PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Tech III "vignetting"

Ari
2-Jul-2009, 17:06
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Linhof Tech III, version 5, along with a Fujinon 210 (the older version) that is supposed to cover up to 8x10.
I shot my first batch of tests and one thing I noticed is that the camera back's rounded metal corners are visible on the negative and the print (photo attached-see corners).
I'd like to know if this is a typical Linhof occurence or if perhaps I'm doing something wrong; the camera was set to zero, i.e., no rise, fall, tilt, swing or back extension.
Should the camera's metal back plate be so visible and so sharp?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Ari

Peter K
2-Jul-2009, 18:11
Ari,

the "nominal image size" for 4x5" is a little bit smaller, 94,4mm x 120mm, as the film size itself to getsome space to hold the film in the film holder and in the enlarger. This space is also used to make the camera itself as small as possible. Specially with the rotating back of the Technika.

So it's not your fault or the camera's. Because the round corners are inside the frame if one cuts the images along the brackets of the film holder.

Peter

Paul Metcalf
2-Jul-2009, 18:29
I have to make sure my bellows has been extended to avoid this sort of thing. You can just stretch the bellows by hand once it's open - for some reason my bellows on all of my cameras seem to be sticky regardless of what I do to/with them.

(I reread your post - I'm looking at the bottom of your image - looks like some vignetting but maybe not).

Ari
2-Jul-2009, 20:50
Thanks very much, Peter and Paul (now if only someone named Mary would respond as well...:) ). By the sounds of it, I'm stuck with rounded corners in my images. I'll continue to try and figure out the reason, and if anyone else has the same problem on the same camera, please let me know.
Ari

Chauncey Walden
2-Jul-2009, 21:30
It isn't really a "problem", it is the way it was designed to be.

Peter K
2-Jul-2009, 23:12
Thanks very much, Peter and Paul (now if only someone named Mary would respond as well...:) ). By the sounds of it, I'm stuck with rounded corners in my images. I'll continue to try and figure out the reason, and if anyone else has the same problem on the same camera, please let me know.
Ari
As Chauncey mentioned before, it's not a problem. It's the same with the two notches in Hasselblad film holders, both the rounded corners and the notches are outside of the image area!

BTW after hundreds of exposures with my T III I've read your post and it was the first time I've "seen" the round corners on this negs.

Peter

Ari
3-Jul-2009, 07:22
BTW after hundreds of exposures with my T III I've read your post and it was the first time I've "seen" the round corners on this negs.

Peter

Peter,
Does this mean you get the same rounding of corners, or am I the only one?
Thanks

Peter K
3-Jul-2009, 08:06
Does this mean you get the same rounding of corners, or am I the only one?
Sorry Ari, you're not the only one. But as Chauncey said before, "it is the way it was designed to be."

Ari
3-Jul-2009, 12:55
Thanks very much, Peter.
Ari

Daniel_Buck
3-Jul-2009, 13:24
at the bottom of the frame, it looks like the bellows are blocking the negative. Maybe from bellows sagging?

Aside from bellows sagging, on my 8x10 (particularly with a wide lens) I have to stretch out the back of the bellows and hold them stretched with some velcro, otherwise it'll sometimes vignette the top/bottom of the film (particularly with rise/fall)

Chauncey Walden
3-Jul-2009, 15:16
That's true about the very bottom of your shot. Were the side hooks attached from the bellows to the front standard?

Ari
4-Jul-2009, 22:03
I'll have a look; thanks, Daniel.