PDA

View Full Version : Dark cloth alternative

612tom
20-Jun-2009, 08:14
Hi

I'm currently using a black shirt as a dark cloth for composing and focusing on the ground glass, and whilst it does the job ok, it can be a little awkward.

I was looking into alternatives, such as those folding focusing hoods, or those right-angle reflex viewing boxes.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm using a 58XL most of the time which isnt the brightest of lenses to focus on the ground glass. Im on a Cambo so anything with a vaguely standard fitting should work??

Thanks in advance

Brian Ellis
20-Jun-2009, 10:03
I've used two folding focusing hoods, a Linhof and an Ebony. Neither worked very well. The Linhof has fabric sides so if you try to press your against it to keep out the light it collapses. You can hold it open with one hand but that leaves only one other hand to do everything else. It's a very good ground glass protector, though some might think $500 for a ground glass protector is a little steep. The problem with the Ebony IIRC was that with shorter focal length lenses you couldn't see the entire image at once, you had to move your head around to see different parts. Mine was the version made by Robert White, not the one made by Ebony, so maybe the latter is better. Even if either would fit your Cambo, which they probably wouldn't, I wouldn't recommend them.

I've always liked the BTZS hoods sold by The View Camera Store. They're light, fold up small, and do a good job of keeping the light out. Much better IMHO than a traditional horse blanket type.

I've used

Ben Syverson
20-Jun-2009, 10:39
I use a gigantic scarf I got at H&M. It's very wide and long, but thin and light. It's a bit over the top as a scarf, but it's one of the most useful camera accessories ever! :)

I use it as a dark cloth, but because it's so soft, I also use it to wrap cameras / lenses when traveling. So it does double duty!

Bill_1856
20-Jun-2009, 11:22
A Christmas present from my maiden aunt.

john collins
20-Jun-2009, 11:48
A Hybrid Blackjacket is the best I have used. I'm on my second one, the first was for a 4X5 and and now I'm using one on a 5X8. I recommend them highly. A review is posted on the homepage.

jp
20-Jun-2009, 11:56
I like the flip up hood on my speed graphic. I'd put it on any camera. I used to have a hoodman hood for my DSLR for similar result.

A folding cardboard box of the same shape cut on one end to contour the face will work well too. I do that occassionally on my CRT screen RF spectrum analyzer when it has to be used outdoors.

Doug Dolde
20-Jun-2009, 13:41
I always liked a black shirt or sweater best myself with the exception of a reflex viewer on my Arca Swiss. That was better than any dark cloth.

Dan Baumbach
20-Jun-2009, 13:55
I used to have a flip up hood similar to that on the Graphics on my Shen-Hao. It was useless in any bright light. I've found the BTSZ hood to be the most functional of everything I've tried.

- Dan.

Gem Singer
20-Jun-2009, 14:02
Cambo makes an excellent monocular reflex viewer that can be mounted directly to the ground glass frame of your camera.

It's made out of lightweight plastic, has a built-in magnifier, and can be turned vertically or horizontally.

New ones from Calumet are spendy. However, used ones show up once and a while.

Frank Bagbey
20-Jun-2009, 15:02
It is really difficult to beat a 3x or so heavy black t-shirt. The neck fits around my view camera very well and stays put. Not too hot compared to some commercial darkcloths. And to top it off, after a hard hike out of the shooting location, you can put the shirt on to replace your own dripping wet shirt!

ode to veeck
20-Jun-2009, 15:15
I never liked the reflex viewers myself, sold my arca within weeks of getting it
I use a lightweight brown leather jacket I bought in Turkey 20 years ago, even provides limited rain protection for shooting in the mist. Works group with my focuscope, mostly on the arca 810FC.

Kirk Fry
20-Jun-2009, 21:12
The crown/speed graphic hood is fine if you don't use a loupe, otherwise useless. I have a light weight 6'X4' black cloth with Velcro patches sewn into it and likewise on my cameras I have sticky patches of Velcro in appropriate spots. Works great.

K

Merg Ross
20-Jun-2009, 23:07
Cambo makes an excellent monocular reflex viewer that can be mounted directly to the ground glass frame of your camera.

It's made out of lightweight plastic, has a built-in magnifier, and can be turned vertically or horizontally.

New ones from Calumet are spendy. However, used ones show up once and a while.

Also available is the in-line, non-reflex viewer made for Cambo; it mounts as Gem describes. (Also available from Calumet). I have used this on my Cambo from time to time. However, I prefer to use a dark cloth to shield the film holder when withdrawing and inserting the dark slide. This, in my opinion, is good practice for field photography.

ljsegil
21-Jun-2009, 02:27
Black Jacket fan myself, found it much more comfortable in warmer weather (we used to get that in Chicago) than the BTZS. The 8x10 size has slots for loading filmholders and pulling dark slides with some degree of light protection though the openings can be awkward to use if the cloth is not exactly lined up with the back of the camera, and the smaller jackets have enough room for loading and unloading film while under the hood. Very satisfied.
LJ

Gem Singer
21-Jun-2009, 05:09
Thanks, Merg. I had forgotten about the Cambo monocular straight through viewer.

Seems like you and I were he only ones that noticed that the OP's original question mentioned that he was already using a dark cloth of sorts (black shirt), and was asking about alternatives to using a dark cloth with a Cambo camera.

wfwhitaker
21-Jun-2009, 05:11
For you users of the Blackjacket, do the arm holes really provide an advantage? I've been mostly using a BTZS hood and since my camera controls are outside the hood, I don't see the need for arm holes - unless I'm missing the point.

ljsegil
21-Jun-2009, 13:14
On my Canhams the controls for the back standard are usually under the cloth, which makes the armholes convenient for rear movements, and they definitely facilitate using a focusing loupe without disrupting whatever darkness I may have achieved under the blackjacket.
So yes, I find them useful (though sometimes hard to find when in a hurry).
LJS

goamules
22-Jun-2009, 06:49
My "original" cloth is black silk that came with a nice 2D. But it's getting ratty, and the wind makes it very frustrating. I'd use Kirk's trick with the velcro, but hate to stick anything to the cameras.

I've been thinking back to my Navy days. We had rubber hoods over all the scopes on the bridge. They were cone shaped, with an oval eye socket. Sort of like some of the old Graflex SLRs had: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150352723928.

Now I use a loupe, so such a hood wouldn't work without a small hole in the bottom to insert the hand. I don't know, it's got to be easier holding up some sort of "cone" than a flapping, sliding darkcloth. (Keep in mind I'm in the windy SW deserts).

Martin Miksch
22-Jun-2009, 07:33
It is really difficult to beat a 3x or so heavy black t-shirt. The neck fits around my view camera very well and stays put...
I find it very comfortable to have the neck around my neck.
Regards
Martin