PDA

View Full Version : New Epson driver for the 3800 available.

hassiman
7-Jul-2009, 09:02
I noticed this on the Epson UK site today::D

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In...TEGORY_CODE=DRV :
new driver at 28/5/09, of which is said: "The Advanced B&W mode (if available as driver option) and Color mode is improved with the driver option "No Color Management" and Adobe Photoshop CS4". May be of relevance to your question.

ethervaughn
13-Jul-2009, 22:57
Sorry hassiman but I get this message at your given link "Resource not found". They said about Advanced B&W mode is that the Advanced Black and White Printing mode is a unique Epson screening and color management technology developed to produce darkroom-quality black and white prints from either color or grayscale files.
Thanks

hassiman
14-Jul-2009, 10:36
This one should work:)

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Large-Format/Epson-Stylus-Pro-3800/Drivers-Support?target=driver&languageId=1&driverId=323704&defaultOSId=15&DRV_CATEGORY_CODE=DRV

Joe O'Hara
14-Jul-2009, 14:58
I installed the new driver on my Mac and tried using ABW mode today. I saw no difference in behavior from the previous version driver. Prints are still too dark if you try to have PS manage color. Fortunately, it is no worse. I can get an acceptable match to the screen if I disable color management in PS and enable it in the printer. Color printing, as before, is still OK when Photoshop manages color.

D. Bryant
14-Jul-2009, 19:36
I installed the new driver on my Mac and tried using ABW mode today. I saw no difference in behavior from the previous version driver. Prints are still too dark if you try to have PS manage color. Fortunately, it is no worse. I can get an acceptable match to the screen if I disable color management in PS and enable it in the printer. Color printing, as before, is still OK when Photoshop manages color.

Are you using an ICC profile?

Don Bryant

Don Hutton
14-Jul-2009, 20:41
If you're having issues printing with a 3800 using ABW without a custom profile, read Eric Chan's recommendations here: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/printworkflow.html#abw_no_gray_curve

Samuel Burns Landsacape P
14-Jul-2009, 23:51
Thanks for the heads up on the new driver, shall see what (if any) difference it makes.

For those who are new to the Epson 3800 a read of Eric Chan's article (as posted by Don) is really worthwhile, it helped me sort out a lot of print issues I was experiencing.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/printworkflow.html

Cheers.

ethervaughn
20-Jul-2009, 00:48
Please suggest me, which one is the best in inkjet printer Epson, HP or Canon?

ethervaughn
21-Jul-2009, 00:20
Please give any suggestion... I am doing printing work for ready made garment and fabrication business.

Steve Wright
21-Jul-2009, 07:21
Epson 3800, for the money, is the best.....
Steve

Joe O'Hara
3-Aug-2009, 06:51
Are you using an ICC profile?

Don Bryant

Thanks Don. When I tried the new driver at first, I forgot to insert the ICC profile for the paper in the Print setup screen. When I did that, it worked great with both Eric Chan's profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta and Museo's profile for Silver Rag. The improvement in the darker tones on the Hahnemuhle paper in ABW mode was especially striking.

Now Epson just has to make that version of the driver available on the US website.

hassiman
3-Aug-2009, 09:02
Joe,

Didn't the UK 3800 driver come equipped with the same set of paper icc profiles that the older USA 3800 driver came with.... or were you using a cutom generated .ICC?

Joe O'Hara
3-Aug-2009, 12:17
It may have, but I am not using Epson paper, so I got the profiles that I used elsewhere. From the discussion on the Adobe forum on this topic, the trouble (dark prints in ABW mode) seemed to be in the Mac driver itself, rather than in the profiles. The UK driver has a later version number (6.57 vs 6.11) than the latest one on the US side, and US-side Epson tech support seems to be unaware that it exists.

hassiman
3-Aug-2009, 12:43
Joe,

So this new driver has made a difference with the dark AWB print problem? I can't see why a UK driver would not work here.... same machine... same profiles. Sad that the USA Epson folks are out of the loop on this.

Rich