PDA

View Full Version : Color Intensity

lfgary
9-Jul-2009, 06:21
I am colorblind. I want to get the absolute most vivid color that I can from my prints. Of all the films you have seen which one gives the brightest most vivid colors?

Gary Conrad
thecolorblindphotographer.net

rguinter
9-Jul-2009, 09:32
I am colorblind. I want to get the absolute most vivid color that I can from my prints. Of all the films you have seen which one gives the brightest most vivid colors?

Gary Conrad
-----------------------
Gary: Standard Fujichrome RVP 50 in my experience gives the most vivid, saturated colors. RDP-I, -II, and -III almost the same and a stop faster.

For C-41 processing the new Kodak Ektar-100 is touted to have brilliant colors. I have only used it twice so I reserve judgement on that. And I don't know if it is available in LF anyway. Probably not. I have only used it in 120 size for 6x17 panoramics.

The only other film that has given me more saturated color (supersaturated blues) is cross processed VPS. But it is very tricky getting the exposure perfect and a pleasing color balance. So far I have only used it for late, late sunsets with multi-colored neon lights in the foreground.

So if I were you I would try RVP 50 and RDP-III and see how your non-color blind friends react to your work. That will be the ultimate test.

Bob

Bryan Lemasters
9-Jul-2009, 10:48

Gary Conrad

Oh, my! Kodak E100VS, hands down! I have ruined several otherwise good photos with it (sorry for the sarcasm, but I often have a tendency to go waaay too far with my color shots). If you really want intense, and have some shades of red in the shot, add an enhancing filter.

rguinter
10-Jul-2009, 10:07
Oh, my! Kodak E100VS, hands down! .
-------------------
Bryan: Thanks for posting this suggestion. Myself I have mostly used Fuji chrome films due to the (historic) poor archival qualities of Ektachrome. But I suspect Kodak corrected these problems many years ago so, given your suggestion, I just bought a batch of E100VS and I will give it a try. Perhaps it will be a substitute I can use for Velvia and Provia when I want high saturation. Cheers. Bob G.