PDA

View Full Version : sironar 9/480 what for?

boris
25-Jun-2009, 06:10
what advantage does a huge sironar 480mm have? large image circle? wide open with 11x14 film? does somebody really need it??
if i look at a fujinon 12.5/450 i can't see a reason to carry a sironar..
thanks, boris

Jim Galli
25-Jun-2009, 06:24
what advantage does a huge sironar 480mm have? large image circle? wide open with 11x14 film? does somebody really need it??
if i look at a fujinon 12.5/450 i can't see a reason to carry a sironar..
thanks, boris

Nor can I.

Oren Grad
25-Jun-2009, 06:53
carry a sironar

Rodenstock didn't market it as a backpacker's lens. I expect that most of the ones sold have been used primarily on big studio monorails, where the weight is moot and the larger aperture would be a plus for viewing.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2009, 06:55
Many people who bought it used it in a studio for product photography. We had one studio that used it on a 8x10 Linhof GTL to photograph paper plates and paper cups at 1:1 for production record shots. They used the 480 to preserve the roundness of the objects as the foreshortening when doing these shots with a shorter lens distorted the shape of the product.

Not everyone used large format outdoors.

boris
25-Jun-2009, 07:14
but it is not just weight also filter size and price were huge...
where are the benefits if you compare it to a apo ronar 480mm?

Oren Grad
25-Jun-2009, 07:27

Much larger image circle. Handy if you're working in 8x10, essential if you're working in 11x14.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2009, 07:34
but it is not just weight also filter size and price were huge...

The Apo Ronar is a process lens design. It performed optimally only at f22.

The Sironar N and Apo Sironar N hit optimal aperture sooner and held it over a longer range of apertures.

The people who used long Apo Sironars in the studio, as well as Makro and Apo Macro Sironars, were after maximum detail and performance from center to edge. Jewelry photographers; food photographers, etc. are some examples. A process lens could not match the performance and optical quality for these critical workers.
It was not a matter of size or weight or price. It was a matter of performance for the task.

Philippe Grunchec
25-Jun-2009, 08:53
Bob, you mean "only at 22" or "only at 22 and above"? (I have an Apo Ronar 480)!
Thanks in advance,

PhG

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2009, 10:51
Bob, you mean "only at 22" or "only at 22 and above"? (I have an Apo Ronar 480)!
Thanks in advance,

PhG

22. 600mm and longer are optimized at f32.

Steve M Hostetter
25-Jun-2009, 17:04
guys working in the field may need a bright lens for architecture,, I seen a pic of a bi-plane photographed in the desert in darkness with studio flash.. The photographer used a 480mm 8.4 APO Symmar.. It was quite a stunning shot! they covered the sand with shiny black mylar and to get the depth they needed they would have needed moocho swing.. It was one of the desiding factors for my going to LF
Some guys like the angle of veiw so much they take just it on backpack journeys with their 8x10 cameras(older guys like me with bad eyes) but good legs.. :D

Brian K
1-Jul-2009, 08:47
I owned one. I used it for many years for shooting 8x10 studio still life. It provided a reasonable working distance so that foreshortening would not be noticeable and it had a huge amount of coverage for allowing the types of extreme movements that can occur with still life.

Daniele Minetto
1-Jul-2009, 10:19
The Apo Ronar is a process lens design. It performed optimally only at f22.

The Sironar N and Apo Sironar N hit optimal aperture sooner and held it over a longer range of apertures.

The people who used long Apo Sironars in the studio, as well as Makro and Apo Macro Sironars, were after maximum detail and performance from center to edge. Jewelry photographers; food photographers, etc. are some examples. A process lens could not match the performance and optical quality for these critical workers.
It was not a matter of size or weight or price. It was a matter of performance for the task.

Mr Salomon,
I'm very impressed about your knowledge. It's always a pleasure to read your posts, thank you.
Daniele.