PDA

View Full Version : AWB Wind Stabilizer Kit - advice needed!

Phil Hudson
23-Jun-2009, 04:50
I am looking for a way to stabilize my 11x14 setup. I have seen the AWB wind kit but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about how effective it is?

Also, how does it attach to the front (and rear) standards? I assume some mounting hardware is permanently attached front and back and the rods attach as required?

For cameras with a smaller front standard the angle of the rods in situ will vary with the bellows extension - what provision is made for this?

Any pics of the kit in situ (or the components) or comments would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

lecarp
23-Jun-2009, 06:03
I recently added one, it greatly enhances stability, not only for wind and shake but when using heavy lenses. The kit came with all parts for mounting to both wood and metal cameras (with spares). All the mounting pieces pivot and swivel until locked down,
allowing for full movements. You will have to order extensions for the standard kit to match your bellows length. Everything, including mounting tools comes in a nice compact case.

Michael Jones
23-Jun-2009, 06:16
I am looking for a way to stabilize my 11x14 setup. I have seen the AWB wind kit but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about how effective it is?

Also, how does it attach to the front (and rear) standards? I assume some mounting hardware is permanently attached front and back and the rods attach as required?

For cameras with a smaller front standard the angle of the rods in situ will vary with the bellows extension - what provision is made for this?

Any pics of the kit in situ (or the components) or comments would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

I think Lecarp summed it up well. You do have to attach the guides for the rods to the standards and you may need more rods. I used the kit on my Korona 8x20 and it made a world of difference for that poor, rickety camera even at short extensions. It is intuitive to you and absolutely world-class construction (can you tell I also use Alan’s film holders?). I unqualifiedly recommend it if you have an older camera. Good luck.

Mike

Steve Hamley
23-Jun-2009, 06:34
Agree with the others. I've used it on a Korona 8x20 and even on an Ebony 8x10 for using large Compound #5 shutters.

I did attach the brackets to the Ebony with two-sided 3M foam tape rather than drill the wood for the small screws though. That resulted in probably 80% of the stability of having the brackets screwed down. Which was O.K. since the camera was rigid but I felt it was vibrating when the big Compounds released.

Rather than buy additional rods, I just bought an extra kit since I had two cameras that could potentially benefit. The extra kit will just get you an extra set of brackets.

A word of caution, I bought the last one from the View Camera Store off eBay and the brackets were too tight. I swapped them with the older brackets and then both sets worked. I commented on this in feedback and got a reply from VCS that I should contact AWB. No offer to help, refund, or exchange, so I was a little disappointed there. All other interactions with VCS have been positive.

Cheers, Steve

Phil Hudson
24-Jun-2009, 11:10
Thanks for all your input. I'll probably order two kits.