PDA

View Full Version : Tools needed to tighten lens to lens board

Washington Bob
19-Jun-2009, 22:40
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have loads of questions. I have a loose lens in a lens board and need to tighten it up.

What tool or tools do they make for this and where should I start to look for them?

I have a 210mm Schneider in a Wista lens board that is loose and needs to get tighter.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Camera tools in general...any ideas on dealers that stock them?

Thanks everyone for your help,
Washington Bob

Capocheny
19-Jun-2009, 22:46
Hi Bob,

Contact Jeff at Badger Graphics and ask for a spanner wrench. They usually carry a no-name brand (as opposed to a Rodenstock model) in stock and cost about $20 or so.

Jim at Midwest also carries them.

Alternatively, S.K. Grimes has a different version. But, I believe it's quite a bit more costly than the ones mentioned above.

[Do a search for "spanner wrenches" via the search function and you'll see a number of threads previously posted on this forum.]

Cheers

lenser
19-Jun-2009, 22:49
You will need a spanner wrench. They can be found from Calumet, S.K. Grimes, B&H Photo and many other outlets. Some are adjustable and very heavy duty, others are like a metal card with prongs that engage several differnet sizes of shutter flanges. Prices can range from about thirty to well over one hundred dollars for the really tough ones.

Ron Marshall
19-Jun-2009, 23:35
These are the main types available. The cheap one does just fine.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=175

ki6mf
20-Jun-2009, 04:35
The non adjustable type of spanner have fixed lengths and will not work on some of the smaller diameter lenses for the smaller Graflex lenses if this is an issue you may need to go to the more expensive adjustable types. I personally use the non adjustable wrench and it works fine.

john collins
20-Jun-2009, 05:40
These are the main types available. The cheap one does just fine.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=175

I have no doubt that Ron's idea is correct. Photographers don't normally use spanners all that much, but if you are interested in build quality the spanner from SK Grimes is the best I have ever used.

Richard K.
20-Jun-2009, 05:57
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have loads of questions. I have a loose lens in a lens board and need to tighten it up.

What tool or tools do they make for this and where should I start to look for them?

Bob, you will first need to remove (unscrew) the rear element and then use either an adjustable or fixed spanner wrench to tighten the Copal shutter to the lens board, then rescrew the rear element. This same tool allows you to remove the lens/shutter from the board. It's easy, don't worry. Welcome to the forum.

Gem Singer
20-Jun-2009, 06:10
"A 210 Schneider on a Wista lens board".

This lens is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. The lens board is metal.

The only tool you will need is the inexpensive flat key type shown on the Badger website.

Remove the rear element. Hold on to the shutter. Tighten the retaining ring with the Copal 1 side of the key wrench. Screw the rear element back in, being careful not to cross thread it.

Washington Bob
20-Jun-2009, 06:48
Hi Everybody,
Thanks so much for your advice and help.The flat key wrench sounds like exactly what I need. I am looking forward to the photos I can make in this 4x5 format.
all my best,
Bob

Dave Loftus
20-Jun-2009, 07:04
My Ektars have 3-hole flanges; a little work with a piece of scrap MDF, some #6 machine screws, and a drill press and woo-hoo! a homebrew ghetto spanner wrench. About the only ambitious about this project was chucking the screw into the drill press to file down the diameter of the tips to fit the flange holes. My original intent was to migrate this onto a nice round piece of finished hardwood, but as often as I use this wrench I'm declaring it "all done" as is. Less than $1 total outlay.

Steve Gledhill
20-Jun-2009, 07:29
Some lens boards have a recessed hole which does NOT have sufficient room to allow the flat wrench blades to slot into the locking ring slots. So I found out some years ago after I'd bought a flat wrench. A pointed wrench such as the one from SKGrimes is more 'universal'.

Colin Graham
20-Jun-2009, 08:32
Maybe try hand-tightening too in a pinch. I haven't used a spanner in a few years.

Jon Shiu
20-Jun-2009, 09:05
Yes, just put your thumb on the lockring and turn the shutter to tighten (assuming no indexing pin).

Jon

Daniel_Buck
20-Jun-2009, 09:07
Maybe try hand-tightening too in a pinch. I haven't used a spanner in a few years.

indeed, I usually just tighten by hand. Though, I do have a flat wrench somewhere.

Washington Bob
20-Jun-2009, 20:39
Hi Everybody,
Thanks to all for the help. I used the hand tightening method..gently...and it worked just fine. That is why this forum is such an awesome asset to us first time LF users. I am looking forward to making some wonderful photos with this fine Linhof Technika IV.
Bob

robertmgray
10-Sep-2009, 10:21
I'm sorry to awaken this thread after the problem has been resolved, but I'm new. I have everything I need but a tripod (on the way) and a lens wrench (forgot to order.) So I'm under the impression that I can disassemble the lens and attach it to the board with a small screwdriver for the screws and then hand tighten the lens ring? Is that correct? I will buy a lens wrench eventually, but I would really like to be able to have it assembled by the time my tripod gets here tomorrow.

Thanks for your time, I would greatly appreciate an answer to what might seem stupid to others, I'm just anxious and I want to make sure I can do it correctly now.

Jon Shiu
10-Sep-2009, 10:56
Yes, just turn the shutter body from the front of the lensboard to tighten, while putting your thumb on the lockring in back to hold it still. (If there is a small screw sticking out from the back of the shutter, remove this "indexing pin" first.)

Jon

Ernest Purdum
11-Sep-2009, 11:29
I like to use needle files to make a small notch for the tiny screw. I realize, though, that the hand tightening method above won't work with the pin in place. I have managed to get the ring tight enough just by using my fingernails as a spenner.