PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with standout/block/mdf mounting?

bsimison
27-Jun-2009, 04:37
I'm researching alternative display and mounting techniques for an upcoming show, and I want to try something different that the black-frame-float-mat method I've been using. I'm interested in mounting borderless images on what some call "standout" or "block" on MDF or other substrates. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with that or any other suggestions to try.

Thanks!
-Brett

IanG
27-Jun-2009, 06:30
Back in the late 70's I looked into making these, it was before MDF and we used high grade chip board.

Very easy you get the wood cut, spray it black, then we sprayed an adhesive onto release paper and dropped the boards carefully onto the release pare, a quick trim and they were finished.

Mounting a resin coated print was just a case of peeing off the release paper and attaching the print at one side and smoothing it on to avoid air bubbles, easier to do than describe. The print should be a fraction larger than the board to allow for a final trim. The few I have left are still good after 30 years.

We couldn't make them cheap enough to compete with the imported boards that were then available.

Ian

Jim Michael
27-Jun-2009, 10:25
i had some prints for my office mounted on a material called dibond -- it's about 3/32 in thickness. There is a piece of gator foam glued to the back that is cut at a 45 degree angle and when paired with another piece of the same material and also cut at an angle makes a clever wall mount, I think it's called a cleat mount.

Ron McElroy
28-Jun-2009, 09:23
A light weight alternative to MDF would be half inch foam core. It is much easier to work and less trouble to hang on the wall. I've gotten it from a sign supply store.

jnantz
28-Jun-2009, 10:15
i often have things "plak mounted"
uv over laminate and the whole
thing is mounted on mdf and "edged" ..

Drew Wiley
28-Jun-2009, 13:45
Just realize that MDF and similar substrates are very active chemically, that is, the
exact opposite of archival, and I mean this as an understatement. People use this
kind of thing because it's cheap and readily available, but certainly not a benefit if you are trying to sell your work to anyone appropriately educated. Dibond was already mentioned, which is not cheap; but there are also thick versions of Gatorboard and Ultraboard, somewhat less expensive, and chemically inert.