PDA

View Full Version : Gowland 5x4 pocket view

Tony Lakin
9-Jul-2009, 04:50
Hi
I have purchased through this forum a Gowland 5x4 pocket view camera which I have not yet received, I am preparing to use it, I understand that it takes 4x4 inch lensboards, all my current lenses are mounted on Technika boards so my question is there an adapter available to enable me to do this, it seems to say on the Gowland website that the front standard can be exchanged however on contacting Mr. Gowland tells me that this is not the case.
Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you:)

Frank R
9-Jul-2009, 09:09
I had a 4x5 Gowland. Its construction was very light and simple. I doubt there would be enough space for an adaptor.

Archphoto
9-Jul-2009, 11:25
Tony, I would wait untill the camera arrives and then see and take measurements and some photo's to post here.

I just have digital here, so I can not measure the Technika plate myself and you need the camera to see what has to be done in order to make them fit.
An other question at that time would be: how is the bellows attached ?
Could a Technika-friendly lens-board-holder be made or is it possible to modify it a bit so the T-plates will fit.

Peter

Sven Schroder
9-Jul-2009, 11:59
Hi Tony

If your going to keep your lenses on technika panels then ignore this, but if you're going to have lenses unique to the gowland then I would make them with 3mm black ABS plastic sheet (available on ebay) its easy to cut and drill. I have done this for my lenses unique to gowland kit.

Regards
Sven

Kuzano
9-Jul-2009, 16:23
I have had three of the Gowland pocket cameras, plus the pocket model branded for Calumet. I will say that there were slight differences in all of them, leading me to believe that adjustments and changes to design occurred frequently and inconsistently over time. In fact, I have never personally held a Gowland pocket exactly like those shown on the site, but the ones I owned were all absolutely Gowland Pockets. The Calumet had, in my estimation, the best back system, with graflok features. It was definitely the Calumet portion of that particular camera, having been noted on a number of Calumet view cameras.

The lens boards (or standard frame) did seem to be one of the more consistent features, but there is one thing you need to know before anticipating creative design. The lens board is held in place by the two screw threads that stick through from the side knobs that adjust tilt, and or rise. Depending on the "pocket" design you actually receive, it would be risky to make up something in advance. As I recall, the flange against which the lens board rests is covered with black felt, and then the thickness of the lens board involves slight compression of that felt, tensioned by screwing the side knobs in to tighten rise/tilt/or both.

So, if you don't take into consideration that thickness dimension, what you make in advance may be moot.

The pocket cameras were great, very light, pack cameras for large format. Contrary to a few opinions I have heard, I always found them to be easy to adjust for focus and to lock down nicely. They don't need to be forced on the adjustments. The friction focus on the front takes some patience to master and some work with the exact amount of friction.

Oren Grad
9-Jul-2009, 21:19
I have a baby (2x3) Gowland that takes flat lensboards that are roughly 3 3/4" x 3 7/8", which is very, very close to the size of a Technika board, though the Technika board has a more complex shape and is effectively a bit thicker.

I just pulled out the camera and played with it a bit. A Technika board easily fits within the front standard frame, but the rubber strips that constitute the light seal are too thick - the Technika board can't quite seat deeply enough for the retaining screws to lock in front of it. But the rubber strips are pretty thick; if I replaced them with slightly thinner ones, the light seal would still work and a Technika board should fit without any adapter.

As Kuzano mentioned, Peter has made cameras with lots of variations. So now you just need to wait and see the actual dimensions and configuration of the camera you bought.

Tony Lakin
10-Jul-2009, 06:00
Thanks for all your info and advise guys, you have been most helpful, I will wait until I receive the Gowland and see what can be done, all my lenses are mounted on Technika boards so although the 'pocket view' comes with 3 4x4 boards I would much prefer to use the Technica boards as they are used with all my other LF cameras.
Thanks again
Much obliged:) :) :)
Tony

Kuzano
10-Jul-2009, 21:25
Thanks for all your info and advise guys, you have been most helpful, I will wait until I receive the Gowland and see what can be done, all my lenses are mounted on Technika boards so although the 'pocket view' comes with 3 4x4 boards I would much prefer to use the Technica boards as they are used with all my other LF cameras.

I mentioned that the lens boards are held in by the two bolts that tighten to set the tilt and/or rise (if you have rise on the front). They screw in over the lens board to hold it in place. One of the down sides to this creative solution is that the threads cut marks into the front sides of lens boards. You may want to consider a small shim on each side of the front of the lens boards to keep from disfiguring your Technica boards.

John Schneider
10-Jul-2009, 22:24
Peter does or at least did offer, when buying a Pocket View from him, the option of a front standard that would take Technika boards. That's how mine is equipped, and the special pieces are actually from a Technika III front standard. So I'd contact Peter and see if he can so modify your camera.

Oren Grad
10-Jul-2009, 23:16
I mentioned that the lens boards are held in by the two bolts that tighten to set the tilt and/or rise (if you have rise on the front). They screw in over the lens board to hold it in place. One of the down sides to this creative solution is that the threads cut marks into the front sides of lens boards. You may want to consider a small shim on each side of the front of the lens boards to keep from disfiguring your Technica boards.

Depends on the camera. On mine, the rubber strips (not felt) that make the light seal are so thick that the side screws can't get in front of the board to hold it. There is another set of holes at the top and bottom of the front frame; a couple of smaller thumbscrews through those are what hold the board in. I'd keep it that way even if I replaced the rubber strips with thinner ones, because I'm not comfortable with the board being retained by the same screws that have to be loosened to control front rise/fall and tilt.