PDA

View Full Version : Observations while shooting 8x10

NiallPhoto
1-Jul-2009, 12:13
I've been shooting 4x5 in the field for a couple of years. Shot my first 8x10 image this morning. It took longer than with the 4x5: new camera, double checking everything again and so on. When I finally was ready to shoot, the squirrels I had disturbed on my approach and the feeding bird that had fled had returned. Since I was still and quiet, they all came back and managed to get in the picture, so the picture I had composed got some welcome additions.

It looks like it's a different game with 8x10 compared to 4x5, both of which are much different from 35mm and medium format.

What an enjoyable experience.

Note: assistant wanted, must be able to carry 50 pounds of equipment without complaint. No pay, no glory. Good learning experience.

sfgp
1-Jul-2009, 12:33
All expenses paid?

bvstaples
1-Jul-2009, 12:35
Note: assistant wanted, must be able to carry 50 pounds of equipment without complaint. No pay, no glory. Good learning experience.

Why do you think I had children?

William McEwen
1-Jul-2009, 13:33
Shot my first 8x10 image this morning.

Congratulations! 8x10 is a joy. Soon you'll start looking at that 4x5 camera as a small toy.

Walter Calahan
1-Jul-2009, 15:36
I love the pace of 8x10.

If you can't afford an assistant, get a used jogging stroller to push your 8x10 gear to the shot. The best money spent to haul 50 lbs of stuff.

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Jul-2009, 20:08
Heck, just get a backpack! It is funny, I've been shooting my 11x14 lately along with the 8x20 and now the 8x10 seems small! Once you get comfortable with a format you will be surprised how quickly you do things. There is that learning curve where you do not want to mess things up but after you do a couple of times you will grow to love the format. I sure do.

Jim