones who feel its more essential to have bottled mircrobrew beer on backpack trips!

Brad Rippe
6-Aug-2009, 15:06
I hear ya Drew,
That was my film (Acros QL) of choice for backpacking. I have 3 full boxes left, so it should last this season.
I haven't brought film holders backpacking since kodak came out with rediloads. It will be really hard to go back. I feel I'm forced to take a color (quick load) film, scan and make digital negatives...but not yet.

I haven't figured out how to make powdered beer for backpacking. I'm sure its possible, but some 151 does the trick!

-Brad

Riverman
7-Aug-2009, 02:45
Well folks. I live in hope of one day seeing Ilfoloads.

For the time being I picked up one box of Acros QL (exp Feb 2010) from Silverprint in London, UK. As of Friday morning they still have four boxes left so someone might want to snap them up.

noob
12-Aug-2009, 20:52
This is sad- I had only just finished putting together a large format system and the Quickload back was part of it. I had literally put one box of Acros through my brand new QL holder, and I still have one box left in the fridge. Is it really necessary to cut products with no warning in this manner?

Jan Becket
23-Aug-2009, 03:14
Yes, it really sucks. I just got word from my local camera store. I traveled with my 4X5 this past June, and shot 200+ sheets of Acros Quickload. The luxury of a little more film in the backpack allowed the other luxury of bracketing shots in difficult light.

The hardest part of the trip was a two-mile treck uphill at the end of the day with 30+ lbs on the back. With Quickload Acros kaput, I'm trying to imagine the same climb, but with enough film holders in my backpack for a full day of shooting. I need to be 20 years younger ...

Charles Young
1-Sep-2009, 06:46
LF Chaps,

How many of you have actually mailed/called fuji about this? I also feel the pain of seeing Acros QL go!

I'd like to send them a letter and complain, but it would be great if we could get more people to do the same - so far only Riverman and Gevalia publicly stated that they've done so.

Cheers to Acros QL!

Charles Young
www.paisagembrasileira.com

Mike1234
1-Sep-2009, 11:00
Charles... You're being far too logical. How absolutely UN-AMERICAN of you!! :) This issue is entirely too emotionally charged for which to apply viable efforts. Moaning and complaining are deeply embedded in our culture. How dare you suggest we keep a stiff upper lip and do something to improve the situation?

Robert Hughes
2-Sep-2009, 13:22
Uh...what's Acros?

I can get 4x5 film from a bunch of manufacturers, including several Chinese and Eastern European firms that make perfectly good product. I don't lose any sleep about losing one line or another, be it a yellow, green, white, blue, or plain brown box.

Eric James
2-Sep-2009, 13:37
Uh...including several Chinese and Eastern European firms that make perfectly good product...

In Quickloads:)

schafphoto
2-Sep-2009, 20:38
Yes I was just photographing an interior today with the last of my Quickloads. Lucky I had them, since it was a digital job and I only took the Cambowide "just in case". Then right in the middle of the shoot the workers upstairs started welding new banisters on the choir loft... and all my strobes started popping because their arc was triggering my slaves... proves there is a first time for everything.

So I asked them for 15 minutes to finish my brackets and shut down the strobes, and man if those QL didn't let me grab a couple of frames of film. Just like when the sunset is going down and you want just one more shot for insurance... jam the Quickload holder in... then just start stabbing film – Acros and Velvia – in the thing and nothing ever moves unlike when you have to insert and extract each individual holder. And it all fit in the Cambowide flight case. No room for holders in there anyway.

-schaf

Atul Mohidekar
3-Sep-2009, 06:50
Few days back I did contact Fuji to urge them to reconsider their decision to stop selling Acros in QuickLoad via Fuji Global (not the US) web site:
https://www.fujifilm.com/mail/form.cgi?code=244-59899-54331

// Atul

Tom Conway
3-Sep-2009, 07:11
Sent message to Fuji; I encourage all others on the Forum to do the same.

Mike1234
3-Sep-2009, 09:19
Fuji is like every other corporation. They pay attention to "real world profits"... not whiney babies like us. :rolleyes:

Robert Hughes
5-Sep-2009, 10:37
OTOH, you ARE their market. If you can find a contact name at the company who can champion your cause, that will help get your opinions heard. A few years ago, John Pytlak at Kodak almost singlehandedly extended Kodak's Super 8 movie program due to concerns he heard from the community - but he died recently, and we S8 shooters have lost a strong ally in the company.

Jeffrey Sipress
5-Sep-2009, 12:37
Darn. I use that a lot.

I emailed Fuji Japan, and tried to send the same message to Fuji USA, but the webpage was broke and the send button didn't work! I'm losing faith!

schafphoto
6-Sep-2009, 17:54
Let's ask Ilford what snowball's chance in hell there is of getting an Ilfoload, zippy-load or whatever they want to call it, Across wasn't that fabulous a film and I'd rather shoot HP-5 dust free and light weight if I have a chance anyway, since it is already my preferred 5x7 film... Fuji has walked away from the B&W QL shooters, and if they come back it will be until the next bean-counter evaluates the product as not making enough profit to continue. Anyone from Ilford listening? Anyone have a good contact, that's a letter I'm willing to write.

schafphoto
6-Sep-2009, 17:55
Besides we may actually get more than 1 flavor of film from Ilford, 100, 400, Delta? more choice is better... with Fuji, not so much.

Joanna Carter
6-Sep-2009, 23:35
Let's ask Ilford what snowball's chance in hell there is of getting an Ilfoload, zippy-load or whatever they want to call it, Across wasn't that fabulous a film and I'd rather shoot HP-5 dust free and light weight if I have a chance anyway, since it is already my preferred 5x7 film... Fuji has walked away from the B&W QL shooters, and if they come back it will be until the next bean-counter evaluates the product as not making enough profit to continue. Anyone from Ilford listening? Anyone have a good contact, that's a letter I'm willing to write.
I have spoken with Simon Galley at Ilford on several occasions about this matter and he has repeatedly assured me that Ilford have no plans to produce their own "Ilfoload" system; the cost/return figures and licensing issues were the main reasons.

Vizzy
16-Sep-2009, 20:00
This is my first post to the LF Forum and would just like to say that it is an incredibly useful resource. Thanks for all your contributions.

This is terrible news but also a little surprising insofar as, last time I checked (2 weeks ago), there was still loads of Acros QL available at the larger stores here in Tokyo. Perhaps that's part of the problem. In fact Acros QL was being sold at a 25% discount, which was kind of puzzling as QL is rarely discounted here ... makes sense now though.

Thankfully, the Japanese still love film (it's amazing how many people you see walking around with vintage Nikons, Hassys etc) and so the shops still have quite a bit of stock. Am planning to venture to Bic/Yodobashi Cameralater today and stockpile as much as possible. If any of you are traveling out to Japan I would suggest doing the same or, if possible, buying online from biccamera or Yodobashi. Not sure if they accept US credit cards though.

Am heading all the way to Monument Valley next week with a Tachihara 4x5 and a boatload of B&W and Velvia QLs. Can't wait.

V

SW Rick
17-Sep-2009, 06:37
Just pack a few suitcases full of Acros QLs, and you can resell in the U.S. and cover your trip costs :)

Vizzy
17-Sep-2009, 18:55
Just pack a few suitcases full of Acros QLs, and you can resell in the U.S. and cover your trip costs :)

That may not be a bad idea. Went to three stores here (Tokyo) yesterday and could have picked up 2 dozen boxes before asking the sales guys to check the store room. Wife is already complaining about new 3 boxes in the freezer ... if she knew about the other two boxes for next week's field trip to Monument Valley it would be flowers and chocolates time. LF is certainly not the cheapest format around - QLs or otherwise.

anglophone1
19-Sep-2009, 14:44
Ok, so who wants to trade a couple of boxes of Acros quickload for a box of Polapan 55 [ I think I bought the last case in the world late last year]
Clive

Joseph Dickerson
21-Sep-2009, 09:00
Atul,

Thanks for the link. I sent my $ .02 worth. Probably worthless unless a lot more of us do the same. You never know...

Joe Dickerson

Dirk Rösler
23-Sep-2009, 08:19
Just to let you know that AFAIK Acros QL is not discontinued. It continues to be readily available - on the Japanese market. It would appear that they have stopped distributing it on a worldwide basis.

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2009, 18:10
Dirk - the question is, if ACROS QL's are available ONLY on the Japanese market,
how long can this limited market by itself support continued manufacture? Or is
this simply a case of running out existing stocks before the product disappears
entirely? Trying to read Fuji's corporate mind is quite difficult. Another analogous
problem is with 8X10 Astia 100F, which has disappeared here. Is it still in fact being
made in this size, or is a finite supply running out once for all? This is important
because one naturally would want to import when the exchange rate is somewhat
favorable. Both these products are inherently expensive, but also have no direct
replacements. Would there be any cost advantage to importing a group order of
these kinds of products?

SW Rick
23-Sep-2009, 18:46
I had asked Badger about a special order, and they said Fuji doesn't do special orders. I'd asked someone in Japan whether it could make economic sense to have a special order for the U.S. (and anywhere else which wanted one), and they said they'd explore it- but ordering from Japan now would run about $100/box plus shipping, which would be prohibitive for me.

Has anyone actually SEEN an official notice from Fuji about Acros QL's discontinuance? Apparently similar for 8x10 Astia, from Drew's post I have not come across it: we found out when vendors suddenly said things like "No Longer Available", "Discontinued", etc. Advance notice to the customer base- zero! As Drew pointed out, is Japan itself likely to be able to support sufficient Acros QL demand by itself?

And then we should trust them on continuing to supply 10-sheet boxes of Astia at high prices? Probably had a huge mis-order of 10-sheet boxes and decided to clear out the remaining Acros 4x5 with them, killing two birds with one stone. Might help if Fuji would have been more "forthcomingt"- Scott apparently can't even get them on his Analog Radio show, something he had suggested was in the works quite some time ago. Of course, they are a sponsor, so he's in a delicate position, but still...

Philippe Grunchec
24-Sep-2009, 08:06
Is France (Europe, you know) closer? Check this:
http://www.adaflex.com/pages/films/fuji.htm 70€
Jean-Claude Dal Cin, the boss of Adaflex, is a very nice guy, very much involved into LF! Use my name if you like.

Kirk Keyes
24-Sep-2009, 11:00
I'd be in for a bulk import/export of Acros QL from Japan is there is interest in this.

Kirk

Harley Goldman
24-Sep-2009, 15:41
I would be interested in some boxes, depending on price.

ljsegil
24-Sep-2009, 15:53
Yes, interested.
Larry

Brian K
24-Sep-2009, 16:20
If fuji is still making the stuff what is their issue with just throwing some in the container and shipping it over with their other film??? This defies logic....

noob
25-Sep-2009, 01:27
I also would be interested in a bulk buy of some Acros QL.

Larry Gebhardt
25-Sep-2009, 04:56
Count me in as well.

Patrick Dixon
25-Sep-2009, 05:05
If fuji is still making the stuff what is their issue with just throwing some in the container and shipping it over with their other film??? This defies logic....

Fuji have rules and those rules must be stuck to. I think they learnt that from large US companies ;-)

Pete Roody
25-Sep-2009, 08:30
Wouldn't it be nice if Fuji adopted Ilford's ULF sales approach? They could take pre-paid orders for products they make, but don't export, once a year through their dealer network. For most of us, that would be fine.

anglophone1
28-Sep-2009, 07:34
Just phoned Adaflex, they have no stock.
Clive
Antibes
France

Is France (Europe, you know) closer? Check this:
http://www.adaflex.com/pages/films/fuji.htm 70€
Jean-Claude Dal Cin, the boss of Adaflex, is a very nice guy, very much involved into LF! Use my name if you like.

gevalia
28-Sep-2009, 09:34
Yeah, take a look at the price gouging on Japan Exposures. $140US. The 20 sheets non Ql boxes are about what I was paying here so it sure isn't the exchange rate. Glad to see capitalism is strong in JP. I bet its $300/box next week.

Philippe Grunchec
30-Sep-2009, 00:53
Sorry!
Anglophone 1 is right, I called Jean-Claude Dal Cin at Adaflex and they dont't carry it anymore!

Steve Wright
30-Sep-2009, 08:07
I need 5 boxes of the QL s.....if you can work out a bulk order!
Steve

anglophone1
5-Oct-2009, 10:51
After looking around [web] europe I can report that Robert White in UK has a batch arriving during October........
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

Dirk Rösler
13-Oct-2009, 07:33
Dirk - the question is, if ACROS QL's are available ONLY on the Japanese market, how long can this limited market by itself support continued manufacture? Or is this simply a case of running out existing stocks before the product disappears entirely? Trying to read Fuji's corporate mind is quite difficult. Another analogous problem is with 8X10 Astia 100F, which has disappeared here. Is it still in fact being made in this size, or is a finite supply running out once for all? This is important because one naturally would want to import when the exchange rate is somewhat favorable. Both these products are inherently expensive, but also have no direct replacements. Would there be any cost advantage to importing a group order of these kinds of products?

Hi, sorry, I am only seeing your reply now.

The Japanese photo market, including film, is huge and a lot of products are supported by the domestic market alone. I am working on a volume order of Acros QL, but it is currently sold out and the next batch is coming up in mid-December. Not the symptoms of a product that isn't selling.

As for Astia 100F and others in 8x10, also no problem. The exchange rate being favourable, I am not sure. Perhaps you are paying in gold, everything else is pretty much down against the yen, between 15-30%. Tough for me, believe me. Happy to explore group orders, contact me privately please.

Kirk Keyes
14-Oct-2009, 12:20
Dirk - I sent you an email. I'm in on a Acros group order.

Peter De Smidt
14-Oct-2009, 12:33
I'd be interested in a group order.

ljsegil
14-Oct-2009, 13:34
Curious, at least. Perhaps 8x10 Astia as well, though leaning towards PRO160s as my go to 8x10 color.
LJS

Jan Pedersen
14-Oct-2009, 14:07
Would Acros in 8x10 be of interest? I am in on that depending on price of course.

SW Rick
14-Oct-2009, 15:06
Based on a reply to ordering from Dirk at japanexposures, if there is to be a "group order" thru them, it will apparently have placed by some party here in the US aggregating for a large group, as an order of 5 boxes wouldn't qualify for any discount from listed prices of $100+/box.

Kirk Keyes
14-Oct-2009, 16:32
Rick - so you're saying we need a volunteer in the USA to coordinate it?

Dirk Rösler
14-Oct-2009, 18:07
Hi guys,

thank you for your interest.

To make this work one of you needs to coordinate to get the maximum efficiency. Chances are that this coordinator will only need to collect payment and that the individual orders might be sent directly to the individuals. This depends on the quantities. For US import duty formalities I recommend staying under $2000 per person, around 20 boxes.

Of course we can consider other formats and films too, depending on quantities.

As I wrote before, the next Acros QL will become available in December, perhaps earlier. Thus I recommend putting things together by the end of October so we can commit on the quantities and exchange rate.

SW Rick
14-Oct-2009, 18:39
Kirk,

Amplified by Dirk's reply, I'd say so. Good thing Bernie Madoff isn't a LF photographer and potential intermediary! I think the price/box and estimated shipping will be a factor- we'd need to know that to make an informed decision.

Dirk, can you please give us some parameters?

Dirk Rösler
14-Oct-2009, 20:17
Let's do this privately. I already supplied Kirk some details.

Kirk Keyes
15-Oct-2009, 09:08
If anyone is interested, let me know and we can see where this can go. Email me at kirk@keyesphoto.com