PDA

View Full Version : Pyro and Glycin

Gary L. Quay
6-Jul-2009, 03:49
I'm thinking about doing an experiment. Unless any chemists out there know why I shouldn't, I want to try adding glycin to a pyro solution.

Reason number 1: I always have too mych glycin. Ansco 130 calls for 11 grams, and Photographers' Formulary sells it in 10 and 100 gram packages. I never seem to get through all 100 grams before 6 months, when I'm told it becomes useless.

Reason number 2: Why not? Glycin is a fine grain developer. Combined with Pyro's acutance properties, it could be a winning combination.

I want to try if first with PMK pyro.

Any thoughts?

--Gary

evan clarke
6-Jul-2009, 04:32
I'm thinking about doing an experiment. Unless any chemists out there know why I shouldn't, I want to try adding glycin to a pyro solution.

Reason number 1: I always have too mych glycin. Ansco 130 calls for 11 grams, and Photographers' Formulary sells it in 10 and 100 gram packages. I never seem to get through all 100 grams before 6 months, when I'm told it becomes useless.

Reason number 2: Why not? Glycin is a fine grain developer. Combined with Pyro's acutance properties, it could be a winning combination.

I want to try if first with PMK pyro.

Any thoughts?

--Gary

Try Germain's Finegrain to use Glycin, it's a great developer..Evan Clarke

Henry Ambrose
6-Jul-2009, 06:53
Glycin lasts longer than 6 months so don't worry too much about it going bad. Forum member jnanian uses or has used a glycin film developer with good results. You can search here on glycin to find more info. I've used variations on the 130 formula for film and have some posts here on the subject.

Richard Wasserman
6-Jul-2009, 06:59
I keep my Glycin in the freezer and it lasts a very long time.

Jan Pedersen
6-Jul-2009, 07:51
Gary, it will last a lot longer if you stick it in the freezer as Richard mention.
I have a little left of a 100g bottle that is about a year old and it is still as white as when i received it from PF.

Dennis
6-Jul-2009, 08:12
Mine is in the freezer as well and after more than a year it still hasn't started turning color.
Dennis

Steve Hamley
6-Jul-2009, 09:25
O.K., I'll ask the other, unasked question. "Why wouldn't you gladly replace it at 6 months?"

PF lists 100 grams at $18.95, so assuming you used half of it, you'd have about ten bucks worth left. Why would you for $10, risk the other chemicals (assuming they were fresh), and at least one sheet of LF/ULF film, say $4-15? not to mention the time you'd have invested and the wait to order more if the chemical(s) fail.

I hate to throw unused stuff out too, it's just my nature, but using anything other than fresh chemicals has to at least be thought of as false economy.

Just a different point of view for consideration.

Cheers, Steve

evan clarke
6-Jul-2009, 09:59
To answer the OP's question, just put 5 or 6 grams of Glycin in the pyrocat and find out!..Evan Clarke

Merg Ross
6-Jul-2009, 12:32
Glycin/Pyro and Glycin/Hydroquinone developers are possible for film development. Also, Glycin/Phenidone works for low contrast negatives. The original popularity of Glycin for film was fine grain and longevity as a tank developer.

Gary L. Quay
6-Jul-2009, 18:19
It sounds like I should just put it into the freezer. I am interested in the Germain's Finegrain developer mentioned earlier, though. Thanks for the input.

--Gary

Jim MacKenzie
7-Jul-2009, 17:36
I buy 100 grams of glycin and make 9 litres of Ansco 130 stock solution. That uses 99 grams. The stock solution keeps two years with good storage, and I can use it up within that span easily.

evan clarke
8-Jul-2009, 05:20
Here's a formula I have looked at in a couple places but I don't have a ventilation hood and mixing powdered pyrogallol is unpleasant at the least.

W-80

Water
600 cc

Metol
6 g

Paraphenylene diamine hydrochloride
10 g

Glycin
5 g

Pyrogallol
1 g

Tri-sodium phosphate (monohydrate)
2 g

Water to make
1 liter

Evan Clarke

evan clarke
13-Jul-2009, 11:18
Here's a formula I have looked at in a couple places but I don't have a ventilation hood and mixing powdered pyrogallol is unpleasant at the least.

W-80

Water
600 cc

Metol
6 g

Paraphenylene diamine hydrochloride
10 g

Glycin
5 g

Pyrogallol
1 g

Tri-sodium phosphate (monohydrate)
2 g

Water to make
1 liter

Evan Clarke

I made this yesterday, it is darker brown than anything I ever mixed. Due to the amount of Metol, I thought I would use it at 1+1. No development!! Clean base came from the drum. (I did add a pinch of sulfite prior to the Metol)...Evan Clarke

Kirk Keyes
13-Jul-2009, 23:06
Holy Crap - How can you tell what's going on with a developer that has 4 developing agents?! It looks more like someone took a kitchen sink approach to making a developer than one that is well thought out and designed...