PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel with multiple formats

Hollis
29-Jun-2009, 10:05
I am going to be heading back up to Alaska in a week or so and I am in a bit of a pickle as to how I am going to get the gear that I want up north. I want to bring 2 camera systems, my Canon digital and 2 lenses (35mm and 50mm) and my Wista 45 SP field camera. I will probably be bringing my 150, 210 and 360 tele lenses with me as well as a small loupe, dark cloth (can go in my clothes bag), meter, 545 holder with quickloads and numerous double darkslide holders as well. Oh, I will also be bringing my laptop too which complicates things further. So, how the hell do I get all this up there? Fortunately, I will be buying a beater car once there and will be driving home in it so getting it all back is not an issue.

My digital usually resides in a large LowePro bag but it is not very effecient and my 4x5 kit is in a large storm case, so, can't carry that on the plane either.

I am thinking that I might ship a small box of stuff to a friends house in Anchorage to pick up on my way out of town so I won't be so weighed down while in Bristol Bay.

Opinions? Ideas?

eddie
29-Jun-2009, 11:11
you can do it. i took my chamonix 4x5 and 8x10. and my mamiya RB67 with film ONTO the plane with me last time! (i also carried the lenes as they were pretty small.

get one of those rolling carry on bags. that will hold your 4x5 no problems with a lens or two and some of your digital gear. i also use a backpack for my laptop and you can jam more film and the like in there as well. them pack the rest of your stuff in the hull. i have sent many many LF items into checked bags with no problemns domestically and foreign travel.....they do not wantthat heavy "worthless" stuff anyway.

hope this helps. it is very doable.

eddie

Walter Calahan
29-Jun-2009, 11:12
Shipping to a friend is the best way to go. When I worked at USA Today we shipped gear all over the country and overseas via FedEx. Saved big headaches at the airport.

Hollis
29-Jun-2009, 11:31
Ill never check any sort of camera again after the TSA (or american airlines, your pick) robbed me of about 10,000.00 worth of gear a few years ago. Ill probably put the 4x5 into my backpack, put the digital and laptop into a lowepro Stealth reporter and then have a checked bag for my clothes, tripod, film tent, extra holders (empty), etc. etc. etc.

By the way, will the checked baggage X-Ray's ruin ISO 25 B/W film with one pass?

Diane Maher
29-Jun-2009, 12:19
I never put any film into checked baggage, regardless of ISO.

Bob Denton
29-Jun-2009, 12:29
I travel internationally with too much gear. I have 2 cases. One Pelican with suitcase-like wheels and handle and a LowePro backpack. In the Pelican goes my Hasselblad H1, Leaf back and it's four lenses. The LowePro has my Canon 5D, lenses and other stuff. I secure both with TSA locks. Now the fun part. I check the Bogen tripod (In a Bogen soft case) and I gatecheck the Pelican. Then I carry on the LowePro.

It works.

kirkmacatangay
29-Jun-2009, 12:49
Rolling bag and backpack that fits the carry-on regulations of your flight should suffice. I brought a Crown and three lenses, 8 Grafmatics, changing bag, film (RDP and HP5+), loupe and filters, & DSLR two lenses, CF cards, and a Net book with cords in one bag. I had enough room to have a second set of clothes (went to Hawaii, so very little to really pack). I had room for another 4x5 camera but decided i had too much already. The non-essencials like tripod (a light Slik) and latex gloves (for changing film) were in the check in. Very do-able to travel with large format.

Kirk

IanG
29-Jun-2009, 12:59
You can't trust the checked luggage scanners, but they are becoming safer.

I wasn't allowed to take my backpack as carry-on luggage on a flight last autumn, and had no choice. In my frustration & annoyance I forgot there was a pack of 100 ISO 5x4 film, when I got back to teh UK I just tossed it on a shelf.

8 weeks ago I was testing some old APX100 so put a sheet of the J&C 100ISO film in the tank too, it was perfect. I gave it to a forum member for his first LF 5x4 shoot.

Ian

jp
29-Jun-2009, 13:18
I traveled last month and put things together like this:

Checked backpack: clothes, laptop, cables, monopod attached and well secured with ducttape AND backpack straps, lens hood for 300 2.8, empty film holders wrapped up to prevent dust.

carryon personal item: film

carryon: Pelican 1520 case with 4x5 speed graphic, minolta light meter, 2 nikon dslrs, 3 typically sized nikon lenses, 300 2.8 lens, filters, CF cards, event badge/paperwork.

I was treated differently regarding the film at various stops, and managed to have it xrayed once, and almost opened once. Apparently a couple of carryon Xrays isn't too bad for it, but I aim to avoid it. The camera equipment was pulled aside and swabbed ALWAYS. I would highly suggest, and I plan to in the future, ups/fedex/mail the film to and from the destination to reduce risk to the film. sending ahead the tripod, film, and anything bulky would be a wise idea. Anything that can help you travel without checked baggage. Traveling is much nicer that way. Tripods/monopods aren't supposed to be carryon. I couldn't manage to get my laptop in carryon, but it would have been nice entertainment if I could. I mostly just needed it to communicate with home/work when traveling, and for backing up and checking the digital photos.

Various airport people I talked to highly discouraged putting film through the checked baggage xray, or even gate check xray. This included a small airport's terminal manager, a TSA person, and a big airport's gate counter attendant.

William McEwen
29-Jun-2009, 14:37
A few things worth mentioning:

1. An agent at the check-in gate once told me that the carry-on X-Rays are much stronger than the check-in X-rays.

2. Last year John Loengard (Life magazine photographer) told me he took several rolls of 3200 speed film (unexposed and also exposed) with him on an international trip, and it went through the X-Rays at several airports in several countries. In his camera bag, not in lead lined bags or otherwise protected.

He said there was no change at all on those emulsions. He said the concept that X-rays harm film is a myth.

3. Since 9-11, I have done no air traveling with LF. My motto is now the old "If I can't drive to it, then screw it." I used to hand carry the camera (8x10) and put everything else in a custom cardboard box and check it, and the tripod would go in its canvas case. Never a problem, (except the tripod arriving a day late one time) although I realize it was just a matter of time before my number came up and something was damaged or lost.

4. When Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee travel internationally, they often just load everything in their Land Rover and have the Land Rover put into a container and shipped ahead. Like pretty much everything else they do, it is probably the best option! :)

PViapiano
29-Jun-2009, 15:35
NO FILM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE...don't chance it.

Also, re-evaluate what you really need to bring and downsize, downsize, downsize.

Also, shipping film ahead via Priority Mail is a great help and minimizes chances of radiation damage. I did this on a trip to Hawaii, sent it to my hotel for pickup when I got there and then sent all my exposed transparency film (from Hawaii via Priority Mail) to Calypso for processing.

Hollis
29-Jun-2009, 20:38
Well, all good options. Unfortunately, I have also tried shipping a vehicle (really, from New Zealand) in a container and it went missing for 45 days so, not really an option there. I have to have my laptop seeing as I will be gone for a month and downloading cards will be an issue over that length of time. I should get a little netbook and use that but Im already buying a new, lightweight tripod so, probably not going to happen. I am going to ship a small Rubbermaid actionpacker up with about 25-30 loaded film holders along with some light camping gear and some more clothes and a few essential tools so I can fix the beater car I am going to be buying and driving home. I should be good as is, as long as I can get the tripod in the checked baggage.

Also, to all who think that checking cameras or laptops is ok, rethink your position and buy some gear insurance. I have had my cameras stolen once and a colleague had his 17" mac book pro stolen out of his bag (we were on the same flight). Even with insurance, that is not going to save your ass when you get to location and need to shoot and you have nothing but the camera on your iPhone.

IanG
30-Jun-2009, 01:14
A few things worth mentioning:

1. An agent at the check-in gate once told me that the carry-on X-Rays are much stronger than the check-in X-rays.

Wrong way round. the carry-on machines are very much lower dosage and safe for film even with many multiple passes.

They now use similar machines at some airports for checked in baggage but higher doses and then different machines are used when something potentially suspicious is detected. So you could be lucky if your film was packed in a case with just clothes while if there's cameras, electrical good lying across the film have it fogged.

Ian

jp
30-Jun-2009, 09:21
I got a preprinted note inserted into my checked backpack acknowledging it had been manually inspected by TSA.

I use a $300 acer netbook with a 120gb drive; small, inexpensive, good for backing up CF cards. Not really suitable for photo editing, great for Internet and basic computing tasks. I tend not to worry about it too much. If I can get two years out of it, I consider it successful investment.

roteague
30-Jun-2009, 15:31
I would never use a rolling case of any kind. Rolling cases add too much weight. I've had carry on luggage weighed, and rejected. A light, simple backpack, like the one Rick Steve's sells is much better.

Hollis
1-Jul-2009, 01:53
Don't discredit rolling cases too quick. When you have to catch 5 flights in 8 days and trek across numerous airports and then on to set and back, etc. etc. rolling cases are a godsend.

roteague
1-Jul-2009, 15:23
Don't discredit rolling cases too quick. When you have to catch 5 flights in 8 days and trek across numerous airports and then on to set and back, etc. etc. rolling cases are a godsend.

It isn't a question of discrediting anything. Rolling cases can weigh as much as 8 lbs emtpy. Some airlines restrict not only the size of the carry-on, they also restrict the weight of the carry-on.

As airlines look for more and more ways to get as much revenue as possible from the traveling public, you will see them paying more attention to the bag weight. You may not realize it, but most foreign carriers already do this ... I know from personal experience.

I know exactly what you are concerned with, been there, done that. On a recent trip, I boarded in Honolulu, flew Auckland, flew to Christchurch, flew to Sydney, flew to Auckland, and flew to Honolulu - and I haven't even mentioned any of the traveling within New Zealand and Australia I did on that trip. That is just one trip. I carried everything in a backpack - 4x5, lenses, Nikon F5, lenses, film for both, and a digital camera. And, I was weighed in both Honolulu and Christchurch.

A good list of current allowances: http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecarryonluggageallowances.htm

Hollis
1-Jul-2009, 18:56
Fortunately I am only going one way. The only issue might be the leg of my trip from anchorage to king salmon. If I am on one of the regularly scheduled flights (twin turboprop) no problem but I have had to fly that leg before where they weigh each person and seat accordingly to balance the plane (6 seater usually). Fun fun.

H.

dave wagstaff
1-Jul-2009, 21:07
I pack my cameras, lens, netbook, in one of those National Geographic backpacks. It's quite heavy but I act like it's light weight (apart from the sweat beading down my forehead). I use a folding luggage carrier (just wheels and a frame) to haul it around. I take it off, fold up the wheels, and put the backpack on when boarding the plane. I measured it loaded and it's 38" stuffed (l+w+h).

When hauling all my luggage around I have straps and bungee cords to make a train of two suitcases, a wheeled carry on, and my backpack.

On the street I wheel my backpack around with a couple water bottles in the side and an old towel hanging over the top. Most people think I am homeless and steer clear of me. ..If I'm meeting a gal I give her a heads up first though...

When I was younger I used a large duffel bag, but I couldn't be without wheels now.

Dave

Colin Corneau
1-Jul-2009, 22:24
All great suggestions.

ThinkTANK makes good, well thought out bags for working photojournalists.

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/think-tank-airport-addicted-photo-backpacks/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1346071/product_review_think_tank_photo_airport.html

roteague
2-Jul-2009, 16:45
I pack my cameras, lens, netbook, in one of those National Geographic backpacks. It's quite heavy but I act like it's light weight (apart from the sweat beading down my forehead). I use a folding luggage carrier (just wheels and a frame) to haul it around. I take it off, fold up the wheels, and put the backpack on when boarding the plane. I measured it loaded and it's 38" stuffed (l+w+h).

I carry the 4x5, 35mm body (Nikon F6) and 35mm lenses in my backpack, along with film. On some trips, I'll carry a Nikon D200 as well, but I think I'm going to start leaving it at home (I'll stick with 35mm for small camera pictures). Right now, I use an old Swiss Army backpack, but I think I'm going to order one of the Rick Steve's backpacks for my next trip. I carry the 4x5 lenses in a fanny pack around my waist.

I'm always looking for ways to lessen the weight and distribute my gear while traveling. I would prefer a rolling pack as well; at 54 it isn't easy carrying all the gear on my back, but since Hawaiian Airlines weighs carry-on luggage I don't have much choice. Hawaiian's limit is 25 lbs. Qantas only allows 15 lbs (even less on their domestic flights).

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Jul-2009, 18:23
Since you are going one way, prepare to be explosive-sniffed. It ALWAYS happens when I fly one-way and request hand inspection. I'm with you though-- I try to check nothing that's mission critical enroute to a destination. Bulky LF tripods are probably the toughest.

Pack so that your carry-on is all easy to pull apart and get through and repack without camera and lens breakage. Recommend sealed film boxes or else take Quickloads with all your film sheaths out of the box in ziplocks. Get to TSA line way ahead of time or expect to have everyone behind you grousing about the 15 minute delay you just caused.

Hollis
18-Jul-2009, 23:22
Just an update but I have been in Alaska about 2 weeks now and have just come back to Anchorage from the Zoo/Circus/insanity that is Bristol Bay (Ill save that story for another day) and have been shooting my 4x5 like mad. In fact, I am kind of bummed that I didn't just take it and not my digital as well. Hell, I'm even thinking of selling the digital and buying the cheaper younger brother of the MK3, the 5D mk2 and using the difference to buy more quickloads.

Now, for the drive to Nashville via Homer, Via Vanvcouver, Via Portland etc. etc. etc.

sanju121
6-Oct-2009, 01:50
A point to note if you’re checking in luggage is that many of the travel accessories that are sold as luggage security items (locks, cable ties, security seals, etc) do not actually work to protect your luggage. You’d think for the money spent on these things it would take time to break into a bag, but it’s as simple as several seconds with a paperclip or even a pen. And people wonder why there is a problem with luggage theft. This site shows how the criminals do it: http://www.securoseal.com/main.php?id=318. The same site has also got news stories from around the world on airport and luggage related crime here: http://www.securoseal.com/main.php?id=325 – so it's worth a read if you’re planning on taking a trip soon.

csant
6-Oct-2009, 08:10
Something that I got from a musician colleague - I have never had the need to use it myself, but have been told that it works:

A start pistol needs to be checked in as a weapon on flights, but requires no additional license to be carried around. So they put such a pistol into the music instrument's box, and check the thing in as a weapon. You'll never get 100% guarantee, but generally speaking weapons are treated very carefully when transported on airplanes - they are very unlikely to just disappear.

QT Luong
6-Oct-2009, 09:56
Just came back from a transcontinental flight. I packed the digi system + 3 film boxes into a Think Tank airport accelerator carry-on, and the LF system (holders unloaded) into the Lowepro super trekker, checked. One of the levers on the Canham got broken (that's the first time this happens in many air trips), but the camera was still usable.