PDA

View Full Version : Who is shooting 8x10 color nowadays?

Andre_1200
21-Sep-2001, 07:17
I'm wondering about how many LF photographs make they bread by shooting 8x10 and 11x14 in color? Today this formats seem to be B@W fine art territory. I know ab out landscape photogs Fatali and Burkett. But what about commercial, architectur e, advertising, catologue, fashion shooting in 8x10 color? Any magazine editors today looking for 8x10 chromes? May be Bently and Rolex advertising editors only ? Thanks.

john g
21-Sep-2001, 10:10
In Chicago some not alot but quite a few photographers shoot with 8X10 transparency. Most of the time when it is requested by the customer. However since Montgomery Wards closed the Chicago market has quieted tremendously. Then the national recession hit.

Michael Reidy
21-Sep-2001, 14:19
In this months Martha Steward Living magazine (with pumkins on the cover) there is a set of photos of bats (yes, bats). In the first few pages of the issue they introduce the photographer (I do not recall his name) and make mention that they were shot on 8x10.

mike rosenlof
21-Sep-2001, 16:59
Are Playboy centerfolds still shot on 8x10? I would expect so.

adam friedberg
21-Sep-2001, 19:17
it is sporadically used on fashion shoots, when it is in fashion of course. i've never heard a fashion or advertising client specifically ask for it, though (except for 8x10 polaroid). avedon shoots 8x10 color commercially. i know some portrait photogs who shoot it for editorial and advertising work. the film houses in nyc stock and sell it mostly to still life shooters (jewelry). it is not common.

Sean Yates
21-Sep-2001, 19:55
The last studio I worked with shot it almost exclusively - but that was room size sets for furniture, 12 to 20 sets at a time, 1week maximum/set

Ed Burlew
22-Sep-2001, 11:41
In Toronto two major portrait photos use 8x10 neg and the major photo vendors stock it as is Ekt VS trpically stocked. Getting 8x10 B&W is a complete mess in Torontowhetehr kodak or ilford. FOrte is easier to get in TO.The forte is the old superXX made in Hungary. Very smooth tones and it holds up well in high lights in T Max developer.

Ellis Vener
23-Sep-2001, 23:18
Most of the automotive photography you see, you know the really gorgeous portraits ofthe cars, are shot on 8x10. Very few architecture shoots are still done on 8x10. i imagine the same is true for most catalog photography because of the expense. Many very high end items like jewelry, perfumes and some fashion work is shot on 8x10. I'm pretty sure Richard Avedon uses an 8x10 Sinar for the Pirelli calendar. There are a few editorial photographers who use 8x10 cameras for their editorial work.

josh_2154
25-Sep-2001, 13:37
Richard Misrach

kthompson
25-Sep-2001, 14:37
There was a time when it was used alot over in the High Point NC area, in the big furniture market & home furnishings studios. Places like Alderman's and Norlings etc. I haven't been over in that area in more than 10 yrs., so I really can't say what they use now, but alot of those places used long roll contact printers to print the showroom catalogs, so the larger sized film was what they wanted...some shot bigger than 8x10 as well...I had a work internship at one of those studios, and although they used 8x10 cameras, they mostly shot on reducing backs (4x5), at that time (mid 80's). The one thing about the furniture market though, is almost all lighting is done with hotlights, and the sets can be huge....FWIW, another museum associated with us, has an 8x10 in their photo dept., although it's probably been more than a decade since that beast was used...we're all 4x5, and sometimes I feel like we're even in the minority.

Neil Lukas
26-Sep-2001, 03:01
8 x 10 is still used extensively in the worlds of Advertising, Magazine, Catalogs, "Fine Art" , and especially Illustration. Full page magazine ads (And an awful lot of covers), are almost always shot on 8 x 10 , as well as cars, trucks, jewelry, whiskey, .....I've even used it for Timex watch catalogs...when you have to fill the cover of an A-4 brocure with a killer image of the face of a ladies watch, it's the only way to go. And of course Joel Steinfeld, Richard Misrach, Richard Nixon, Sally Mann and others use it all the time. I believe Meyerwitz used it on his "Cape Light " series. Believe me, 8 x 10 is alive and well.

Sal Santamaura
26-Sep-2001, 11:29
Is Spiro Agnew still assisting Richard Nixon?

kthompson
26-Sep-2001, 13:22
He's busy blowing out holders right now...

Joshua L. Slocum
29-Sep-2001, 15:45
Neil:

Thanks for mentioning Joel! His name, actually, is Sternfeld, not Steinfeld, but I'm glad someone mentioned him nonetheless. He's a good friend of mine, and was my mentor in college. He has never worked in anything but 8x10, and his explanation of this, and his body of work did more to impress and form a class of snotty, how-come-my-pitchers-didn't-come-out college kids into real, thinking photographers than any amount of electronica. I spoke with him a few months ago, and he was taking the 8x10 to Europe to shoot the G8 protesters - documentary style!