PDA

View Full Version : An old petzval, renewed

papah
24-Jun-2009, 12:02
I recently acquired an old small petzval-style lens of unknown manufacture. Here are some results:

Mark Woods
24-Jun-2009, 12:06
Wonderful images!! Where can I find a lens like that????

MW

Archphoto
24-Jun-2009, 13:04
Wonderfull results, those old lenses are realy worthy of being used !
Love it !

What format are those shots ? 6x7 ?

Peter

Petzval Paul
24-Jun-2009, 13:25
The images are really funky! It may be the result of a reversed rear-element. This is a very common "fault" in these old lenses. The rear element is ALMOST symmetrical, but not quite. For some reason, they often are reversed and the result is a VERY oof image with only a small portion in the middle in any kind of reasonable focus. Of course, some people prefer them like that, which may explain why it is so common to find them like that - unless it's from cleaning them before selling and then not getting them put back together correctly.

papah
24-Jun-2009, 14:52
A few more...

An ebay find, which I mounted on my Nikon D3.

I have also adapted a 200mm Imagon and a 150mm Mamiya Imagon-style soft focus. Images in my soft focus gallery here:

http://hemingway.cs.washington.edu/portfolio/

Steve Hamley
24-Jun-2009, 20:51
Cool!

Steve

papah
25-Jun-2009, 10:19
The lens is mounted on a Nikon D3. I found it on e-b*y. I've adapted several others, including a Rodenstock Imagon 200mm. Photos from that lens and from a Mamiya 150mm soft focus are in my soft focus gallery.

I suspect that this lens may be reversed; I can't tell.

W K Longcor
25-Jun-2009, 11:26
Wonderful images!! Where can I find a lens like that????

MW

It is NOT the lens --- it IS the PHOTOGRAPHER! Really, really nice!

77seriesiii
5-Jul-2009, 07:24
that rocks!! If you dont mind me asking, what did you modify to get the old lens mounted to a modern 35mm mount?

Thnx

erick

Donald Miller
5-Jul-2009, 08:40
Hello Bruce, I visited your website and must commend you on your exceptional photography. The design of your site "rocks" as well.

papah
5-Jul-2009, 21:17
that rocks!! If you dont mind me asking, what did you modify to get the old lens mounted to a modern 35mm mount?

Thnx

erick

I mounted it in a #1 m42 extension tube, connected to an M42 to Nikon F adapter.

Mostly it was luck that it fit at all. :)

papah
5-Jul-2009, 21:18
Hello Bruce, I visited your website and must commend you on your exceptional photography. The design of your site "rocks" as well.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
28-Nov-2009, 06:19
What soft focus beauties you have on your site Bruce!

(You have PM about two soft focus lenses I recently found, fitting Nikon DSLRs.)