PDA

View Full Version : linhof technika questions

Rick Tardiff
1-Jul-2009, 16:25
a newbie to LF, I am trying to figure out a linhof technika serial #58914(I think). I have it on the tripod, but cannot seem to figure out what goes to what. How do I open the aperture on the lens? what camera is this a III? thanks for patience and help in advance.

Bob McCarthy
1-Jul-2009, 16:44
Technika are wonderful cameras, certainly enjoyed the one I had. There is a manual online somewhere for the earlier models on the internet.

The manual is on this site

www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tech-manual.html

If your asking about using a large format camera, you got some learning to do. I always point out a few books

Leslie Strobel did the bible

www.amazon.com/View...Leslie-Stroebel/dp/0240803450

and Steve Simmons also did a credible book

http://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Camera-Steve-Simmons/dp/0817463534

Also there is a magazine that may help by the name of "View Camera", usually available at Barnes and Nobel.

This should get you started. I'd start with the books, magazines assume you have a knowledge base. Congrats' and the water is fine. Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to keep asking.

bob

Bob Salomon
1-Jul-2009, 17:07
You have a Technika III made in 1956

Rick Tardiff
1-Jul-2009, 17:46
thanks to both Bob's for the advice. The camera came with three lenses, a 135,a 150, and a 90mm, is this something I can use on newer cameras? I have ordered the Simmons book.

Archphoto
1-Jul-2009, 18:12
Think so ! All 3 of them and you don't need to get them from the lenboards either for it: just use an adapterplate.
Most of my lenses are on Technika lens boards and I am using a Sinar P2 nowaday's.
Technika's are great camera's, congrad's !

Peter

Chauncey Walden
1-Jul-2009, 20:00
The Technika III lensboards are different from the current ones. But what is wrong with using them on the great Tech III?

Tim S.
1-Jul-2009, 20:55
The newer lensboards are larger than the Tech III lensboards by several mm. So you could jerry-rig a Tech III lens and lensboard onto a Tech IV or higher, but not vice-versa. I bought some OEM spare lensboards off ebay (Copal #0 and Copal #1) for not much money in case I find decent lenses that are unmounted or are mounted to newer lensboards.

Check out the CameraQuest Technika page, very helpful: http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

Rick Tardiff
2-Jul-2009, 14:44
thanks for all the positive imput, I am waiting for the film to arrive! Another question, what is the best way to replace the groundglass focusing screen, and with what? Will a "linhof" off the shelf screen fit the tech III?

Bob Salomon
2-Jul-2009, 15:04
thanks for all the positive imput, I am waiting for the film to arrive! Another question, what is the best way to replace the groundglass focusing screen, and with what? Will a "linhof" off the shelf screen fit the tech III?

Nothing for the IV or later cameras fits the III. That means that ground glass and fresnels and lensboards are not available from Linhof.

Peter K
2-Jul-2009, 15:29
Nothing for the IV or later cameras fits the III. That means that ground glass and fresnels and lensboards are not available from Linhof.
But you can exchange the back with the current back 001614*, than ground glass and fresnels from the new cameras can be used. This backs can often be found second hand because Linhof has deliverd this back to other firms like e.g. Arri, Leitz and Zeiss.

Also the ground glass of the Master Technika has the same size as the one used with the last serie of the Technika III.

* I don't know it's still aviable.

Rick Tardiff
2-Jul-2009, 16:20
thanks everyone, I am not sure this is the origional back. it has DBP on the top on the right side and Apa on the left with a depth of field table on the back?

Peter K
2-Jul-2009, 16:55
thanks everyone, I am not sure this is the origional back. it has DBP on the top on the right side and Apa on the left with a depth of field table on the back?
It sounds like the original back. Here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tech-manual3.html) you can see the older version. Possible you can show some pictures from the back of your camera.

Rick Tardiff
2-Jul-2009, 18:40
thanks Peter, I have spent the evening on the computer, reading everything I can on this wonderful camera. I have seen photos of the tech III and mine has the same back. so what are my options for a replacement screen? Another thing I have stumbled across is that it appears the 135 lens is a "convertable" . A schneider symmar 5.6/150 and 12/265. It seems i remove the front element? I have no idea how to do that. This is going to be an interesting journey....my digital 35mm stuff is not half has interesting

Peter K
2-Jul-2009, 23:54
The course side of the ground glass has to be in exactly, thenths of a millimeter, in the correct position. So be careful if you remove the gg, spacers etc are in the same position if you remount it!

Clean the ground glass carefully with a sponge, soap and warm water and the brightness will increase. If your gg is 10,5 mm x 12,9 mm you can replace it with an actual Linhof one. But a LF-camera ground glass, also from other sources, is never as bright as a LCD display!

If you unscrew the front element of your Symmar 135mm from the shutter, you will have a 265mm lens. Now the green f-stops will be used. Of course the performance isn't as good as a Symmar f/5.6 240mm, but stopped down it can be used well for landscape and portraits.

The best way to know your Technika and lens, take pictures with it.

Have fun

Peter

Rick Tardiff
3-Jul-2009, 05:55
"The best way to know your Technika and lens, take pictures with it."

thanks for the sound advice, I am hoping my ordered film arrives today. Nobody carries any large format material in Bangor, Maine. The local Photo dealer has ordered some B&W film for me.

Thanks again, Rick

Rick Tardiff
13-Jul-2009, 17:02
I got my very first results from this camera,my first LF. The first thing I noticed was the huge negative, wow. I scanned a couple on my old epson 1200, don't think it did a very good job, I have tweaked in PS, the exposure and contrast are a bit iffy.
I eyeballed the 4x5 neg and compared it to an earlier MF neg and I seemed to have exposed the negative fine, I have already shot another dozen or so shots. My goal now is to get set up for processing.then find a way to scan them! Thanks again everyone for the help.