PDA

View Full Version : Banff/Jasper: 4x5 or 6x17?

shadowleaves
24-Jun-2009, 20:31
Hi, I'm planning a 1-week trip to Banff/Jasper NPs in mid-August. I currently have a Chamonix 4x5 (045N1) camera and 90, 180, 300, 450 lense, and a GSW690III for quick shooting. I'm also in the market of buying a 6x17 field camera, likely the Shenhao TFC-617A or PTB-617 which will appear on North American market soon. I will be able to use 90, 180 and 300mm lense on both 4x5 and 617 camera and I plan to also bring my GSW690III. The question is which one format (only one), 4x5 or 6x17, in your opinion suits the landscape (water, mountains, etc) in Banff/Jasper areas better? Which one will you bring with you if you travel to the area? I really appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks!

Andrew O'Neill
24-Jun-2009, 21:33
4x5. You can frame your subject in anticipation of 6x17.

jim kitchen
24-Jun-2009, 22:07
I use my 8X10 format, where I will periodically marry two images together to create a wide field image...

That said, and not knowing what your final printing process happens to be, I would probably suggest you bring the 4X5, since that format and your obvious assortment of lenses, will do you well. The mountain faces are close, where they are mostly obscured by the roadside trees, but there are a few significant viewpoints along the roads, and if you are willing to hike along a few marked trails into the mountain passes, you will find many more wondrous viewpoints, as well as one or two bears. Be prepared... :)

The sky in this part of the world tends to be without drama, where you can read that comment as "clear blue skies," but occasionally we become blessed with a wee bit of cloud cover. If I am out and about, and the clear skies are too abundant, my equipment migrates to the base of every thing growing out of the ground. I would also suggest that you are prepared for the warm strong winds that like to rip and roll off the leeward mountain sides.

Contact me off list, and I will give you a few directions that should assist you, if you have not been in this area before...

jim k

jim k

shadowleaves
24-Jun-2009, 23:55
Thank you Jim and Andrew for your help!

I'm not a professional photographer and my plan is to shoot some nice pics so that I can print and hang them on the walls in my home. 6x17 is appealing to me because I can order 20x60" or 30x90" Lightjet C-prints at my local store. I saw some 30x90" examples at the store and they're breathtaking! I shoot some 4x5 pics last year in Michigan (link here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowleaves/sets/72157608068438024/show/)) and I like the big 4x5 slides, but I'll be limited with a smaller output size (20x24, or 30x40). Also, If the sky is often pretty clear and empty in Banff/Jasper areas, wouldn't it be better to take 6x17 rather than the more square 4x5 pics, so that the empty sky won't take up too much space on the negatives?

- Han

Steve M Hostetter
25-Jun-2009, 06:11
Hello,,,

For me, I think a 617 would limit you just as much as a plain sky.. You can use a normal - tele on a 4x5, taking several pics and then stitch them together in ps and you'll end up with a much higher res image then you ever would with a 617cm image.
That is if your doing inkjet prints..

PS.. Nice fall shots of "lake in the clouds" !

Capocheny
25-Jun-2009, 08:38
Hi Han,

I'll second, third, and forth, the 4x5.... if you get the opportunity, take the short trip to Lake Louise and visit the old Chateau Lake Louise. I believe it's now known as the Fairmont Lake Louise (Jim may know better.)

Anyway, there's a shot down by the water facing the mountains that is a "must see and photograph."

Lastly, don't forget to take some bug repellent with you as the mosquitos can be quite annoying if you're shooting by any of the marshy areas.

It's a beautiful part of the world and I hope you enjoy your visit. :)

Cheers

Robert Fisher
25-Jun-2009, 11:12
Shadow, I had a GX617 (for a week) with me a few years ago in the Banff/Jasper parks - I didn't use it once. IMHO the 4x5, 8x10 is the perfect format - you can always crop.

Have fun!!

shadowleaves
25-Jun-2009, 11:29
Thank you so much for all your help, folks! I will take the 4x5 with me on this trip.

- Han

shadowleaves
25-Jun-2009, 11:31
Hi Han,

I'll second, third, and forth, the 4x5.... if you get the opportunity, take the short trip to Lake Louise and visit the old Chateau Lake Louise. I believe it's now known as the Fairmont Lake Louise (Jim may know better.)

Anyway, there's a shot down by the water facing the mountains that is a "must see and photograph."

Lastly, don't forget to take some bug repellent with you as the mosquitos can be quite annoying if you're shooting by any of the marshy areas.

It's a beautiful part of the world and I hope you enjoy your visit. :)

Cheers

Yeah I've heard about the Lake Louise. Looks like I really need to sit down and start to do some serious research into this trip now....Thank you for your suggestions!

Han

Jerry Bodine
25-Jun-2009, 12:44
"Lastly, don't forget to take some bug repellent with you as the mosquitos can be quite annoying if you're shooting by any of the marshy areas."

Not a small matter. When I was photographing Peyto Lake years ago with my Hassy, they were so numerous and fierce that I had to fan the camera opening while changing lenses to keep them from getting inside. I got just one shot (it was a dandy) and ran for cover.

Steve M Hostetter
25-Jun-2009, 13:44
speaking of mosquitos,,, I took a trip up to the Kankakee river and a guy was in a boat hurrying twards the shore.. He got up near my truck and I could see a cloud of bugs surrounding him.. I rolled up my window in a hurry and the guy looked my way and smiled in pain..

Merg Ross
25-Jun-2009, 18:33
Thank you so much for all your help, folks! I will take the 4x5 with me on this trip.

- Han

I think the 4x5 is a good choice, given your array of lenses. Be sure to visit Peyto Lake in Banff NP, the color is amazing; and of course, as mentioned earlier, Lake Louise is a must. You should get good clouds, at least I did a bit later in the season than your proposed visit. The area is fantastic, have a good trip.

This is a photograph of the Mistaya River in Banff NP.

lfgary
26-Jun-2009, 03:34
You didn't ask, but I will volunteer it anyway. Here is my favorite picture of my trip to Banff. Taken in the dead of winter with a orange filter. This is 30" x 40" in my home.

venchka
26-Jun-2009, 04:55
Yeah I've heard about the Lake Louise. Looks like I really need to sit down and start to do some serious research into this trip now....Thank you for your suggestions!

Han

Moraine Lake next door to Lake Louise.
Emerald Lake and a really tall waterfall whose name escapes me now.
Lake O'Hara if you can get in.
Maligne Canyon.
Maligne Lake & Spirit Island.
Angel Glacier
Mount Robson

That list could keep you busy for a summer. And only scratch the surface.

pkphotog
26-Jun-2009, 21:04
Emerald Lake and a really tall waterfall whose name escapes me now

Takkakaw Fall in Yoho Valley?

Chris C
27-Jun-2009, 05:37
The Chamonix has a graflock back doesn't it? If so, have you considered getting the Shen Hao 6x17 back? Could allow you to shoot both 4x5 and 6x17 without having to carry too much more.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=123

redrockcoulee
28-Jun-2009, 06:48
For a different kind of beauty you may want to check out Bankhead, walls and foundations from an old cold town very close to the town of Banff on the road to Lake Minawanka (spelling is no doubt wrong)

Nathan Potter
28-Jun-2009, 06:50
Moraine Lake next door to Lake Louise.
Emerald Lake and a really tall waterfall whose name escapes me now.
Lake O'Hara if you can get in.
Maligne Canyon.
Maligne Lake & Spirit Island.
Angel Glacier
Mount Robson

That list could keep you busy for a summer. And only scratch the surface.

Great list! Some of my favorite subjects. Takakaw (sp.) Falls is quite spectacular in Yoho Valley. Climb up the trail opposite the falls for a better direct view of the double falls and if you climb high enough the glacial lake feeding the falls will come into view. Angel Glacier has a particularly nice shape (almost hanging above the berg filled lake) and will be a modest half mile hike from the parking lot. Of course Mt. Robson is spectacular from the Robson River right from the Yellowhead Highway north of Jasper. I also like the intimacy of Johnson Canyon closer to Banff.

If you have access to a four wheel drive vehicle a great day trip is to the Bugaboo Mts. north of Radium Hot Springs. The gravel road into the Bugaboo Spire (need a good map) ends in a cirque with an impressive view of the spire poking up thru a glacier. I've had to move a couple of fallen trees near the end but made it OK with a four runner.

And for inspiration you might visit the Byron Harmon photo gallery (run by his grand daughter now I believe) right in downtown Banff. Ask for directions at the info center. Great LF photographs from the early Icefields areas.

Nate Potter, Prince Edward Island, Canada, temporarily.

shadowleaves
28-Jun-2009, 11:31
The Chamonix has a graflock back doesn't it? If so, have you considered getting the Shen Hao 6x17 back? Could allow you to shoot both 4x5 and 6x17 without having to carry too much more.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=123

Yes. I finally ordered a Widepan 617 back for 4x5 cameras from Panflex Ltd in China, the special design of which is said to enable shooting 6x17 with 210mm lense and Telephoto 300mm lense without vignetting...

shadowleaves
28-Jun-2009, 11:33
Thank you so much folks for your help! I really appreciate it. - Han

richard brown
6-Jul-2009, 21:03
sorry for the late post but just back from vancouver island..... I live in Canmore which is 20km from the Banff townsite. There are a bunch of us large format and film fans here and if you let me know when and where you will be here, if i don't have a wedding to photograph (usually weekends), I would love to take you to a few great spots around here.....what level of hiking are you at..ie. how heavy is your pack??? I am post bypass surgery but doing some more hiking these days... there are some great spots besides those mentionned.
email me pm
richard