PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to LF and Fuji Quickloads

lfgary
7-Jul-2009, 18:32
The quickloads appear to be an easier yet more expensive way to handle film in the field. For a beginner is this something you would recommend to help avoid errors and save time? And yes I admit I know very little of which I am asking. I am considering both the quickloads and traditional film holders for my Tachihara 4 x 5.

Gary in Oregon

Robert Oliver
7-Jul-2009, 18:43
quickloads and readyloads are lighter in weight and easier to deal with when it comes to dust than using traditional film holders... but they are substantially more expensive.

I use them when backpacking where light weight is the biggest concern. I use regular film holders when I am working near the car or day shooting.

Gem Singer
7-Jul-2009, 18:52
Hi Gary,

I find Quickloads easier to transport but more difficult to use in the field than cut film holders.

If you use a genuine Fuji Quickload holder for Quickload film, your chances of success will be higher. However, even using the proper holder, I still had a few of failed shots due to the film pulling out of the packet, the metal end clip getting stuck, etc.

You're correct. Quickloads are an expensive way to learn about film handling.

Ron Marshall
7-Jul-2009, 19:05
I only use them for backpacking, and usually when shooting color.

You will waste a few sheets when learning LF so perhaps better to use loose sheets, as a cheaper alternative untill you are proficient.

gevalia
8-Jul-2009, 07:26
I mostly shoot B&W (98% of the time). When I also think that I might shoot color, I bring along a QL.

Good technique keeps the dust in check with double darks. The QL's are so freakin' expensive. Just load the DD's in a paterson tent and use zip locks to take the holders into the field. And yes, there's a little time involved in loading holders but it's not like your going to load 50. I generally take 3 ziplocks of 4 DD's in my backpack and am good for the day.

By the way, if you want a laugh...take a look at what the various onli ne stores charge for Velvia 50 in QL (20 sheets).

Adorama - $79.95
B& H - $74.95
Samy's - $69.95
Calumet - $97.99
Freestyle - $84.99
Badger - $74.95

Patrick Dixon
8-Jul-2009, 08:36
As an LF newbie, I've found QLs in a Fuji QL holder are great. I shot some loose sheets first and wasted a few sheets doing dry runs, and then some more when various things went wrong in the field. Mostly that consisted of the sheet being outside the darkslide after I'd exposed it and withdrawn the holder. Obviously you need a darkroom or bag/tent for sheets, whereas with colour QLs you can avoid handling the film at all until it returns from the processors.

If you are shooting B&W, you'll probably be processing yourself, but it's still quite nice to have plenty of film in your bag and a nice card envelope to write notes on. You tend not to pull the wrong dark slide, or forget which holders are loaded with what, with QLs too. The only thing I've done is to half re-expose one sheet by carelessly knocking the clip off taking it out of the bag. If I'd used the 'exposed' sticker I wouldn't have even done that.

Aender Brepsom
8-Jul-2009, 11:08
Quickloads are the ideal solution for outdoor work if you don't take too many pictures (as they are about twice the price of normal sheet film) or if you are rich. :)

I just don't want to load normal holders, because I am lazy and want to avoid dust as much as possible. Carrying a pack or two plus a holder is less bulky than the equivalent number of normal holders loaded at home (and who would carry 20 holders?), so you may be more independant out in the field.

Apart from the higher price, the only thing that may be an issue with Quickloads is the fact that once you pull out the envelope to take your shot, it may flap around in heavy wind and cause some camera shake. I have been worrying about this risk, although I have never had a ruined shot due to this.

Not every type of film is available in Quickload format, but since I only use Velvia, this doesn't bother me.

Joanna Carter
8-Jul-2009, 11:25
Unfortunately, I have some bad news for folks like me who use Fuji Acros QLs - Fuji have ceased production of the QL packaging for that film and will only be making it available in boxes of 20 cut sheets :( :confused: :eek:

Joanna Carter
8-Jul-2009, 11:36
By the way, if you want a laugh...take a look at what the various online stores charge for Velvia 50 in QL (20 sheets).

Adorama - $79.95
B& H - $74.95
Samy's - $69.95
Calumet - $97.99
Freestyle - $84.99
Badger - $74.95
You should try buying it in the UK, some stores want the equivalent of $94.26 (plus tax) at today's rate of $1.60/£1.

Worse still, one store in France wants the equivalent of $115.64 (plus tax) at today's rate of $1.39/€1.

SocalAstro
8-Jul-2009, 12:18
Joanna,

I just founf out about this yesterday myself. I managed to pick up a few boxes to cover me for upcoming hiking trips where I like the convenience of the QL's.

Cheers,
Leon

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for folks like me who use Fuji Acros QLs - Fuji have ceased production of the QL packaging for that film and will only be making it available in boxes of 20 cut sheets :( :confused: :eek:

Stephen Lewis
8-Jul-2009, 12:37
Apart from the higher price, the only thing that may be an issue with Quickloads is the fact that once you pull out the envelope to take your shot, it may flap around in heavy wind and cause some camera shake. I have been worrying about this risk, although I have never had a ruined shot due to this.

Hi Aender

I usually prevent the envelope from flapping around by gently placing the pad of my finger against the white edge at the end. I'm not holding it as such; just restraining it.

As for QL in general, they are lighter, take up less space, quicker, cleaner and more convenient. They are also easier to manage in the field, as you can write notes on them and seal them against double exposure. With a fresh packet, I take the time to align all the clips and sheets properly, so I don't get jams. For tranny work I wouldn't use anything else.

As a beginner, I found traditional holders very frustrating. Loading, carrying and managing was a pain. If I had that time again, I would use QL from the off. The extra cost is more than offset by the success rate. :)

Martin Aislabie
9-Jul-2009, 09:02

Is this true ?

I had heard they were not bringing Acros in QLs into the UK as Fuji kept loosing money on them.

I understood that you could by Acros QLs in the UK by special order for a (large) minimum quantity.

I had not heard they were stopping making QLs all together

Martin

Joanna Carter
9-Jul-2009, 09:45
Is this true ?

I had heard they were not bringing Acros in QLs into the UK as Fuji kept loosing money on them.

I understood that you could by Acros QLs in the UK by special order for a (large) minimum quantity.

I had not heard they were stopping making QLs all together
Hi Martin, unfortunately, the news is "straight from the horses mouth" as they say.

Fuji UK seem to have had no real interest in promoting Acros in th UK; you will even have to order the cut film from overseas, unless some enterprising LFer brings some in.

We have had a couple of threads on this subject running in the UKLFPG forums www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum, and we are hoping to import whatever film is hard to get hold of as a bulk order, provided there are enough members interested.