PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought - line on negs

ChrisN
5-Jul-2009, 23:25
Please refer to the attach image file - this is one of the first six exposures from a newly-opened box of HP5 film. Now please ignore the boring subject and composition, off-level horizon, lens flare and the probable light leak at bottom right! This was quick test shot after all! Leaving all that aside, you should be able to see a near-vertical line, about one quarter of the way in from the left edge. The line extends from edge to edge, but is most easily seen in the bottom section. The thing that surprised me is that the line extends right to the edge under the side of the film holder. I suspect this means some form of faulty film. All six of the first negs from this box show the same line.

To test I'm thinking of transferring a sheet of film directly from the box to the developing tank (in the dark of course) and developing it. Would that be the way to start?

Thanks!

IanG
6-Jul-2009, 04:39
It's more than just a line, the left side of it is very slightly darker, it looks like a developer mark. You don't say how you're processing, but it appears that the left part was not covered by dev for a short time, the line is caused by the edge of the solution.

Ian

William McEwen
6-Jul-2009, 09:44
It's more than just a line, the left side of it is very slightly darker, it looks like a developer mark. You don't say how you're processing, but it appears that the left part was not covered by dev for a short time, the line is caused by the edge of the solution.

Ian

Wait, ChrisN said its also on five other negs, which makes me think something else is going on here.

jeroldharter
6-Jul-2009, 10:06
If I understand correctly, he said this is one of six shots but he did not say that all six have identical problems. Do all six have the same issue?

Looks like processing marks. How are you processing the negs? Do you use a pre-wet? Is the tank or drum dry?

ChrisN
6-Jul-2009, 14:36
Hi - thanks for the responses.

Yes, I did say all six negs have the same mark. In fact I can now add a seventh, as I have developed an un-exposed sheet and the same faint line is visible, edge-to-edge.

Developing is not the issue - I developed this in a CombiPlan tank with the correct quantity of fresh developer (DD-X). I've developed about 50 sheets this way without any development problems.

I'm thinking this is either faulty film or damaged in some way. The box travelled as carry-on luggage on one flight from the USA to Australia, so x-ray damage could be suggested - what does that normally look like?

Kirk Fry
6-Jul-2009, 23:27
I am also seeing uneven development issues around the edges especially in the sky.
KFry

Darren Kruger
6-Jul-2009, 23:37
Is the line always in the same position on the negatives? You might want to grab one sheet from the box and take a look at it in daylight without any development.

-Darren

ChrisN
6-Jul-2009, 23:56
Hi. Thanks again for your thoughts. Yes, the line appears in the same position on all seven negatives. I'll attach a digi-snap of the two sheets on my light table. Please ignore the uneven lighting that is caused by inadequate diffusion of the light from the flouro tubes. The line should be much easier to see on the unexposed-but-developed sheet.

I've contacted Ilford, and their local rep has asked me to send the sample sheets, and a few unexposed sheets, for inspection.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/3697358388_29803078d8_o.jpg

IanG
7-Jul-2009, 12:37
Perhaps an X-ray scan on the box of film. There's that's not a manufacturing fault.

US airports aren't all as modern as most of the airports in the rest of the world with regard to to carry-on baggage scanners and film. The TSA still officially recommends hand searches, not scanning, however most US airports will be safe, but those that aren't will offer hand checks. Most UK, EU etc have been film safe for years.

Ian

Eric James
7-Jul-2009, 12:45
Chris, I imagine you noticed the second parallel line on the unexposed sheet?

IanG
7-Jul-2009, 13:34
Chris, I imagine you noticed the second parallel line on the unexposed sheet?

And each sheet overlays another, so the problem is after packing in total darkness :D

Ian

ChrisN
20-Jul-2009, 04:19
Just to close the loop on this - the Australian Ilford reps have been very helpful, and have replaced the film.