PDA

View Full Version : polaroid back on Linhof TK23

robert lyons
16-Sep-2001, 16:21
I just purchased a polaroid back for my TK23 and notice that it only fits the ca mera in a vertical position,does anyone have information about this? it seems od d it cannot be used in the horizontal position and i am wondering if i have the wrong back or if this is the case. i had expected a back that would be more conv enient to use with this camera. thank you in advance for any help with this prob lem.

Bob Salomon
16-Sep-2001, 16:29
There is only 1 Polaroid back 001666.

It comes with instructions. Did you buy a new back or a used one?

Christopher Campbell
16-Sep-2001, 18:21
I'm afraid that I don't have any experience with the Linhof TK23, but I ran into the same thing earlier this year with a new Arca-Swiss F-Metric 6x9. On that camera, the clearances are such that one can easily mount the Polaroid back in a horizontal orientation, but not as a vertical. Happily, I realized after a few minutes that if I raised both the front and rear standards 3 cm (half the available amount), then the back could be mounted in the vertical orientation. Perhaps you can do something similar? The other problem I found with using the 405 holder series films on the Arca is that the film area exposed by the back is much larger than the 56 x 82 mm aperture of the Arca/Horseman rollfilm backs. If you run into a similar problem, my solution was to make something approximating a hinged mat that holds the print in a consistent position, with an aperture of the correct size that swings down over the print (made from a Franklin transparency mat). This way, I can use the 664 prints as checks both on exposure and composition limits.

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2001, 10:27
The Linhof Polaroid back 001666 for the TK 23 and the ST 23 takes a square image. Rotating won't change anything.

robert lyons
17-Sep-2001, 12:53
Bob,please clarify. yesterday you sent me a personal email asking that i call you as the newest version back you said worked both ways,today you reply it makes a square image. i have just measured the image which is 21/4"xa wee bit more than 31/4" so that is a rectangle. further if the tk23 camera is a 6x9 why make a back that makes a square image-it does not seem right,one can hardly use this polaroid back to the cameras full potential.