PDA

View Full Version : Scanning XPan panoramic negs -- suggestions?

Colin Corneau
29-Jun-2009, 14:57
There are many scanners for regularly-sized 35mm film - Nikon, Polaroid, etc.

But I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for frames that are 24mm x 65mm (XPan), not just the regular dimensions of 24mm x 36mm.

I'd like to avoid flatbeds for negatives - if so, I'd just as soon make prints in the darkroom and scan those.

Thanks,
Colin

Robert Oliver
29-Jun-2009, 15:43
you might look into a nikon medium format scanner and a custom neg holder if you want to end up with a scan and don't want to use a flat bed scanner.... I think i remember reading about doing it that way. I used to get my xpan transparencies drum scanned.

I wouldn't want to do a 3rd generation scan from a print...

drew.saunders
29-Jun-2009, 15:57
You could do this with the Nikon Coolscan 9000 (or 8000, available used), preferably with the FH-869G glass holder. The FH-869G has AN glass and comes with guides for various medium format films, and I've never gotten newton rings from it with 6x4.5cm film. You'd just scan using the 6x7 settings and crop (pre- or post-scan).

Don Hutton
29-Jun-2009, 18:13
I use a Minolta Scan Multi Pro; which has been discontinued for some years now, but they do turn up from time to time. It can scan Xpan negs at 4800DPI and it's optical resolution comes very close to that. There is a fellow who has recently had new filmholders machined for the scanner which help to produce outstanding results.

bdkphoto
29-Jun-2009, 18:41
Microtek 120tf will work, they have holders for 35 Pano as well.

George Stewart
29-Jun-2009, 20:26
Imacon (now Hasselblad) used to make the Photo and 343 scanners. You might be able to find a used one and have Hasselblad make you a custom holder. They made me a custom 35mm holder that showed part of the sprocket holes.

ljsegil
30-Jun-2009, 04:24
The Nikon FH-869G holder for the 9000 (?8000 also?) has a precut mask for the XPan format. Works very well. Can post an example later if desired.
LJS

ljsegil
30-Jun-2009, 04:26
Now if Nikon and the 9000 only offered a good solution for scanning 6x17. I dread the thought of double scanning and stitching, but have not found an alternative. Anybody aware of anthing that works?
LJ

Larry Menzin
30-Jun-2009, 05:46
Now if Nikon and the 9000 only offered a good solution for scanning 6x17. I dread the thought of double scanning and stitching, but have not found an alternative. Anybody aware of anthing that works?
LJ

Imacon does 6x17.

ljsegil
30-Jun-2009, 08:18
but will the Nikon 9000? Not that I have figured out, anyway, though things I figure out are few and far between.

Colin Corneau
30-Jun-2009, 10:22
The Nikon FH-869G holder for the 9000 (?8000 also?) has a precut mask for the XPan format. Works very well. Can post an example later if desired.
LJS

That'd be very generous of you, much appreciated. I've heard nothing but good things about Nikon scanners.

ljsegil
30-Jun-2009, 13:00
Slightly cropped (length) after scanning in the Nikon 9000 with the rotating glass holder, a little jazzed in PS. Hope this helps.
Larry

Colin Corneau
30-Jun-2009, 15:26
Thanks! Much appreciated...I realize flatbeds have come a long way, but there's nothing like an actual film scan IMO.

The XPan is such a great camera and such a sharp lens - be a shame to lose any of that in digitizing.

Fred L
30-Jun-2009, 17:46
indeed they have Colin and since you're shooting the full gamut, an Epson V700 or V750 would fill many roles. mf and lf scans are pretty nice. not scanning for prints mind you.

Lenny Eiger
1-Jul-2009, 13:52
Slightly cropped (length) after scanning in the Nikon 9000 with the rotating glass holder, a little jazzed in PS. Hope this helps.
Larry

Cinnamon Bay?

Lenny

ljsegil
1-Jul-2009, 15:00
Cinnamon Bay?

Lenny

got the island all right, but it's Turtle Bay.
Larry

Colin Corneau
1-Jul-2009, 16:44
Hey Fred
I'd kinda like the option to scan for prints, hence the neg-scanner line o' thinking.

Fred L
1-Jul-2009, 18:20
see if someone who has one can let you scan or get them to scan, properly, some stuff and see if it passes muster.

don't forget that the v750 can scan wet which is a noticeable benefit from what I've heard.

Archphoto
1-Jul-2009, 19:22
On a flatbed 6x17 would be no problem to me at all.
I have been scanning strips of 3 6x6 neg's on mine to get some .jpg's, works good.

Peter

ljsegil
2-Jul-2009, 03:45
Agree that a flatbed would be a feasible approach for 6x17, but was wondering if there is a workaround for the Nikon 9000 without splitting the scan and stitching in PS. The 9000 software will not scan beyond 6x9 (that I've been able to figure out) in a single frame, although it can do three 6x6 single negs or trannies, thus covering the necessary dimensions with a single holder (though with three separate scans, but one pass for thumbnails). So it seems to me that there might be some way to fool it into scanning the entire 6x17 strip in a single go, but I've yet to find the secret, if it exists.
Larry
Special mask works for XPan in the rotating glass holder, similar format ratio, so maybe a more creative soul than I has devised a mask to take the 9000 into the previously uncharted dimensions of the 6x17 film format. Not that Nikon itself is noted for its wild and crazy ways for using its equipment, perhaps even a bit on the staid side one might venture, but a wilier human than I may have already found a path to the grail. Are you out there somewhere, quietly lurking?
LJ