PDA

View Full Version : Quebec City/Gaspe

Terry Hull
20-Jun-2009, 07:48
I am contemplating a road trip to the Gaspe penin. and wonder if anyone has made this trip, and if so any thoughts ideas? I prefer to take natural and commercial landscapes. Thank you.

Nathan Potter
30-Jun-2009, 05:50
Have made the trip many times. Photographically splendid depending on your subject persuasions. I used to go to climb Mont Albert in the Shickshock Mts. The alpine zone along the summit tableland is a biological wonder. I don't think you are forced to hire guides any longer. There is a very photogenic Hotel at the base of the mountain and a nice place to stay. My first stay in the Hotel Beaurivage in St. Anne des Monts was for $6.00 in 1964.

There is a nice parc at Cap de Rosiers (I forget the parc name) with a magnificent cobble beach that is splendid for nature photography. I also like the photographic possibilities around Perce' at the tip of the Gaspe' - seek out a motel overlook on the left as you drive into Perce' from the north. A lot of stuff all around the periphery of the penninsula but you will be a prisoner of maritime weather which can be long rainy periods from NE ocean storms or adverse weather patterns.

I'm currently stuck in a prolonged rainy period on Prince Edward Island and it looks like 7 to 14 days of continuous rain. There will be breaks so the photography is very opportunistic. BUT, I've also found continuous stretches of fine weather on occasion.

Nate Potter, Prince Edward Island, temporarily.

Pete Roody
30-Jun-2009, 06:23
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to see/shoot in and around Quebec City?

Nathan Potter
30-Jun-2009, 16:47
Pete, I've not done much in Quebec City but nearby I like the Ille D'orleans. Nice and unusual quaint farm and village country.

For Quebec City I think I'd concentrate on the architecture in the older part of town.

Nate Potter, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Terry Hull
1-Jul-2009, 17:57
Thanks Nathan. Couldn't come up with a good plan, which coupled with a cheap air fare to the Pacific northwest caused me to change my trip

Nathan Potter
2-Jul-2009, 05:01
Terry, now I remember the parc at the tip of the Gaspe'. It's at Cap Bon Ami (sp.?). It's a landscape paradise of rock formations, cobbles and sea.

Nate Potter, PEI, Canada (currently land of raindrops, puddles and red mud)

Jim MacKenzie
5-Jul-2009, 21:37
If you do the city, be sure to do a day trip to nearby Île d'Orléans, which I found to be a great photographic destination when I visited Québec City in 2000.