PDA

View Full Version : Differences between two samples of a Linhof Super Technika IV

seabird
28-Jun-2009, 00:20
Further to a post in the "Linhof Serial Numbers" thread, I have now posted some images and comments about differences between my two Super Tech IVs:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/technikas.html

Any comments, corrections, clarifications happily accepted.

Regards

Peter K
28-Jun-2009, 02:01
Carey,

the serial numbers are consisten because here (http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/technikas.html) one can see at the left a Super-Technika V with a T IV standard and at the right a Super Technika IV.

The range meter you have mentioned before has changed between T IV and V. But also the the bed, the bed stay brackets - one can find some T III and IV with broken thread of the bolt that stops the bracket moving backward - and the back have changed between the models.

Not only the sliding knobs but also the laquer. With the T IV the coarse "Hammerschlag-Lack" - I don't know hammer blow is the correct translation - was used excesively.

First this laquer with a nearly neutral hue was used for the "Kardan", the first Linhof camera on optical bench from 1962. With later cameras like the "Kardan-Color" the hue has changed to more gold-red. Later the hue was silver and at least the laquer changed to the smoth silver one can see at the bottom right picture here (http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/technikas.html).

The sliding knobs where changed during time for the use of the big Polaroid roll-film back. Also it's easier to mount the Cine-Rollex-back - for RF 70mm - when one uses a back with the newer sliding knobs.

Peter K

seabird
28-Jun-2009, 04:09
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your comments.

Your suggestion that 76076 is a Super Tech V with a Tech IV standard does make sense to me. Apart from the front standard which is clearly Tech IV, the other differences are consistent with what I see on photos of Tech Vs. But it still leaves the problem of Bob Salomon's advice that serial no. 76076 dates from 1956 (ie the start of the Tech IV model run). I would have thought a "transition" Tech IV would have much later production date (even if the serial number is consistent with a late Tech IV).

Stranger and stranger !!

Peter K
28-Jun-2009, 07:02
I don't think a camera with no. 76076 is from 1956. Bob Salomon has dated another Super Technika IV 71929 from about 1959. So 196x is much more likely.

Archphoto
28-Jun-2009, 08:31
With the Master you could remove the "hotshoe" quite easily, it is posible that somebody in the past exchanged the shoe for the Universal Finder...........
And the number of the camera is (stupid) on that shoe !

That would solve the whole mistery.

Peter

Peter K
28-Jun-2009, 08:37
The removeable accessoriy shoe was invented with the Technika V to get another tripod thread to mount the camera upside down. This shoe differs from the older ones.

Peter

Patrick Dixon
28-Jun-2009, 08:49
"Hammerschlag-Lack" - I don't know hammer blow is the correct translation

I think in English we'd say it has a 'hammered' finish.

seabird
28-Jun-2009, 15:19
The removeable accessoriy shoe was invented with the Technika V to get another tripod thread to mount the camera upside down. This shoe differs from the older ones.

I can confirm that the accessory shoe is not removable on 76076.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
29-Jun-2009, 08:28
With the Master you could remove the "hotshoe" quite easily, it is posible that somebody in the past exchanged the shoe for the Universal Finder...........
And the number of the camera is (stupid) on that shoe !

That would solve the whole mistery.

Peter

I seem to recall that on the Tech V (and Master) the shoe wasn't the only place where the number was located, I have a vague recollection that it was also located somewhere else on the camera, so you could compare numbers and see if the shoe was a replacement. Could be wrong, it's been a long time since I owned a Tech V and a Master.

Embdude
23-Oct-2019, 23:21
I have a IV and there is a hidden serial # at the back beneath the lowest right thin leather panel... I only know this because this leather panel has fallen off on my IV... Hope i'm not too late to the party!